Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 Talk

NCV3 Talk General Discussions related to NCV3 Sprinters.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:34 PM   #31
cc_windsurfer

Default Re: Adding a House Battery

Lithium batteries can be great and can be quite cost effective

...but if you don't have appropriate charging you will find it very limiting over extended use. Remember over time Pin must be greater than Pout - the battery is simply a buffer to allow time shifting your power usage. This is true with any battery technology

Reading what was said above, the GZ unit is being used to power high demand things like pressure cookers via an inverter. This means likely using most of the capacity daily. I also read about charging at 5 or 10 amps while driving. this means > 20 hours or > 10 hours a day driving (that won't work for me since my wife tells me I get grumpy if I drive that much). Augmenting with a single 50W solar helps, but likely not enough. I still see this implementation as a short-term solution - good for a few days, but with extended use you end up with a perpetually dead battery.

Don't want to badmouth GZ, to me it looks like they designed this system to be an easy solution intended for people who go camping a couple of weekends a year -This may be perfect for your use case, or it may not.
cc_windsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:51 PM   #32
john61ct

Yes designed to take for a weekend, power fan, lights and screen gadgets, then recharge overnight on mains.

No way electric cooking for any length of time
john61ct is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:52 PM   #33
speedsurfer

I agree with the above statements about electric cooking unless you've got a lot of solar and you cook for short periods during the day. It was only a test to see if we could make rice in the Instant Pot and the GZ cooked it perfectly and went from 100% to 80% which I thought was impressive. I have no vested interest in GZ but feel there is a lot of misinformation out there. I do want to give you updates on some of the complaints about the GZ as they have come up with solutions, although you have to buy extra equipment.

I use the GZ lithium 1000 full time in my van with 200W solar on the roof. It runs an ARB 50 or Dometic 40 full time at nearly 100% charge. It gets down to 70-80% overnight. It powers occasional lights, TV/DVD player, fans, water pump, and charges phones, laptops etc. I can use it sparingly for an electric blanket. I bought a second so I can have backup power for a freezer or extra fans in high heat. Yes it is true they put out less than 12V so that is why it is necessary to use the 12V regulator cable for the fridge due to low voltage disconnects built into the fridge. Initially GZ lithiums could not run refrigerators on DC and a lot of people complained thus the bad reviews. Of course a GZ can run a fridge on AC but you lose 15% efficiency that way. This has been a known issue and that's why they made the cable. I know that should not be needed in the first place but it works great for refrigerators and I run it 24/7. Every other 12v appliance I use runs fine. I'm sure they did that to conserve battery life which means your other 12v appliances will run longer on a slightly lower voltage.

Slow charging was also an initial complaint of the GZ. Initially the only way to charge was the stock AC unit which took 1-2 days. Now they have multiple fast charging options. Remember that lithium charges faster and more efficiently than lead acid, especially the last 20%. Lithium does not need float charges like lead acid. The GZ LINK can pull directly from the alternator at 25-50 amps. The fast AC charger charges at 25 amps. A simple 12V charger with 5 or 10 amp select is useful when working together with solar (they can accept multiple charging inputs at the same time). I intend to use that cable to charge 1 GZ from the other (essentially creating a 200AH dual lithium battery system) but it's on back order. You can add on a folding solar panel to any of the charging inputs anytime. They created a MPPT charge controller which can plug in directly to the GZ for 15% higher efficiency. Of course GZ makes you pay you extra for these things but at least it seems high quality and you can choose what you need. I have only the 12V regulator cable and the MPPT charge controller.

I hope that clarifies some of the issues brought up on the GZs. I think the initial fridge problems gave them a bad reputation. It took me a while to realize they are actually pretty good little units.

https://www.goalzero.com/shop/yeti-a...RoCxz4QAvD_BwE

Last edited by speedsurfer; 05-16-2019 at 06:24 PM.
speedsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speedsurfer For This Useful Post:
life_goes_on (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 02:24 AM   #34
john61ct

Still waiting for a supply link to a self-service internal battery replacement
john61ct is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:46 PM   #35
speedsurfer

There is no replacement. When it dies it dies. The point I was trying to make is that the GZ lithium 1000 with 98AH at 799 with all the bells and whistles is still cheaper than the Battleborn 100AH at 949 for just the battery. Also, they can be used full time in a van if you know what you are doing contrary to what some people are posting.

To be fair there are a few negative about the GZ. I don't like the 8mm ports, or the way they put Anderson charging ports in a vertical manner. Their cables and accessories are overpriced. It's harder to run wiring with their outputs although it can be done with add on cables and an Anderson fuse block. The GZ warranty is only 1 year and the Battleborn is 8 years. Although Costco often takes back anything. For someone just running a fridge the GZ and a solar panel is fine.
speedsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote