Winch launch gliders?

lindenengineering

Vic
Glad that short post piqued your interest!:thumbup:

As a kid in high school, all if not most boys were encouraged (as part of the school Esprit de Corps) to be members of the school cadet forces. I chose Air Cadets.
Here is a typical Saturday at RAF South Cerney!

I might add that USAF/RAF base Brize Norton is/was nearby and it wasn't the first time that "convenient & unpredictable wind" made the instructor decide to Letsgo see the Yanks at their gliding club!:rolleyes:
Anyway
Launching RAF style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzoomMnaa68

Enjoy--The Kirby is the silver bird
Dennis

edfrompa

2008 ROADTREK on F/L 2500
Hey, looks like a real kick in the .... Anyone know if there is any place near central PA to try it??....I'm assuming they have dual control for instruction/rides.

D

Deleted member 50714

35-years ago, I knew two captains who augured-in a Schweitzer just north of Edwards Air Force Base, And no, I did not work on the airplane.

Attachments

glasseye

In "Bird on a Wire", Mel and Goldie knock out the bad guys' helicopter by flying their Piper Cub overhead and taking out the helicopter's rotor system with their undercart.

The collision between the Piper and the Hughes was easy to shoot. We used full-scale mockups and dangled stuff from a crane. But landing the Piper and their subsequent escape had to be real. We stationed ourselves in a gravel pit, waited for the aircraft to arrive and shot the landing, which proved both photogenic and fun, thanks to the stunt guys and their capable pilot.

I later asked them, "How'd you launch the wheel-less plane?" Designing and implementing a system where the undercart would drop off after takeoff would be problematic and expensive. And what would happen if it failed and they were stuck with a half-deployed undercart dangling underneath?

They didn't use a winch like we see here. Anybody wanna guess how you take off with no wheels? :hmmm:

glasseye

On a modified flatbed truck?
wow!

In just a few minutes, Nox is the winner! Not much modification, really. Just a low bed. Powered up the Piper, drove like mad down the runway until it lifted off.

(full marks, but he musta had previous experience)

icarus

My neighbor flies in national and international competitions in a powered glider. His only limit to time and distance under good conditions is is O2 supply. I didn’t realize he often flies above 25k feet! Full transponder and encoding altimeter to make sure the airliners don’t hit him!

Icarus

D

Deleted member 50714

:thinking:
wow!

In just a few minutes, Nox is the winner! Not much modification, really. Just a low bed. Powered up the Piper, drove like mad down the runway until it lifted off.

(full marks, but he musta had previous experience)
Hey, Duh Eye, what's my prize?:thinking:

glasseye

Well, now that I see how common a practice this is I’m not so convinced of your genius. I had no idea this was so easy. All this time I’ve been worshipping the Hollywood stunt guys’ skill and cunning, but now I see it’s an everyday occurrence.

Whadya think, boys? Is Nox a genius? Or just another YouTube pilot? :popcorn:

I might have another test for your smarty-ass. :bow:

But First, I have to get power and Internet. back. Hydro failed @ 0300 this AM and I’m limited to my cell data.

I was impressed by how little speed it took to get the winch launch gliders into the air. They were basically flying before the running wing steady person let go.

On steady windy days there were some wing over Cessna 150 pilots which loved to fly low to the runway into the wind. They could get down slow enough in speed over ground to make it appear as though they were flying backwards.

Conditions needed to be right. Not being a pilot I have no idea whether it was a smart thing to do or not. It was impressive to me though.

:cheers: vic

icarus

Read Richard Bach’s “Bi-plane” sometime. His story about buying a flying a vintage biplane across the country. He describes landing in high winds somewhere in the desert of CA or AZ, ACROSS the runway, and “flying” nearly up to the fuel pumps. the airplane doesn’t care if it is making progress across the ground, only if enough air is passing over (and under) the wings to create enough lift. A plane can fly “backwards” relative to the ground if there is enough head wind.

The reason that small ( and large) planes are tied down, and have gust locks on the controls...to keep them from flying.

Icarus

D

Deleted member 50714

I was impressed by how little speed it took to get the winch launch gliders into the air. They were basically flying before the running wing steady person let go.

On steady windy days there were some wing over Cessna 150 pilots which loved to fly low to the runway into the wind. They could get down slow enough in speed over ground to make it appear as though they were flying backwards.

Conditions needed to be right. Not being a pilot I have no idea whether it was a smart thing to do or not. It was impressive to me though.

:cheers: vic
Yes, I experienced similar while taking lessons at Van Nuys Airport, at times the busiest general aviation airport in the country. It was during a notorious Santa Anna wind condition practicing Touch and Go's and crab angle technique. During one take-off the instructor briefly hovered the 150 Areobat, a hazardous stunt indeed. And yes, it is not a wise stunt to perform but certainly a thrill for an invincible young adult. Too bad youth is wasted on the young. :cry:

NOx

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Ana_winds

Oh, forgot

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Nuys_Airport

Last edited by a moderator:

tinman

Been there, done that. Not much fun when the mpg goes into negative territory. To say nothing of taxiing in howling winds. Worst ever for me was "flying" all the way into the tiedowns, shutting down after a rampy on each wing attached a chain. It's what was known in the trade as a "drunk front". i.e. can't fly, might as well head to the bar.

Pretty common to use a dolly to get a floatplane off an airport in the spring. Landings on dollies are a little tougher! Actually usually land on the grass beside the runway on the morning dew or frost.

Top Bottom