2016 Crew Camper for Family of 4

sebcbien

hmmm I have this system and I'm changing.
You also need an "plate" exchanger.
The problem I have is that the system generate hot water, IfI do not use it "enough" the system stops. When I need it again, it takes times to start again.
One solution to avoid frequent restarts (and battery consumption) is to have a container to store hot water.... but then the compacity...
And it smells so I have to keep doors shut, even for cleaning dishes...

So .... well, now I'm setting up a webasto 2000stc "Portable" (so I do not need to take it with me when going in hot countries) and an elgena boiler 12v200W 6L.

sprinterPaul

You also need an "plate" exchanger.
The problem I have is that the system generate hot water, IfI do not use it "enough" the system stops. When I need it again, it takes times to start again.
One solution to avoid frequent restarts (and battery consumption) is to have a container to store hot water.... but then the compacity...
And it smells so I have to keep doors shut, even for cleaning dishes...

So .... well, now I'm setting up a webasto 2000stc "Portable" (so I do not need to take it with me when going in hot countries) and an elgena boiler 12v200W 6L.

I have an isotemp 4 gallon tank already installed. This is just to heat more water when I use up most of my stored hot water. I have a portable propane system. Worked just fine but takes up space inside and I have to set it up. All of these systems are installed (or will be) below deck and out of my way.

It's the setup which is that final barrier to doing something. Like taking a shower when you are tired and hungry. Lots of choices out there. This is what I find best.

sprinterPaul

Just for reference; this isn't my final layout for the hydronic heater. Since this is not an espar d5; but a different make: I wanted to be sure it worked prior to installing it all. Just a little confidence booster for me. Sometimes it's easier biting off little chunks of the project at a time.

I'm trying to wrap up the last little additions so I can get back to adventuring more.

Anyway; Thanks for the feedback. Have you thought about adding a hot storage tank instead?

sebcbien

Hi Paul,
I sold my Sprinter some months ago and bought this:
This is my sprinter thread where I posted my new ride: http://www.casa-trotter.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9334&start=50#p142253
This is the model: http://sbsadventurecampers.com/wp/gazell-4x4-demountable-camper/
As you can see, space is very scarce for storage, the eberspacher D4 was mounted below the truck, heat exchanger below the fridge and there was no space to add a thank.
The car and eberspacher had already 5 years and 75000km of tracks, it even go to Mongolia and back from France...
So it was old but still functionning. This system is also noisy, to sleep with heating in cold areas it's not comfortable.
So I'm doing an webasto air portable (tested this weekend) and I will put a small 6L boiler (up to 85°C) and a thermostatic valve wich allow 2 showers and one dish. I think I will have a lot more comfort with this and will loose just a little space.
My post was just to say that the system works but there are better solution ... from my point of view...

Last edited:

sprinterPaul

Hi Paul,
I sold my Sprinter some months ago and bought this:
This is my sprinter thread where I posted my new ride: http://www.casa-trotter.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9334&start=50#p142253
This is the model: http://sbsadventurecampers.com/wp/gazell-4x4-demountable-camper/
As you can see, space is very scarce for storage, the eberspacher D4 was mounted below the truck, heat exchanger below the fridge and there was no space to add a thank.
The car and eberspacher had already 5 years and 75000km of tracks, it even go to Mongolia and back from France...
So it was old but still functionning. This system is also noisy, to sleep with heating in cold areas it's not comfortable.
So I'm doing an webasto air portable (tested this weekend) and I will put a small 6L boiler (up to 85°C) and a thermostatic valve wich allow 2 showers and one dish. I think I will have a lot more comfort with this and will loose just a little space.
My post was just to say that the system works but there are better solution ... from my point of view...

Cool! Looks like fun ride. You definitely have different requirements and needs.

I think your setup is/was different than I had plans for. I already have a D2 for heat inside the van.

This is simply for hot water when I can't plugin or I'm not driving. Using battery or alternator the electric element takes about 40 minutes to get hot as it's only a 750 watt element.

I figure it will just be run a few minutes to get enough water for four hot showers. Currently i can get about 3 showers from current capacity. Maybe 3.5 before temps drop too much from mixing in cold water.

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR

Hooked it all up to do a quick bench test. Been sitting on it for a few months but finally got around to testing it.

Hot coolant in minutes.
Is this a Russian unit? looks like Espar, even the mount plate seems a like. Perhaps Eberspacher's design expired.

watchmyradical

Hey Paul,

Did you use foam under the fabric or is the fabric just over the metal pillars?

Thanks,

Rick
Hey,

Great build thread, been referencing it a lot. Do you happen to have a part number for those D pillar plastic blank covers. I'm putting USBs and switches in those holes and the covers look most excellent.

Thanks for your help.

watchmyradical

Thanks Paul, I’m missing three of those myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, Thanks Paul.

The part number is a great start, but I'm having trouble actually tracking some down on the Net. If anyone locates a source for them let me know, I will check with the dealership later this week.

Thanks again.

Redline

I just picked up a 144 4x4, and your build is almost exactly what I was trying to imagine in my head. I have to haul mountain bikes, sleep four and have some minimal features like water and on-board air, all while keeping it fairly convertible to be able to haul products for work. This is awesome. Thanks for detailing your build!

sprint2freedom

2008 NCV3 170ext
Yes, Thanks Paul.

The part number is a great start, but I'm having trouble actually tracking some down on the Net. If anyone locates a source for them let me know, I will check with the dealership later this week.

Thanks again.
I have several of those gray plastic covers and I think they'll be going into my "removed OE parts" pile and (eventually) into the trash. They're in good to fair condition, several have one or two light or moderate scuffs or scratches but nothing major.

Send me a PM with type and quantity needed, and I'll try to remember to take a photo in the next few days to post here (or better yet in my own thread.. apologies to sprinterPaul)

sprinterPaul

After much internal debate I ended up with a non engine loop for the hydronic heater.

Spent most of my time trying to sort plumbing and wiring runs.

Mounted the tank in the lower front corner.

The hydronic I put in close to the factory location.

I routed the controls in a handy spot.

It worked pretty quick. The heater works faster than the exchanger so It cycled a couple times. But the pump keeps going to transfer heat.

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
Congratulation on installation. Is the glycol fluid flowing through your aluminum tank? To allow free fluid flow you need ¾” hoses, the expanded tank hoses look smaller. I recall from previous discussions about 3l of glycol volume in the heating loop including the hoses, the Isotemp and the heater is needed to prevent the heater overcycling. I don’t think overcycling is a big issue with the exception of possibly reduced heater longevity.

sprinterPaul

Congratulation on installation. Is the glycol fluid flowing through your aluminum tank? To allow free fluid flow you need ¾” hoses, the expanded tank hoses look smaller. I recall from previous discussions about 3l of glycol volume in the heating loop including the hoses, the Isotemp and the heater is needed to prevent the heater overcycling. I don’t think overcycling is a big issue with the exception of possibly reduced heater longevity.

Thanks George. Lines are 5/8 on the tank and 3/4 everywhere else. Flow is pretty good actually. I was a little worried until I had it all working. But it's hard to find a reasonable off the shelf tank.

I'm not too worried about cycling. Since it will see so little use compared to a setup that is trying to get hot air and water. Worst case I can add a second cheap tank inline just to get more volume.

The d2 is so much better and quieter for cabin heat.

I spent some time to run water pump by itself to bleed system. And I primed the fuel first using a syringe before the pump to get it moving. Fired up first time and made it hot.

Last edited:

sprinterPaul

Here are some interior pictures from slider view, fully loaded up for a trip.

It's hard to get a good shot; but hopefully this provides an idea of what the interior is like. In all its crowded splendor.

Beds are always in place and ready to go.

Last edited:

Top Bottom