NCV3 Driveline noise. Midshaft?

KPT

Thanks bob, I need the two mid shaft bearings though not the u joints
I had this problem. I tested for it by spraying litium grease on the carrier bearing. That silence it for a while. It was odd because the bearing seal looked fine. So, why would the lithium grease have such an impact?

When I had the carrier bearing changed, I got my answer. The bearing center was actually loose on the driveshaft. It fell right off. My mechanic had to install the new one with the shop press. After 40,000 miles, still no noise.

So, the noise was caused by the drive shaft spinning within the bearing sleeve. That is why the lithium grease had such immediate, yet short term effect.

Mike DZ

2016 View 24V (2015 3500)
I could only find what I think is the right part on ebay, so if you are going to DIY, I would agree with Bob and get the carrier bearing / also known as the driveshaft support assembly from MB.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sprinter-D...e-MB-Freightliner-906-410-02-81-/150766003781[/QUOTE

Thank you!, any chance on finding the second one or is it just two of these?
I only provided the Ebay link as an example - buying critical driveline components on ebay is chancy.

If you really want to DIY this ... I suggest you go to your local MB or Freightliner dealer, walk up to the parts counter and tell them what you are looking for. Taking a picture or two of the parts in situ with your phone is helpful.

Good luck.

lindenengineering

I only provided the Ebay link as an example - buying critical driveline components on ebay is chancy.

If you really want to DIY this ... I suggest you go to your local MB or Freightliner dealer, walk up to the parts counter and tell them what you are looking for. Taking a picture or two of the parts in situ with your phone is helpful.

Good luck.
Yes!!
The drive line centre bearing kits are different according to positioning.
For a job like this you need the latest and greatest from the dealer.
BTW
You will need a suitable extractor puller & snap ring pliers and installer tool to remove the bearing from the shaft . That means no hacking and whacking; remember the shaft is a precision component.
Dennis

sailquik

calvin,
Is this dealer an authorized Mercedes or Freightliner Sprinter dealer, or just a Mercedes Car dealer?
Look for a Sprinter dealer that does alot of commercial vehicle work, and has invested in all the
heavier duty Sprinter specific racks/shop equipment/special Sprinter specific tools.
$600 sounds a little high to me, but I will defer to Dennis on if that's a fair price or not.
Mine have always been replaced under warranty.
Roger

calvin

calvin,
Is this dealer an authorized Mercedes or Freightliner Sprinter dealer, or just a Mercedes Car dealer?
Look for a Sprinter dealer that does alot of commercial vehicle work, and has invested in all the
heavier duty Sprinter specific racks/shop equipment/special Sprinter specific tools.
$600 sounds a little high to me, but I will defer to Dennis on if that's a fair price or not.
Mine have always been replaced under warranty.
Roger

Yes sir, Mercedes sprinter dealer. She quoted 160 for labor and like 220 per bearing :(

Top Bottom