Leaky Skylight

Fredb

I'm a new owner... bought my Westy right around the first of the year. My wife and I love it!!! The only issue we've found that we haven't been able to address is a leaky skylight.

When I check the seal around the skylight (between skylight and roof) and the inner gasket that's exposed when skylight is open, all looks well, but in heavy rain, water is somehow making it in. It gathers on the right side (facing forward) and drips down on the right side of the bench seat below.

There are two cracks in the outer pane of the skylight itself, but when the leaking occurs I don't see any evidence of water captured in the space between the inner and outer surface and so can't see how that's the source of the problem.

Thoughts or suggestions from anyone out there with a similar experiences are welcome.

-Fred

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Welcome.

Check the threads on the Westfest in Colorado during Labor Day Weekend. Can reserve a campsite at the nearby campground to be on safe side, and then see if group camp will allow doubling up of campers.

No leaks here, but thinking aloud.

1. Unlikely to have leak between dome and frame as dome overlaps frame.

2. Frame and fiberglass roof. Frame sits on a raised fiberglass integrated step. Could put a bead of sealant around frame to fiberglass top. Lexel is easy to use (soapy water).

If really want to go overboard and don't mind ugliness, can use Eternabond tape to tape over the skylight frame and fiberglass top--totally covering the joint. Ugly (and the Eternabond vinyl cover can sometimes become separate from the sticky butyl adhesive).

3. Cracks in dome. Check dome carefully for cracks, especially near the hinges. Water could penetrate through dome to frame. Apparently, other RV owners with Heki skylights have complained about damage near the hinges.

Also, check the areas of the domes where the side supports for arms are located.

4. Cracks in frame. Check carefully for any cracks in the frame.

Disassembly. You can remove the little perforated covers where the skylight interior frame is (they snap in and out). That might give you a better look at where the water is leaking.

Please post whatever you discover for future reference.

As far as cracks in dome, could just use an adhesive type of paint to paint dome (especially if you're in a hot climate). I was thinking about using Plasti-Dip in solid white to keep interior cooler.

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Farther out possibilities.

As you track down the leak, check how level the Westy is.

If you are getting a leak when the Westy is tilted down (rear up) and if you've ruled out skylight, would need to check all the other holes where water could run inside between fiberglass top and interior liner (e.g., air conditioner, etc.).

Tilt Westy upward, then only other holes would be the antenna.

512Westy

Even tho I applied what I thought were copious amounts of the butal sealant when I put my new sky light in, I did have a leak between the fram and roof. I laid another bead of clear silicone sealant from the outside and that has kept leaks out for the last year

Fredb

Thanks for the suggestion... Will follow the suggestions and report back... may take me a week or so.

"OldWest"... actually made my reservation at the campground across the street from the group site for WestyFest over Labor Day weekend. Not positive we'll make it, but am hopeful. Look forward to seeing the various customizations/modifications I keep reading about and meeting fellow inmates.

-Fred

autocamp

un-Airstream'ed & un-Dodged NAFTA JC
I assume the OP refers to the big powered skylight, not the small one in the bath. Off all the roof penetrations the big skylight is the least likely to be the source the leak because of the raised contour of the high top for the skylight - if memory serves. One often ovelooked potential source of leak is the cable entry of the rooftop AC. The two thick DC cables pass though two holes of the fiberglass top into the AC plastic tray. There are two rubber grommets to protect the cable from chaffing damage, not for water seal. What prevent the water from getting in is the raised feature of the AC bottom tray, and the top cover operating like an umbrella directing the rain water from dripping directly onto the holes. If there are debris accumulated inside the bottom tray, it is possible to create a puddle inside and with the water run over the bank. I at one time have water dripping profusely from the AC vent overhead cabinet at the passenger side. I open the AC cover and removed the organic debris and that fixed it. At the time, I didn't notice the two cable entry holes.

here is the photo:

Last edited:

Top Bottom