GVW Heavy Registration

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
Are you registered for yearly inspection? They tried that on me when I registered, because of the GVW, but I had the vehicle weighed and it of course did not weigh its GVW but was much lighter so they stopped registering me as a Heavy and I don’t need yearly inspection anymore.
Also if you set the vehicle up somewhat, and register as an RV you don’t need the yearly inspection, even if it is heavyweight.
I think I remember you have a 3500? Signature?

Last edited:
Re: What holds down the battery

At 9990 lbs, its over the 9920 limit therefore is considered a "heavy vehicle". I also use this for commercial purposes so its outfitted with a lot of shelving and tools. I guess I could try taking everything out and weighing it.

After reading some info from the agency, they say, "If the GVWR is 4,500 kg or more, it constitutes mandatory information for the registration of a road vehicle at the SAAQ." I'll still call but this seems to be written in stone. I'm surprised they worked with you on this, giving you an exemption.

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
Get it weighed at a highway weigh stop, with a slip with the vehicles vin on it (the SAAQ initially gave me a slip with just the model and year of the rig. The lady at the CAA office that does the registration for the saaq (st Antoine /de la Montaigne) initially said because my GVW was over whatever the kilos defines heavy, I would need yearly inspections and a L plate, but that if my vehicle was under the kilo definition, even though it’s GVW was over I could get a regular plate. I got the inspection and L plate, went and got myself weighed, was way under, went back and got changed to regular plate. For some reason the SAAQ think the GVW is the weight of the vehicle, when actually it is the weight of the vehicle unloaded that they will use to define heavy or not.
That being said, if you will be loaded and at full GVW and driving on the highway, the SAAQ could ask you to go inn for a weigh and if you were over that would be a fine.
I have a 2500 highroof 140 so I would have to try pretty hard go over my GVW, a full length 3500 may be closer. However, not having to spend $135$ extra per year min on a safety inspection adds up in $$ and time..
Your tank has to be full when you get weighed.

Last edited:

Top Bottom