Riveted Floor? 2006 T1N

theOMsound

Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum but have been using it for info for a while now; what an amazing, community based resource!
Ok, to business:

Has anyone seen a floor like this? I have a 2006 T1N that I'm converting into a tour van (we're musicians) - adding seats, insulating, and potentially beds, etc. It looks like it's riveted in...not sure if this was a factory thing or aftermarket, but I'm hoping that it's easy to remove so I can add seating brackets and lower the floor to gain some more headroom! Anyone have any insight?

Thanks for all the help!
Orion
The OM Sound
www.theomsound.com

Attachments

The floor in my van is directly on top of the stock metal floor. That looks almost like someone had a drawer system in there. Maybe one of the long time sprinter members had seen this setup. But shouldn't be a big deal to remove.

theOMsound

Thanks crazyswede! It does seem like that, although it would be pretty rough storage. I'm taking a crack at it today; I'll post updates.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
It looks like storage for a pair of loading ramps.

Try pulling the top layer up to find the heads of the rivets.

Keith.

lightwave

maybe this was used to store something illegal. (check for white powder) err...pastry chefs have smuggled powdered sugar from colombia years ago.

theOMsound

Update: it seems like the floor was factory, and there was nothing at all (nor evidence of anything) stored underneath. Strange! Got it all ripped out, holes filled, and now deciding how best to insulate and put a new floor in! Seat brackets and vibration control first though....

theOMsound

If true, it isn't a very common option.

It would be interesting to see if a special option floor code shows on the factory build data card.

vic
Yes bizarre. I suppose it could have been installed custom soon after someone bought it, but the rivets etc used match the other factory pieces and the installation seemed factory. Where can I find the factory build data card? Id be interested to know for sure.

zeeede

Looks like someone raised the factory floor so long items can slide under. It's common in work vans used by plumbers (pipe) and electricians (conduit) to have a raised floor. In this case, the person was creative/thrifty/lazy and used the factory plywood on top (all ready cut to size, though you can see where they patched the gaps around the wheel wells).

theOMsound

Looks like someone raised the factory floor so long items can slide under. It's common in work vans used by plumbers (pipe) and electricians (conduit) to have a raised floor. In this case, the person was creative/thrifty/lazy and used the factory plywood on top (all ready cut to size, though you can see where they patched the gaps around the wheel wells).
Makes sense! So glad to have it gone haha.

terra_firma

now that is goofy, building a raised floor on top of the oem would certainly be wiser than sliding and scraping all over the painted steel floor all day long

I have no idea why the floor was raised. Stowing conduit or pipe does seem to make sense. But OEM steel doesn't look scraped up. Maybe used for plastic pipe?

From another theOMsound thread.

RaisedFloor.png

vic

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Where can I find the factory build data card? Id be interested to know for sure.
Two or three ways:
send your VIN (or post it here) to either sailquik or me, along with an email address so we can send back the PDF file.
(if you post your VIN here, i'll post with the PDF as an attachment)

You can look it up yourself by visiting: http://carinfo.kiev.ua/cars/vin/mercedes/vin_check
(and then either screen-grab or scribble everything down)

or both
--dick (who doesn't recall seeing "raised floor" in any option catalog)

theOMsound

Two or three ways:
send your VIN (or post it here) to either sailquik or me, along with an email address so we can send back the PDF file.
(if you post your VIN here, i'll post with the PDF as an attachment)

You can look it up yourself by visiting: http://carinfo.kiev.ua/cars/vin/mercedes/vin_check
(and then either screen-grab or scribble everything down)

or both
--dick (who doesn't recall seeing "raised floor" in any option catalog)
Thanks! Interested to see...
WD0BD644465927258 :thumbup:

Baatzy

2006 Dodge Sprinter LWB
Update: it seems like the floor was factory, and there was nothing at all (nor evidence of anything) stored underneath. Strange! Got it all ripped out, holes filled, and now deciding how best to insulate and put a new floor in! Seat brackets and vibration control first though....

I will need to fill my holes before insulating. What products / process did you use to fill them?

Thanks,

theOMsound

I will need to fill my holes before insulating. What products / process did you use to fill them?

Thanks,
I've heard of people welding, using fiberglass, and other methods, but I ended up just using a good quality silicone and short screws to plug them. A bunch of silicone to make sure it's fully sealed and then insert the screw and recheck the seal. Good silicone is rated for 25 years or so , so should be good. I'm sure welding would be ideal, but expensive. The fiberglass would also be great I think, but it was too cold this time of year for me to do that. Hope that helps!

Here's a terrible quality photo.

Attachments

Last edited:

Top Bottom