Aux Battery under hood

tDot

Hi JD,

Appreciate your feedback as well as the wealth of information you provide to many other members here on the forum.

You summed up my needs correctly.

The larger batteries you found were the same results I have initially discovered which lead me to ask if a higher amperage versus smaller size battery can actually exist.

I have determined that two 6 volts batteries @ 300AH are the way to go if I wish to have higher amps versus size but they will not fit under the hood.
I'm not sure what specific batteries you are referring to, but two 6volt batteries at 300AH, equates to 150AH at 12V. I'm sure you already know that, but just to be safe, I thought I'd mention it.

rharshaw

Hi George,
If it fits sideways do you think a Life Line 31XT with measurements of 12.9 X 6 3/4 and 9.27 high would fit?

Thanks
Roger

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
Hi George,
If it fits sideways do you think a Life Line 31XT with measurements of 12.9 X 6 3/4 and 9.27 high would fit?

Thanks
Roger
Likely, swap dimensions to 12.9L x 9.27W x 6.75H. You will need to make a platform (for example 1/2" plywood) which would be mounted to factory tray and battery would be strapped to it.

Lifeline battery is about 3/4" higher than the Fullriver one and that extra height could cause too much interference with the MB cable bundle. In my install I lifted the bundle about 1/4" to have an airgap.

Mine fits upright into MB tray and is strapped with 2 straps. It is good idea to thermally insulate the battery from the engine heat, I am planning to wrap it in leftover piece of Thinsulate.

Good luck.

George.

Tukala

Repair / Service
Hi there folks.

I'm quite New in here, mainly just reading this forum and got really good advices & ideas.
So, huge thanks for everyone, so far.

Wanted to point out the alternator changing capability if different Ah aux battery is to be (vs. OEM) installed.

Following may be obvious to some but one may consider this as reminder. OEM battery is 100Ah, in most cases. Therefore the alternator will charge the "weaker" battery instead of both if an isolator isn't installed, too.

Top Bottom