SPRINTER NCV3 TRANSMISSION OIL CHANGE

D

Deleted member 50714

It doesn't make sense but if you get it done at a dealer they don't drain the torque converter either. I cant remember the reasoning but it comes straight from MB.
All about time and money, exploiting consumer ignorance. TC bolt a challenge to remove and disaster if damaged.

WIS says drain the TC. #7. See attached.

Attachments

I understand that you should drain the TC when changing the transmission fluid (I did on the last change). The question I have is how many quarts of fluid do you need if you don't do the TC?

sprinter.motors

Hi guys any write-up update with the torque converter flush?
There is a screw-on torque converter itself. It is accessible and visible through a small window in front of the transmission. You have to rotate crankshaft to see it. Then configure tool to access it. Sometimes it is impossible to take that screw out because it seizes pretty bad.

D

Deleted member 50714

Best shop practice:

Marinate TC drain plug overnight with penetrating oil of your preference.

Dig crud, if any, out of drain plug hex hole to allow full insertion of hex tool. Not doing this may result in stripped drain plug.

After TC drain plug removal, insert small, hollow, plastic swizzle stick-straw in drain hole to break vacuum and allow fluid to drain overnight.

Didn't notice your engine. According to MB OM651 crankshaft must be turned in correct direction or risk derailing cam chain. Out of abundance of caution, apply same practice to other engines.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spencermobile

To add to an old thread after my experience changing trans fluid filter and tc.
Buy new transmission pan bolts and pan clamps before doing this service!
When I tried to remove the pan one of the bolts broke. Luckily my local dealer had them in stock. The bolt broke inside the pan clamp. I had to cut the clamp to remove it. That was only after dropping the cross member to try to drill it out. Once the clamp was cut I was able to remove the pan and turn the broken bolt out with the clamp. Now waiting for Tuesday for one new clamp ? The bolts and clamps are inexpensive and would have made this easier and given me piece of mind,

All six clamps on my trans had significant corrosion where the bolt passes through. I had to use a hammer to drive out a couple of the bolts. I don’t find the tc to too bad. I used a regular 4mm allen wrench and it worked fine.

Also found I could use half inch drive ratchet with standard 27mm socket to turn the engine. I did this from under the van and was able to turn the engine with my left hand while watching/feeling for tc plug.

Spencermobile

Attachments

D

Deleted member 50714

Be advised, turn engine proper direction or risk throwing timing chain.

sprinter.motors

To add to an old thread after my experience changing trans fluid filter and tc.
Buy new transmission pan bolts and pan clamps before doing this service!
When I tried to remove the pan one of the bolts broke. Luckily my local dealer had them in stock. The bolt broke inside the pan clamp. I had to cut the clamp to remove it. That was only after dropping the cross member to try to drill it out. Once the clamp was cut I was able to remove the pan and turn the broken bolt out with the clamp. Now waiting for Tuesday for one new clamp ? The bolts and clamps are inexpensive and would have made this easier and given me piece of mind,

All six clamps on my trans had significant corrosion where the bolt passes through. I had to use a hammer to drive out a couple of the bolts. I don’t find the tc to too bad. I used a regular 4mm allen wrench and it worked fine.

Also found I could use half inch drive ratchet with standard 27mm socket to turn the engine. I did this from under the van and was able to turn the engine with my left hand while watching/feeling for tc plug.
Rare to happen. Happened to me once in maybe 100 fluid changes. But it's good to keep spare for sure.

Spencermobile

Rare to happen. Happened to me once in maybe 100 fluid changes. But it's good to keep spare for sure.
I don’t know if the bolts are supposed to be single use only or not. All of mine (bolts and clamps) were corroded to a degree. Maybe due to New England winter driving….. They’re short money and not worth messing with in my book.

Top Bottom