Too much oil?? New Sprinter = no engine oil dipstick

aviatordoc

Bigrich406, you have 3 posts to your credit and all 3 off topic. Read the title of this tread.
You are welcome to make a new thread and debate whatever you believe in.

lindenengineering

Just a comment!
If you look after the bloody thing it will go half a million miles or more on MB spec oils.

Just out of interest!!! Why did you have to "break in" or "run in", "puesto en marcha" a major component anyway? :hmmm:

All the smooth running best to you all , especially when your OM642 sounds like a Welsh Tenor Choir at the Eisteddfod boyos .

AND
If it sounds like a Russian Baritone military ensemble it ain't going to go the distance!
I can almost "sense" it!

Dennis

4wheels

New Sprinter does have break in oil in it !
I was sceptical , until I saw data on this forum . It was posted only once and I can't find it . Jdcaples posted it, I think.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
The surfaces finishes the tolerances in these engines are not comparable to designs from 30+ years ago. There is minimal mating required, and many surfaces have nearly mirror finishes, and tight tolerances which do not require wear to mate. Many have anti friction coatings.

Any company that makes millions of engines has a decent idea of whats required.

Calforester02

My 2008 will throw overfill error if filled to capacity on dip stick and per specs. We fill it to 3/8 below. This one will go thousands - 3k? before needing oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Don't the NCV3s have a hot fill dipstick, so you need to check it when its hot? If filled to the full mark when cold, it will be 1/2 a quart high?

Goran

:idunno: so officially there is NO DIPSTICK on the 2019 sprinter. At least that's what the guy from Mercedes where I bought mine from said. I asked him for the official post number so I could order it, because on the net I saw different part numbers being thrown around, and he said there isn't one. I insisted there is a place for it so there just be a part that goes in there and he insisted no. In the screenshot of what he said. It's he right or a dumbass? Anyone know?

Attachments

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
I am 99% certain there is a dipstick available. Why? fleet operators will want to check oil without finding a key, etc. Plus the sensors do occasionally fail.

As a general rule. If a dealer says something that will reduce the work they need to do, and increase profit? Assume first that is a lie, or just BS.

It may be worth asking Europarts SD if they are interested in locating the correct part, and carrying it. I am sure many owners will want a dipstick in the future.

bigrich406

Bigrich406, you have 3 posts to your credit and all 3 off topic. Read the title of this tread.
You are welcome to make a new thread and debate whatever you believe in.
No good deed goes unpunished around here. Try to help a guy whose engine only has 4k miles on it where the crankcases are not too full of sludge yet and this is the response you get.

Gotta also love all the "experts" who know more than a professional certified MB mechanic with decades of experience who has pulled apart seized Bluetec motors.

Whatever man. Enjoy your vans and absolutely do your oil changes every 20k miles. Don't worry because "modern" surfaces are nice and shiny and have "special coatings" so no break-in oil is required. Yep, Joe Gibbs Racing Driven sells a specially formulated diesel break-in oil for those rubes who don't realize that the OEM oil will be just fine for the break-in.

I love the "legs up" comment. Typical, rather than refute a single point made in the article, just trash the whole thing as hogwash. But I bet none of the naysayers have ever pulled the pan off a Bluetec that has seized from sludge.

And whatever you do, don't put a catch can on the system, that's just snake oil (heavy sarcasm).

lndscpe

One of the first simple modifications I do on my turbocharged or supercharged personal vehicles is install an oil catch can. There often a debate on there value, but for me it’s just inexpensive insurance or maybe just a warm fuzzy feeling ?. My Cummins work pick ups I have not installed oil catch cans and my oldest truck before selling it had over 170k miles on it. My new Sprinter, in PNS status, will have one for sure. The amount of residue is often striking when I clean them out on my personal cars.

Where on the V6 diesel are they installing the catch cans? I’m guessing in route from a breather tube off the valve covers before entering the intake tract.

My Hellcat Jeep Grand Cherokee has two tubes off the valve covers, they are installed off the passenger side valve cover on the Hellcat engine even though there’s also one breather tube on the drivers side.

lindenengineering

No good deed goes unpunished around here. Try to help a guy whose engine only has 4k miles on it where the crankcases are not too full of sludge yet and this is the response you get.

Gotta also love all the "experts" who know more than a professional certified MB mechanic with decades of experience who has pulled apart seized Bluetec motors.

Whatever man. Enjoy your vans and absolutely do your oil changes every 20k miles. Don't worry because "modern" surfaces are nice and shiny and have "special coatings" so no break-in oil is required. Yep, Joe Gibbs Racing Driven sells a specially formulated diesel break-in oil for those rubes who don't realize that the OEM oil will be just fine for the break-in.

I love the "legs up" comment. Typical, rather than refute a single point made in the article, just trash the whole thing as hogwash. But I bet none of the naysayers have ever pulled the pan off a Bluetec that has seized from sludge.

And whatever you do, don't put a catch can on the system, that's just snake oil (heavy sarcasm).
Hey old Bean!
Quote:- But I bet none of the naysayers have ever pulled the pan off a Bluetec that has seized from sludge.
You forgot another one mate !!
Landrover Flandie V6's ! Another great shop money spinner!:thumbup:
I have many times on OM 642's and even use the SAAB rake test to scare the bejesus out of customers!
Time for BG!
Dennis

Goran

Re: Too much oil??

I believe he's a highway expediter. He's the perfect example or candidate of a 20k mile oil changes....

....however, that's assuming he has stopped idling his motor all night, every cold night, as he had been doing. :bash

Yeah I do expedited hauling. Anything and everything. I don't idel it anymore. Installed a diesel heater and working on insulation but no time. I'm on the road all the time. Only half done with the insulation and I wanted to finish this weekend but some rookie didn't know how to drive a fork lift and he took forever to load my shipment and I didn't make the drop in time. So now I have this compresor taking up 156 inches of the 170 until Monday and have to work around it. Also installed a auxiliary battery a few days ago. I mounted it under the passager seat. The picture was just when I was testing it. And what I meant with the hard miles is that the van is loaded with at least 1000 lbs 75 percent of the time. So it's being pushed daily. I know I'm going 75 mph when I have 2500 lbs in the back. It can handle it no problem but in sure it's a lot more difficult on the engine than being empty. And I have an apoinment next Monday for my 20k maintenance. I have 16437 now and I bought the car brand new December 14. And it didn't eat any oil at all in these 16k miles

Attachments

Goran

Dude I have 16 K miles on mine and it didn't even eat a quarter of a quart. Put in some oil, because like you thought it had to have eaten some oil, and right away a message that too much oil and to take some out. Took everything besides a quarter of quart out and still too much oil. If the engine is new and running well it doesn't eat any oil. Mercedes called today to schedual me for the 20k.they didn't want to see me before that.

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
I am. I like the guy. He's old so I try to help him out but he had me worried that my sprinter might have the same problem because mine shows a lot less while driving than it does sitting. Just glad it wasn't a big problem that would have cost him. The repair probably covered by warranty but not having a car and not working a week is a couple of grand out of his pocket. All is well that ends well.
Not all dumbs are blonde, and not all oldsters are dumb, either. In fact, most less intelligent old people were less intelligent young people.

bigrich406

Dude I have 16 K miles on mine and it didn't even eat a quarter of a quart. Put in some oil, because like you thought it had to have eaten some oil, and right away a message that too much oil and to take some out. Took everything besides a quarter of quart out and still too much oil. If the engine is new and running well it doesn't eat any oil. Mercedes called today to schedual me for the 20k.they didn't want to see me before that.
Let me just say first that I did not intend to hijack this thread. I merely thought I'd help a guy who had a relatively new engine before further damage to it could be done. When all the skeptics chimed in I provided links to PROFESSIONAL mechanics who agree with my thoughts - although as proven in this thread, it usually just leads to more unproductive comments.

Goran, I don't think I ever said your engine will have eaten some oil. That is a different subject. Just because your oil consumption seems to be ok doesn't mean everything is ok with your oil. If your motor was not broken in optimally, when the regen happens there is excess fuel dumped into the cylinders and more than the usual amount of this fuel will be washed past the rings into your crankcase because of the less than optimal ring real. The fuel mixes with your oil (accretion) and the level of the oil seems to be fine or in some cases even too high. You can send your oil out to a testing company (like Blackstone) and they will tell you how much fuel is in your oil as compared to industry averages. If you do the testing, ask for the soot test too. It is a 10 buck option with Blackstone. Oil dilution (with fuel and/or coolant) and soot are contributing factors to sludge accumulation. Sludge can lead to engine failure. If you take no other of the advice I have given, at least take this advice, change the oil every 5k miles and not every 20k.

aviatordoc

Let me just say first that I did not intend to hijack this thread. I merely thought I'd help a guy who had a relatively new engine before further damage to it could be done.
Since you bring this up again, I had MORE THAN 4000 MILES on it before the first change. So you think changing to fresh oil in 4000 miles will damage an engine? Any engine?
What a moron!

bigrich406

Since you bring this up again, I had MORE THAN 4000 MILES on it before the first change. So you think changing to fresh oil in 4000 miles will damage an engine? Any engine?
What a moron!
Besides the fact that you somehow think that I have mind-reading talents and I somehow knew the history of the oil changes on your van when I tried to help you, you apparently have reading comprehension issues because I never once said that changing your oil at 4,000 miles would hurt your motor. In fact, I said you could even wait and do it every 5,000 if you wanted.

But the fact that you call a guy who has forgotten more about engines than you will ever know (who is just trying to help you) a moron, tells me everything I need to know about you. Apparently, on this forum, ignorance is bliss and being an Aviator gives you all the experience you need to know about how to properly break-in a diesel.

aviatordoc

Besides the fact that you somehow think that I have mind-reading talents and I somehow knew the history of the oil changes on your van when I tried to help you, you apparently have reading comprehension issues because I never once said that changing your oil at 4,000 miles would hurt your motor. In fact, I said you could even wait and do it every 5,000 if you wanted.

But the fact that you call a guy who has forgotten more about engines than you will ever know (who is just trying to help you) a moron, tells me everything I need to know about you. Apparently, on this forum, ignorance is bliss and being an Aviator gives you all the experience you need to know about how to properly break-in a diesel.
Your unsolicited, wrong assessment is not appreciated and declined. Comprande?
And I am not a "former" mechanic who can judge reading comprehension of others.
Get a life, and stop taking this thread off topic.

Top Bottom