Who wants an Arduino-based Aux Instrument Panel?

OChrisJonesO

Chris Jones

Dave,

Just received my Nautabox in the mail today! Popped in the MicroSD card and plugged er into the OBDII port of my 2003 158" Ex-FedEx Sprinter, and started it up. It powers on right aways, but doesn't seem to pull in data / pulls in random values (as shown in the screenshots). LOD does seem to get calculated, but voltage never shows up (my volt meter shows 14.8 as seen in the small auxillary screen in the second photo). Additionally, the touch screen doesn't appear to work? Pressing the arrows doesn't go to the other menus and the screen appears to be non-responsive. I get the same behavior whether the van engine is running, or just in the ON / ACC position. Same thing after multiple plug/unplugs (making sure the connection was good), and multiple engine start/restarts. My ScanGuageII and Autel AP200 scanners work well (my OBDII port has been finnicky in the past, but as long as they're fully plugged in properly they work as expected) so I'm wondering if there's an issue with the unit I received? Admittedly I haven't driven with it yet (just idling in the driveway) as I have some loose cabinets that need installed in the back of my camper, not sure if that would make a difference.

Took off the 4 phillips screws to have a look inside, and didn't see anything disconnected or obvious...

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
I had a PM from another 2003 owner this morning with the same issue.
The k-line sniffing that Cal and I undertook last winter were all done using OM-647 CDI3 modules.
It appears the OM-612’s CDI2 firmware isn’t compatible... which isn’t surprising in hindsight.

My apologies for not clewing in to this this earlier, and I will of course refund your purchase at your option.
(though you may have better offers?)

-dave

OChrisJonesO

Chris Jones
I had a PM from another 2003 owner this morning with the same issue.
The k-line sniffing that Cal and I undertook last winter were all done using OM-647 CDI3 modules.
It appears the OM-612’s CDI2 firmware isn’t compatible... which isn’t surprising in hindsight.

My apologies for not clewing in to this this earlier, and I will of course refund your purchase at your option.
(though you may have better offers?)

-dave
Is this a "completely incompatible" kind of thing or a "currently incompatible" kind of thing? If you think it might be possible to support the OM612's I'd be happy to be a guinea pig and contribute any way I can. Admittedly I don't know much about vehicle diagnostics but I am a software developer by trade... otherwise, might have to return it.

EGR Valve, Electric Fuel Pump, and now this... I knew I shoulda got a 647 :bash:

Nautamaran

The code reader function worked on the other 2003, which confirms that the communications work the same way, but the data that the box is pulling out is located at specific points in the requested internal data blocks. We watched a Star C3 tool as it pulled the live data from an OM-647, and could do the same with a 612, but would need to have one to work with.

Anyone near Calgary have a 612 I can hook up to for an afternoon?

-dave

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
yet another reason why 647s are a far superior vintage! :lol:

really though, I hope Dave can get it running at some point for the poor 612 folks.. with all those low pressure side fuel issues they could really use one of these!!! :dripsarcasm:

Nautamaran

Chris and I just had an exchange off line: he’s in Ohio, but he does have an AP-200 that we can eves drop on ... so we should be able to use the same technique and crack the 612’s k-line data blocks and produce a version for the 612. Stay tuned!

-dave

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
The code reader function worked on the other 2003, which confirms that the communications work the same way, but the data that the box is pulling out is located at specific points in the requested internal data blocks. We watched a Star C3 tool as it pulled the live data from an OM-647, and could do the same with a 612, but would need to have one to work with.

-dave
That might explain why I couldn't find the oil level and quality data on my OM611 using the X-Gauges for the OM647!

Please could you let me know the locations if you do find them on an OM612 as mine should be the same.

Keith.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
I bet its something silly, like a different header value, or changing the data order. MB loves to do weird stuff like that...

Of course you need to decide how you want to implement. Could just have the unit do a power on check to see if it finds sane values with on method or the other.

Axiom

Mike from Florida Van Man
We've got a couple of 612 that have recently come to the "yard". One that has lost compression on one cylinder and one that is running perfectly besides HPFP diesel leak.

Last night, I tried to clear codes through the Nautabox on my 2006 OM647. Not sure how the long list of codes got there in the first place (probably something to do with a low batter start) but despite the Nautabox saying the codes are gone, the light doesn't go away and if I shut the van off and then start it and check the codes again, they're all back. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I know with the C3 you have to leave the key off for at least 10 seconds before checking codes again so I did that just in case.

dmarino82

I'm the other 2003 612 owner. I'm happy to wait as long as it takes for 612 support as this box is AMAZING. @Nautamaran, you could take a warm vacation to Arizona and do the r&d on my van :). I should note that the TCM values register perfectly and it was neat to be able to monitor those values heading into the mountains this weekend.

Nautamaran

I bet its something silly, like a different header value, or changing the data order. MB loves to do weird stuff like that...

Of course you need to decide how you want to implement. Could just have the unit do a power on check to see if it finds sane values with on method or the other.
The Keyword Protocol doesn’t have much latitude on the header bytes. It’ll be a different parameter byte in the request to Service $21 “readDataByLocalIdentifier“, and a different byte order in the response message. Totally opaque without an existing tool providing an example and decoded value, then multiple observations to catch the bytes that are changing. Tedious, but now pretty straightforward (repetition is a great teacher!)

There is a service call that returns a module ID, but without an exhaustive database of possible ID values it’s probably going to be simpler (and less risky) to just add a 612/647 toggle to the setup page. There’s lots of room in flash memory to hold the extra programming to switch and pull out the correct block and bytes.

-dave

Last edited:

Nautamaran

We've got a couple of 612 that have recently come to the "yard". One that has lost compression on one cylinder and one that is running perfectly besides HPFP diesel leak.

Last night, I tried to clear codes through the Nautabox on my 2006 OM647. Not sure how the long list of codes got there in the first place (probably something to do with a low batter start) but despite the Nautabox saying the codes are gone, the light doesn't go away and if I shut the van off and then start it and check the codes again, they're all back. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I know with the C3 you have to leave the key off for at least 10 seconds before checking codes again so I did that just in case.
Check the SD card for a complete list of the codes found. Even if they don’t fit into the scroll box, they are written to the DTC file on the chip.

My understanding is that, once erased, a “present” code will reappear as soon as the relevant test is repeated by the ECU and the fault is verified. Decoding the “status byte” (see post a few pages back) may help understand the van’s behaviour?

-dave

Nautamaran

I'm the other 2003 612 owner. I'm happy to wait as long as it takes for 612 support as this box is AMAZING.
@Nautamaran, you could take a warm vacation to Arizona and do the r&d on my van :). I should note that the TCM values register perfectly and it was neat to be able to monitor those values heading into the mountains this weekend.
I’d love to take you up on that offer... unfortunately I’ve got family commitments (three kids in jr. high) that keep me pretty grounded. :thumbup:

-dave

ClyneSnowtail

So I tried it out today. Its awesome. The oil temperature is neat to have. I did hit 242F and it went yellow while I was climbing a hill in 4th @ 75mph. Probably a good choice Im changing from the Rotella T6 5W40 to the T6 15W40 next change. Much better High Temperature High Shear viscosity on the 15W40 syn.
The MPG calculation was always reading zero, however. Im not sure what thats about.

Nautamaran

O2 voltage usually takes a few minutes to warm and produce a reading. MPG will sit at zero until then.

Maybe make next trip with logging active and see if MAF and O2 volts look reasonable? I’m guessing one isn’t providing data.

-dave

ClyneSnowtail

O2 voltage usually takes a few minutes to warm and produce a reading. MPG will sit at zero until then.

Maybe make next trip with logging active and see if MAF and O2 volts look reasonable? I’m guessing one isn’t providing data.

-dave
I was actually logging! So I pulled it and it doesnt look like O2 volts are recorded? I dont see a column for it, anyway.
My MAF was about 55 gps at Park idle, and During that hard run up the hill @ 75mph, load was between 85-90%, it was pulling 140-150gps. Peak I saw in the whole file was 171gps on one particular WOT run. Does this sound reasonable?

Nautamaran

Your MAF values sound about right?

I just scanned the programming... You’re right of course: it doesn’t log O2 voltage. :doh:
The MAF and MPG *are* logged though, so you can back-calculate the O2 voltage.
However the only way to get zero MPG is for the O2 voltage to be missing:

Lambda = f(O2 sensor voltage) = (0.47 v2 + 0.142 v + 1.06)

I’m then estimating mileage based on MAF, the O2 lambda ratio, and a 14.7:1 ideal air:fuel ratio, where:

Litres per 100km = 29.50 * MAF / lambda / speedKPH

If speed is zero, substitute L/hr = 29.5 * MAF / lambda
If lambda is zero, substitute zero

Then:
MPH = 235.2 / (litres per 100km)
unless L/100km is zero, then substitute zero.
(I need to add a check for zero speed here and display gal/hr)

The O2 sensor data is obtained using the standard SAE PId $24 service call.
MAF is obtained from SAE PId $10
Can other scan tools display you MAF and O2 voltage?

It may be worth finding room for the O2 sensor voltage on the details page.
I can certainly add it explicitly to the log file.

-dave

ClyneSnowtail

Awesome! Well, that tells the story then. If I have a MAF reading, and no MPG, then I must have no O2 voltage. Ill order a new O2 tonight, and update once I get it in.

Top Bottom