2019 4x4 Delay

sanomechanic

That sucks! I'd be giving that MB regional sales rep a call today. Hoping in turns up soon for you.
This has gone beyond ludicrous. If I had just got my re ordered back in Sept when the first date was canceled. I would have the van already. Just does not make sense.

lndscpe

Anyone have an update on colors from Charleston, or are we still stuck with 3?
Before my current order of a Tenorite Grey crew being built in Germany I was going to purchase another from Charleston in Tenorite, selenite, graphite grey or even blue, but when the order was placed for 3rd decade of February the order came back as only having the option of their four color rainbow ...... and that was, black, silver, white or pebble grey, at least Charleston’s rainbow ? somehow gained one color :frown:

Maybe something will change before to long there

sanomechanic

Anyone have an update on colors from Charleston, or are we still stuck with 3?
I ordered another van but from Dusseldorf this time. May take longer to get but at least van will not be plagued with issues. Those Charleston produced vans seem to be hit and miss on the quality. Order a Charleston build at your own risk.
Most colors are available for German built vans. Last I heard Charleston is now down to only black and white choice.No more silver

Last edited:

lndscpe

I ordered another van but from Dusseldorf this time. May take longer to get but at least van will not be plagued with issues. Those Charleston produced vans seem to be hit and miss on the quality. Order a Charleston build at your own risk.
Most colors are available for German built vans. Last I heard Charleston is now down to only black and white choice.No more silver
Nope silver was an option available, and I have a build sheet that Fort Wayne MB Vans has on order for February build if anyone is interested. Pebble grey was also available but no other colors, like you I was very glad to get a German build! :thumbup:

sanomechanic

Nope silver was an option available, and I have a build sheet that Fort Wayne MB Vans has on order for February build if anyone is interested. Pebble grey was also available but no other colors, like you I was very glad to get a German build! :thumbup:
After waiting over 9 months and still no van. Was fed up with the lies and BS. Got my deposit back and ordered a Dusseldorf build 11/5 for a 12/10 production. At that time only black and white was offered in Charleston. They really need to pull their heads out of their asses at that Charleston Plant. Worst way of doing business I've ever witnessed in the automotive industry. Have over 35 years experience with Lexus Toyota Honda Acura too.

lndscpe

After waiting over 9 months and still no van. Was fed up with the lies and BS. Got my deposit back and ordered a Dusseldorf build 11/5 for a 12/10 production. At that time only black and white was offered in Charleston. They really need to pull their heads out of their asses at that Charleston Plant. Worst way of doing business I've ever witnessed in the automotive industry. Have over 35 years experience with Lexus Toyota Honda Acura too.
You are correct I agree someone at MB needs to take note of how to deal with the rest of the buying public. The pious nature of the factory to just change placed orders or not even deliver has been a very large frustration for myself and many others on the forum. I’ve never had or could have imagined such a frustration with trying to order a new vehicle, I’ve never had any issues in ordering a new vehicle before and now the worry of my order not being fulfilled as I ordered or changed at the last moment is really a concern of mine!

I have come to see and understand why the competition can easily outsell MB in the van market. I’ve strongly considered a change often times throughout this year. But then I think heck I’ve waited this long maybe it’s just around the corner that it will come to fruition ........ so here I am with a pending order and I’m just hopeful I’m not wasting several more months to only find out MB decided to run out of paint or LED headlights or something else.......okay enough of my ranting ....... I’m just hopeful the wait will be worth the ride ��

Last edited:

430 hp 70

'19 144 Gas Passenger - Carlsbad
Order a Charleston build at your own risk.
Looking for a low roof passenger. I'm told they will be Charleston only.

The Goshawk

This is a commercial division, we are a small market of obsessive folks living in fantasy land. Cannot compare it to buying a regular car. MB caters well to business community , bulk fleet orders and those guys are not looking for finesse. Most importantly no matter what you choose, MB will decide where your van will be built, no guarantees on country. For now yes due to teething issues in Charleston some orders are being routed to Düsseldorf. Save yourself another disappointment if after all this your van gets built in Charleston!

Mr Makai

This is a commercial division, we are a small market of obsessive folks living in fantasy land. Cannot compare it to buying a regular car. MB caters well to business community , bulk fleet orders and those guys are not looking for finesse. Most importantly no matter what you choose, MB will decide where your van will be built, no guarantees on country. For now yes due to teething issues in Charleston some orders are being routed to Düsseldorf. Save yourself another disappointment if after all this your van gets built in Charleston!
Amazon: I'll take 25000 please

Me: just one and it needs to be special

In an era were most cars are offered in a few bundled packages it is a bit of a miracle you can still spec one of these exactly as you want it. But you do have to wait.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sanomechanic

, MB will decide where your van will be built, no guarantees on country. For now yes due to teething issues in Charleston some orders are being routed to Düsseldorf. Save yourself another disappointment if after all this your van gets built in Charleston!
The van has been supposedly built since July. Set for release 9/2 then pulled and changed to 11/30. December and Still no van. These undelivered vans are what they claim are "rework status" or " missing parts" or PNS or what ever other story the MBVANS managers tell the dealers. I suspect damaged during assembly and/or must be taken apart to fix critical issues such as wrong wiring harness installed or maybe cut during production.
Anyhow...there are so many reports of problems with these vans built between May and August. From paint issues, fuel leaks, 4x4 not engaging, ordered items missing. The list goes on and on. If a van was completed back in July. It only makes sense there is a good reason it continues to just sit for months on end.
Sitting up for months creates...Flat spotted tires, early battery failures, rusted brake rotors . This creates brake pulsations once you start driving. I'm sure plenty critters like spiders and wasps are setting up homesteads as well.
Remember where these vans are sitting . In a swamp cooking in the sun! that should really help condition those wet wiper systems.
Taking delivery of a van that has all these mysterious circumstances is indeed asking for more disappointment. The vans that have been produced after end of August have been flowing to dealers with out delay, complications or any complaints on the forum or elsewhere. this is not a commercial 'bulk fleet ordering" related situation I can assure you. Furthermore if a van has KP in the VIN number it is built in Germany. No reason for more disappointment there.:popcorn:

Last edited:

VanGoSki

For now yes due to teething issues in Charleston some orders are being routed to Düsseldorf. Save yourself another disappointment if after all this your van gets built in Charleston!
Where are you getting your information?

When you order a Sprinter, the build location and production window are specified in the PO. Code Z4V is for production in Dusseldorf and vans from Charleston are code Z4X. It would seem highly unlikely that MB could switch a build location and keep the same production date. Plus of course it would require a change to the PO. Do you have first-hand knowledge that this is happening?

sanomechanic

Where are you getting your information?

When you order a Sprinter, the build location and production window are specified in the PO. Code Z4V is for production in Dusseldorf and vans from Charleston are code Z4X. It would seem highly unlikely that MB could switch a build location and keep the same production date. Plus of course it would require a change to the PO. Do you have first-hand knowledge that this is happening?
If you read his past post. You can see he has little product knowledge

drbutton

Looking for a low roof passenger. I'm told they will be Charleston only.
I did not know that Daimler made a "low roof" passenger van. I was told by two dealers that they did not. Ford Transits DO come with a low roof passenger option - I should know I own one. Has something changed?

430 hp 70

'19 144 Gas Passenger - Carlsbad
I did not know that Daimler made a "low roof" passenger van. I was told by two dealers that they did not. Ford Transits DO come with a low roof passenger option - I should know I own one. Has something changed?

Low/standard roof passenger. I use those interchangeably, but I believe it's actually called "standard". Sprinters only have the 2 options, transits have 3.

They stopped producing a standard roof passenger because it does not meet federal roll over requirements. They have supposedly found a solution by designing windows that provide more structural support and allow the van to pass.

In 2019 a high roof was the only option for passengers. In 2020 they list standard roofs in the ordering guide as TBD and have added a roughly $3k option if you want the high roof. All indicators are pointing to a standard roof passenger becoming a reality, but the question is when....

For me it comes down to the fact that it will be the wife's daily driver and the initial 3k. Plus probably more $$$$ when she forgets how tall it is.

sanomechanic

Yup, could be a she too:)) looks like you assume a lot, no wonder disappointment finds you!
I know the Sprinter product and the ordering process quite well. Sorry to disappoint you. He/She/Tranny Forum Troll or whatever you may be. You should spend more time learning, reading and paying attention. End of the day your obviously clueless on how the custom ordering, purchase orders, and production is performed.

Last edited:

HarryN

It's too bad that Amazon doesn't spec a van with more features. That would potentially drive volume in the crew market and vans that are easy to turn into conversions when the lease ends.

I am hopeful that the need to report end of year financial results will help clean up the vehicles sitting in inventory.

In the meantime, ford is having trouble with shipping transits as well, especially the crew versions.

Top Bottom