Traveling with an Inflatable Boat

GlennR

2016 4x4 170
Do any of you carry an inflatable boat along on your adventures? I see bikes under everyone's bed platform, but no boats. it seems like many destinations are to places on the water and every time I'm visiting the beach or a lake I've wished for a boat. Sure, rentals are often available. But, they aren't always available when & where you are, and there are the rules, the scheduling, and the cost.

It just seems like having an inflatable boat along in the van would be great whenever you find yourself at a beautiful place with water to explore.

Any good tips or advice about what size boat or motor has worked well, or not so well, for you? Pics or videos would be great too.

Davydd

I have traveled with Advanced Element two inflatable kayaks. If stored inside like under a bed you must clean by hosing down thoroughly or you will get the algae lake smell below you.

EvanS

Yes, we have an inflatable kayak. It can seat 2 people and is rated for class 4 rapids. It's the Sea Eagle 380x and if you have the cash, it's totally worth it. Works great on lakes, ponds, streams and difficult class 4 rapids. We have it in the rear garage where our bikes are. It folds up and stores well. We wipe it down very carefully after each use to prevent the spread of aquatic species and to prevent storing it wet.

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
Yes, we have an inflatable kayak. It can seat 2 people and is rated for class 4 rapids. It's the Sea Eagle 380x and if you have the cash, it's totally worth it. Works great on lakes, ponds, streams and difficult class 4 rapids. We have it in the rear garage where our bikes are. It folds up and stores well. We wipe it down very carefully after each use to prevent the spread of aquatic species and to prevent storing it wet.
you take a 2 person (basically more of a sea kayak design) inflatable on class 4 whitewater ??
Hmmmmmm.... that I’d like to see, I’ll have my throw bag ready...

I have taken my inflatable Uli Sup and my Sotar inflatable kayak in my Sprinter, an outboard powered, small inflatable (unless a zodiac style boat) most likely wouldn’t have a strong enough transom to support a 20 hp outboard or rigid enough to truly use one (not to mention the size of the boat that would need a 20 HP motor) most inflatable tenders typically use around a 5 hp motor that I’ve seen, for 20 hp+ you’d want something the sz of a Zodiac MkII, NOT cheap nor a small bundle in reality...

get a pack raft if you just want to relax and putz around... super light and a small bundle for storage...

Last edited:

EvanS

you take a 2 person (basically more of a sea kayak design) inflatable on class 4 whitewater ??
Hmmmmmm.... that I’d like to see, I’ll have my throw bag ready...

I have taken my inflatable Uli Sup and my Sotar inflatable kayak in my Sprinter, an outboard powered, small inflatable (unless a zodiac style boat) most likely wouldn’t have a strong enough transom to support a 20 hp outboard or rigid enough to truly use one (not to mention the size of the boat that would need a 20 HP motor) most inflatable tenders typically use around a 5 hp motor that I’ve seen, for 20 hp+ you’d want something the sz of a Zodiac MkII, NOT cheap nor a small bundle in reality...

get a pack raft if you just want to relax and putz around... super light and a small bundle for storage...
I guess you're not familiar with the Sea eagle 380x then.

We've taken it on class 3's and it worked great!

It may be rated to class 4's but we aren't haha! We'll have to work up to that skill level.

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
I used to help rep Sotar boats here in Alaska, have guided many river trips and paddled/rowed lots of Class IV-V water... I’ve been in Sea Eagles before, thats why I made my sarcastic remark (and stand by it too) I’d take my Sotar inflatable kayak over ANY sea eagle for ANY whitewater useage... for relaxed touring a Sea Eagle is just fine and durable enough...
lots of manufacturers make big claims about their products but in reality is nothing but BS..
how many first descents around the World has Sea Eagle made as compared to the many Sotars have made ??
just speaking from many years of experience being on waters around the World....
ANY time on the water in anything is better than standing on the shoreline watching others have fun...

EvanS

I used to help rep Sotar boats here in Alaska, have guided many river trips and paddled/rowed lots of Class IV-V water... I’ve been in Sea Eagles before, thats why I made my sarcastic remark (and stand by it too) I’d take my Sotar inflatable kayak over ANY sea eagle for ANY whitewater useage... for relaxed touring a Sea Eagle is just fine and durable enough...
lots of manufacturers make big claims about their products but in reality is nothing but BS..
how many first descents around the World has Sea Eagle made as compared to the many Sotars have made ??
just speaking from many years of experience being on waters around the World....
ANY time on the water in anything is better than standing on the shoreline watching others have fun...
You're making an apples and oranges comparison.

Remember, this whole convo stems from OPs question about putting a kayak in the garage of his van and using it when he happens upon a nice place. You don't need a Sotar Kayak, that's the Ferrari of whitewater which the OP hasn't asked about.

I mention the Sea Eagle and it's capabilities because it is a jack of most trade and the master of none.

It's a good answer to OPs question because it will fit most of his use cases. I don't he's going to do solo class 4 or class 5 rapids where an ultra expensive Sotar craft is the only solution.

GlennR

2016 4x4 170
I was surprised that such affordable boats could handle so much power too. I read about them and checked out videos on YouTube. It appears that they are quite sturdy and tough, even though quite affordable. Asian imports have been getting better every year. I recently bought a Chinese motorcycle that was much cheaper than a Japanese bike, but the build quality is very good.

I checked the weights of outboards and discovered that 20 Hp ones are about the same weight as the 9.9 Hp ones. The most basic (pull start, tiller steer, manual tilt)20 Hp models are about 95 lbs. The motor size rating on the one I ordered is 30 Hp / 150 lbs. That gives me hopes that a 20 Hp weighing 95 lbs works well.

I ended up placing an order for a 12' inflatable from https://www.boatstogo.com/12-mars-inflatable-boats-psm365.asp It only weighs 90 lbs and is rated for 30 Hp. I'll probably get a 20 Hp since that's the largest size that's still under 100 lbs. The 12' boat should fly with 20 Hp. I can't imagine what it would be like with 30 Hp!

I'll post more after it arrives. :)
That should be a good choice.

Not that you asked...

We have a vinyl 14' Sea Eagle, a hypalon 11' Seaworthy, and a 11' hypalon Avon. All have wood or plastic flat floors. Because it is a bit heavier to transport, the 14' only gets used when we vacation with the 2 sister-in-laws.

I also have a choice of 9.8, 15, or 18 hp 2 cycle engines. The 14' is rated for 40 hp. I've tried them all with the various boats. I no longer mess with the larger hp engines. The 9.8 hp is lightest. With 3 people in the 14' Sea Eagle and some weight shifting the 9.8 hp will get us up on plane. With 2 people we pop right up on plane with no problem. Dealing with older engines, I carry a Nissan 3.5 hp engine as a backup. (I'd hate to have a problem and know that I left a backup engine home.) Even the 3.5 hp will get the 11' boats up on plane when I'm alone. I haven't tried that with the 14' boat.

The newer 4 stroke engines are heavier. I'm not familiar with the 4 strokes, but I know that in 2 stroke engines many 9.9 and 15 hp outboards share the same basic engine frame. A 9.9 weighs the same as a 15 hp. Be certain to place a 4 stroke engine correctly when storing or the engine oil will go where you don't want it.

If you will mostly be just 2 in the boat I would go for a 9.8 or 15 hp engine. It will do all that you need for 2 people. The difference in weight/size when muscling around or storing the engine is worth it.

I made a dolly for moving the boat around and for launch/retrieval. It makes things easier. There are commercial dollies available. Another option is two swing wheels that fasten to the transom. My bother-in-law tried those. They work, but the weight isn't balanced at all. Picking up and supporting the bow of the can be heavy. BIL would often forget things. I coined "WUV me". Wheels up, vent open (fuel tank). He eventually went to a dolly.

If you decide to make a dolly be careful if choosing a DIY PVC pipe style. I've seen quite a few of those designs which failed during launch/retrieval. I used aluminum channel for the dollies that I built.

For general information. There are many other brands.

Dolly.
http://www.castlecraft.com/trailex_beach_launching_dolly.htm
(Make sure that the handle kicks up high enough to make moving easy. If the design is straight, I suppose that a short piece of line with a PVC handle could be added.)

Swing wheels.
https://www.amazon.com/Inflatable-Transom-Launching-Dinghy-Tender/dp/B01FVH6U5K
These kick under which may help with balance.
http://www.aquamarineboat.com/index.php?mode=prod&id=297

I think you'll love the opportunities that the inflatable powered sport boat opens up for you.

:cheers: vic

Added:
There's some good general information here.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/advice-please-on-15-hp-versus-9-9-hp-outboards-185792.html

Suzuki shares the same frame for 15 and 20 hp. That may be a good option.
"I second this, the draw to Suzuki is that so far the fuel injection seems both bullet proof, and ethanol immune, the 15 and 20 HP anyway as they are the same motor."

I think that the information gained is worth slogging through to the end of the thread.
As an aside, don't believe the "easy upgrade from 9.9 to 15 hp" comments. It may be true for some models/brands, but many have different sized exhaust legs, etc. It's not always just a simple carburetor modification.

Last edited:

GlennR

2016 4x4 170
That should be a good choice.

Not that you asked...

We have a vinyl 14' Sea Eagle, a hypalon 11' Seaworthy, and a 11' hypalon Avon. All have wood or plastic flat floors. Because it is a bit heavier to transport, the 14' only gets used when we vacation with the 2 sister-in-laws.

I also have a choice of 9.8, 15, or 18 hp 2 cycle engines. The 14' is rated for 40 hp. I've tried them all with the various boats. I no longer mess with the larger hp engines. The 9.8 hp is lightest. With 3 people in the 14' Sea Eagle and some weight shifting the 9.8 hp will get us up on plane. With 2 people we pop right up on plane with no problem. Dealing with older engines, I carry a Nissan 3.5 hp engine as a backup. (I'd hate to have a problem and know that I left a backup engine home.) Even the 3.5 hp will get the 11' boats up on plane when I'm alone. I haven't tried that with the 14' boat.

The newer 4 stroke engines are heavier. I'm not familiar with the 4 strokes, but I know that in 2 stroke engines many 9.9 and 15 hp outboards share the same basic engine frame. A 9.9 weighs the same as a 15 hp. Be certain to place the engine correctly when storing or the engine oil will go where you don't want it.

If you will mostly be just 2 in the boat I would go for a 9.8 or 15 hp engine. It will do all that you need for 2 people. The difference in weight/size when muscling around or storing the engine is worth it.

I made a dolly for moving the boat around and for launch/retrieval. It makes things easier. There are commercial dollies available. Another option is two swing wheels that fasten to the transom. My bother-in-law tried those. They work, but the weight isn't balanced at all. Picking up and supporting the bow of the can be heavy. BIL would often forget things. I coined "WUV me". Wheels up, vent open (fuel tank). He eventually went to a dolly.

If you decide to make a dolly be careful if choosing a DIY PVC pipe style. I've seen quite a few of those designs which failed during launch/retrieval. I used aluminum channel for the dollies that I built.

For general information. There are many other brands.

Dolly.
http://www.castlecraft.com/trailex_beach_launching_dolly.htm
(Make sure that the handle kicks up high enough to make moving easy. If the design is straight, I suppose that a short piece of line with a PVC handle could be added.)

Swing wheels.
https://www.amazon.com/Inflatable-Transom-Launching-Dinghy-Tender/dp/B01FVH6U5K
These kick under which may help with balance.
http://www.aquamarineboat.com/index.php?mode=prod&id=297

I think you'll love the opportunities that the inflatable powered sport boat opens up for you.

Thanks for the tips & advice. I did order a set of transom mounted wheels. If they aren't good enough I'll rig up a dolly. Maybe I can borrow the front wheels from our bicycles that we'll have on board the van.

I have a never used 9.9 Nissan ex-long shaft (25") for a sailboat, but I don't think it's a simple conversion to shorten it to a 15". That's all the power I'd need, but if I have to shop for a shorter outboard I'll get a little more Hp since they weigh the same. We live on a large lake and I've found that it never hurts to have a little extra power on big water.

Btw, I also ordered a "Winter waterproof enclosure". It was only $139 for Black Friday. I don't know if I'll like it, but I've always thought it would be nice to cruise around in cold weather.

https://www.alekoproducts.com/BWTENT380B-Winter-Canopy-Boat-Tent-Blue-p/bwtent380b-ap.htm

Btw, I also ordered a "Winter waterproof enclosure". It was only $139 for Black Friday. I don't know if I'll like it, but I've always thought it would be nice to cruise around in cold weather.

That looks nice. Good price. All of our inflatable boating is in nice weather. I've considered a Bimini top for the 14', but it's one more thing to mess with.

Certainly within a weight range I'd go for more horsepower in an outboard. Once installed on the boat any engine is fine. It's the manhandling to get it there and back which is the problem.

Unless you like poking around in the shallows (like we do), a long shaft 9.8 engine will work with an inflatable. I believe that the higher hp outboards have a longer shaft. 20" sticks in my mind vs 15" for smaller engines. You'll need the extra length when up to the higher speeds. The 15 hp Evinrude with 15" shaft that I have will occasionally grab air and cavitate when up to speed. The 18 hp with longer shaft has no problems.

I've always been a hypalon boat guy. The Avon is 1991, the Seaworthy is 1990. Both have patches, but the seams are all intact. The PVC Sea Eagle is a 2004. So far it too has been fine. We do have a cover to protect our boats from the Florida sun. UV cover protection is more critical for PVC boats.

GlennR

2016 4x4 170
The boat arrived yesterday. Wanted to check it out before ordering the outboard, so I ordered a 20 Hp Tohatsu this morning. It should be here Monday.

I need to order a 12V air pump. It isn't really portable until I can inflate it from the van, right? It seems like I'll need a pressure gauge too. I guess it would be smart to get a pump with a built-in gauge and also a hand gauge too.

To be legal I'll need a fire extinguisher, a throwable flotation device & a horn (maybe a whistle will suffice?)

The boat doesn't have any D-rings on the inside. It seems like a few would be handy towards the bow, so I can keep some ballast up there when I'm riding solo.

I need to order a 12V air pump. It isn't really portable until I can inflate it from the van, right?
Check the reviews on 12 volt pumps. In my experience many aren't up to inflating a sport boat. I use a small 120 volt pump until it stops filling the boat. From there I top off with a hand or foot pump. If no 120 volt power is available I use an inverter with the Sprinter engine running. (I only have a chassis battery.)

Surprisingly it isn't terrible to inflate a boat using the foot pump, or a proper hand pump.

This electric pump works for me.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003LIKRKQ

... It seems like I'll need a pressure gauge too. I guess it would be smart to get a pump with a built-in gauge and also a hand gauge too.
I bought this one. Check for compatibility with your brand air fill valves.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EVIJLJ8

The tubes don't need to always be rock hard. With my old boats I'm always cautious about the tube pressures. It is easy for the tubes to go to higher pressure when the boat is sitting in the sun. You'll soon learn what a properly inflated boat feels like.

...To be legal I'll need a fire extinguisher, a throwable flotation device & a horn (maybe a whistle will suffice?)
Throwable. Yes.
Whistle = sound producing device. Yes.
Fire extinguisher. Maybe. +++
Depending upon jurisdiction, some small boats don't need it. I don't really think that a fire extinguisher will be of much practical use in a tiny rubber boat anyway.

...The boat doesn't have any D-rings on the inside. It seems like a few would be handy towards the bow, so I can keep some ballast up there when I'm riding solo.
Rather than ballast, purchase an outboard tiller extension and keep your weight forward. Don't underestimate how the wind can get under the boat when you're alone. That's especially true on windy days.

D-rings can be fairly easily added to a PVC boat. I added seat fittings to the PVC Sea Eagle because the original positions weren't optimal. For adding fittings or patching the PVC buy HH66 cement. Follow the instructions. Check Youtube videos.

I always carry some of this along with an air pump.
https://www.amazon.com/Tear-Aid-Vinyl-Repair-Green-Type/dp/B012SJTJ7A

It works! For small patches the tape can be permanent. For larger tears, it will get you home or even let you complete your vacation/trip.
Be careful with ocean fish. We had an ocean catfish spike the side of our boat while being brought aboard. I knew that they had nasty poisonous barbs, but didn't consider that they could stab the boat. After I finally located that leak, a small Tear Aid patch covered the pinhole.

+++ When using my inflatable boats in Florida an extinguisher is not required. In Pennsylvania I believe that one is technically required (Vessels <26 ft. No exemptions?). (I have never been asked to produce one.)

https://myfwc.com/boating/safety-education/equipment/vessels-under-16-feet/
Florida
"Fire Extinguisher
Must be USCG-approved - Must be in serviceable condition

One USCG-approved B-1 type fire extinguisher is required for all recreational motorboats except outboard-powered motorboats less than 26 feet long if constructed in a manner that will not allow gas fumes to accumulate [aka "open boat"]. If your boat has a built-in fuel tank, an inboard engine, compartments where portable fuel tanks may be stored, or open areas between the hull and deck where flammable or explosive gases could accumulate, you must carry a fire extinguisher. Non-motorized boats are exempt from the fire extinguisher requirements."

Last edited:

ranchworld

'06 158 2500 Passenger
I am looking for a very small packed size two person kayak. I found this store : https://www.airkayaks.com/ and am focusing on the Innova Twist. They make a one person that weighs 20 lbs: https://www.airkayaks.com/innova-twist-1n-3psi-inflatable-1-man-kayak/
And a two person the weighs 30 lbs : https://www.airkayaks.com/innova-twist-2n-3psi-inflatable-kayak-for-1-or-2-paddlers/
Here's one that only weighs 7 lbs! : https://www.airkayaks.com/advanced-elements-4lb-packlite-inflatable-kayak-ae3021/

Another option is an inflatable SUP (stand up paddle board).

The inflatable kayaks caught my eye too. The inexpensive ones anyway. The compact storage size is attractive. So far I have resisted.

Another option is an inflatable SUP (stand up paddle board).
Is that really an option?

There's no good place to stow a cooler.

Last edited:

ranchworld

'06 158 2500 Passenger
It's an option if your main goal is to have a way to move around on the waters surface. Not fast or efficient but a lot of fun. Most of them have shockcord grids to attach coolers or whatever. They are also cheap... Costco even has them.

GlennR

2016 4x4 170
SUPs are cheap and versatile. BoatsToGo has a simple setup that connects two SUPs making a simple raft. I bet it would be pretty zippy with a 12V trolling motor or some type of sail or kite.

Garandman

We bought a Bravo digital 12V pump: you set the pressure and it inflates to that number. Important for us because the high pressure inflatable floor is 7.8psi and that’s tough with a foot pump. They allow you to deflate the boat as well.
https://www.defender.com/category.jsp?id=2345875

We had a 12’ RIB with 25hp Tohatsu, and it would do 25 knots - in flat water. If it’s choppy you’ll be lucky to stay at planing speed. Although we have a 15, most of the time we use a 6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke that weighs 58 lbs (same as 4 and 5). We out on a high torque prop so it will [just barely] plane with 2-4 people aboard. I guess if you are going on small lakes where there isn’t much wave action you can tear around with 20hp.

Our other inflatable needs a trailer....

Garandman

I am looking for a very small packed size two person kayak. I found this store : https://www.airkayaks.com/ and am focusing on the Innova Twist. They make a one person that weighs 20 lbs: https://www.airkayaks.com/innova-twist-1n-3psi-inflatable-1-man-kayak/
And a two person the weighs 30 lbs : https://www.airkayaks.com/innova-twist-2n-3psi-inflatable-kayak-for-1-or-2-paddlers/
Here's one that only weighs 7 lbs! : https://www.airkayaks.com/advanced-elements-4lb-packlite-inflatable-kayak-ae3021/.
Not sure why everyone is so obsessed with weight for car camping? I’d definately go for a two person boat - to split the paddling! Weight = durability.

Here’s a detailed test of some inflatable dinghies. We have an 11’ Achilles air floor. They are all Hypalon, made in Japan, with quality valves. It’s 10 years old and should last many more years.

Note that the OP boat a PVC boat and outboard. Gas attacks PVC. Be careful.

https://www.practical-sailor.com/issues/26_23/features/4459-1.html

Top Bottom