Graphite Grey Paint Issues

How many others out there have paint issues with there Graphite Grey paint?

If the light is right there are numerous, actually a lot of silverish dull spots that look to be in the clear coat? At first I thought it was an oily looking smudge, then we’ve had rain and cloudy days and now a nice sunny day and Baam a lot of spots all over the van.

The company that installed the clear film on the hood today said they can polish these out and have seen this on a lot of the Tesla’s they work on. I took it by my dealer and they are going to try to polish but will have to wait about 2 months until get it back from the upfitter.

Any others out there with this issue and if so how did your dealer resolve?

Thanks

kfo

How many others out there have paint issues with there Graphite Grey paint?

If the light is right there are numerous, actually a lot of silverish dull spots that look to be in the clear coat? At first I thought it was an oily looking smudge, then we’ve had rain and cloudy days and now a nice sunny day and Baam a lot of spots all over the van.

The company that installed the clear film on the hood today said they can polish these out and have seen this on a lot of the Tesla’s they work on. I took it by my dealer and they are going to try to polish but will have to wait about 2 months until get it back from the upfitter.

Any others out there with this issue and if so how did your dealer resolve?

Thanks
Same issue, same color. 5 quite noticeable spots on the back doors. If you look closely it’s where MB tried to work out imperfections. For example, one of mine has a dimple and the other has a tiny raised speck of paint. Frustrating-dealer said they can work then out too.

sanomechanic

These paint issues: There is no way to duplicate the way paint's orange peel effect comes from the factory. If any areas are re painted. It will always look different, wear different, fade different, age different than the rest of the original paint. That's a fact. If and when you go to re sell and/or trade in. These paint repairs will reduce the value. Any good car professional will find them and reduce the appraisal. Try to keep the original paint on, even if there is a piece of trash, blemish or a run in the paint. Never does a single spot get a repaint. It is an entire panel. NOT GOOD

Remember...The more it is buffed out, the more original orange peel is removed. In time that area will show up even worse than before. Every time you buff, Paint Material is removed and thinned out.

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
On a related note, the South Carolina plant that's building Sprinters in the US (vs merely assembling "kits") is only supplying black/white/grey colors due to problems with the quality of paint they were getting.

If your warranty covers the paint, start nudging MB now instead of waiting for it to get worse after the warranty expires.
(i had a friend who got a free complete paint job on his Jeep *just* before its 7-year coverage warranty expired))

--dick (so far beyond warranty...)

BigDC

I have posted this exact thing a couple of other times and am currently working with my dealer to have the van repainted under warranty. Let’s all make sure to keep everyone updated on our individual experiences.

I was instructed to take the van to a Mercedes-Benz certified body shop in the Denver area. Their verdict was that this was a factory issue and not an attempt by the local dealer to mask something they did before I took delivery. After two trips and multiple phone calls, my understanding is that they have provided a quote for repainting a few sections of the van (hood, driver door area, and entire driver rear panel). I was told that they can see signs of debris under the paint. Their theory is that the MB QA noted this and they tried to address.

I will be calling the service manager on Monday because he has yet to call me and the body shop wouldn’t tell me when he got the quote.

Sano, you’ve made the same argument about the impacted value of the van when I’ve posted my issue before. How does the squeaky wheel get the grease in terms of proper compensation?

Attachments

BigDC

On a related note, the South Carolina plant that's building Sprinters in the US (vs merely assembling "kits") is only supplying black/white/grey colors due to problems with the quality of paint they were getting.

If your warranty covers the paint, start nudging MB now instead of waiting for it to get worse after the warranty expires.
(i had a friend who got a free complete paint job on his Jeep *just* before its 7-year coverage warranty expired))

--dick (so far beyond warranty...)
They try to tell me that the reason for the three colors is that they want to churn out some vans and that it’s not a paint issue. I told them that I don’t buy that and that my van confirms it is a paint issue. Now that I hear others with the same problem, I know they’re full of it.

sanomechanic

I have posted this exact thing a couple of other times and am currently working with my dealer to have the van repainted under warranty.

Sano, you’ve made the same argument about the impacted value of the van when I’ve posted my issue before. How does the squeaky wheel get the grease in terms of proper compensation?
That's a tough one. Call MBVANS customer service and get a case opened. Try to escalate to a supervisor. Request a credit for diminished value due to that non original paint. If you can get a letter from someone doing an appraisal for trade in value, showing deduction for non factory paint. That would be huge.

Any competent manager at MB knows full well. Once a vehicle has been repainted. That instantly reduces the re sale and trade in value. Just ask any sales manager at any dealership.

If you want to be compensated. You gonna have to be persistent. I surely would. Contact your insurance company and see if they have any advice about diminished values

I would prefer to be compensated and then leave the factory paint alone. Truth be told

Last edited:
Yep those are the same type of spots, gosh I wish I only had 5 or so, I've got 30+ all over the van, every panel is effected. Some areas will get cut out for window install so they will get a break on repairing those.

Please let me know your outcome and I will update on my progress with MB/Dealer once van returns from build.

BigDC

Yep those are the same type of spots, gosh I wish I only had 5 or so, I've got 30+ all over the van, every panel is effected. Some areas will get cut out for window install so they will get a break on repairing those.

Please let me know your outcome and I will update on my progress with MB/Dealer once van returns from build.
My hood is pretty bad, but I fortunately don’t have it all over like you do. It sure is disappointing especially because this was my second color choice.

sanomechanic

The right thing for MB to do is lower price of van. Especially refund the premium paint color charge

Last edited:

Wrinkledpants

2017 144WB 4x4
I have posted this exact thing a couple of other times and am currently working with my dealer to have the van repainted under warranty. Let’s all make sure to keep everyone updated on our individual experiences.

I was instructed to take the van to a Mercedes-Benz certified body shop in the Denver area. Their verdict was that this was a factory issue and not an attempt by the local dealer to mask something they did before I took delivery. After two trips and multiple phone calls, my understanding is that they have provided a quote for repainting a few sections of the van (hood, driver door area, and entire driver rear panel). I was told that they can see signs of debris under the paint. Their theory is that the MB QA noted this and they tried to address.

I will be calling the service manager on Monday because he has yet to call me and the body shop wouldn’t tell me when he got the quote.

Which body shop did they recommend?

kfo

Anyone have updates on this? I’ve discovered about 5 more spots. I don’t want to repaint particularly, but I am interested in diminished value talk. Perhaps I should contact an attorney?

sanomechanic

Anyone have updates on this? I’ve discovered about 5 more spots. I don’t want to repaint particularly, but I am interested in diminished value talk. Perhaps I should contact an attorney?
If you find enough people having issues you can easily find an attorney to file a class action suit since MB has deep pockets

BigDC

Wow, you have this and the diesel issue from the other thread. I would be highly inclined to take the van back to the dealer and make them take it back.

I still have no word from MB on the status of my paint claim. Took 4 weeks to get a quote. Called body shop for a third time asking there the quote was. They told me they sent it to the dealer about a week prior and that they could not share with me. Dealer has said they had submitted to MB USA.

I’ll give them until mid week until I reapply pressure. I don’t have time for this crap.

FYI, got our van back from polishing and they were able to get all the spots out, guessing there were around 30. I took it to a shop that specializes in paint correction and also does ceramic coating and paint protection film. They did a fantastic job and the paint looks like it should have from the start.

I felt this shop would do a much better job then the local dealer & dealer has forwarded on the invoice to MB and stated I will get reimbursed so will see how long that takes.

Attachments

ScottishDingo

FYI, got our van back from polishing and they were able to get all the spots out, guessing there were around 30. I took it to a shop that specializes in paint correction and also does ceramic coating and paint protection film. They did a fantastic job and the paint looks like it should have from the start.

I felt this shop would do a much better job then the local dealer & dealer has forwarded on the invoice to MB and stated I will get reimbursed so will see how long that takes.
what was the cost?

to clarify they only polished no buff/paint removal?

ScottishDingo

Wow, you have this and the diesel issue from the other thread. I would be highly inclined to take the van back to the dealer and make them take it back.

I still have no word from MB on the status of my paint claim. Took 4 weeks to get a quote. Called body shop for a third time asking there the quote was. They told me they sent it to the dealer about a week prior and that they could not share with me. Dealer has said they had submitted to MB USA.

I’ll give them until mid week until I reapply pressure. I don’t have time for this crap.
what did MB do for you?

ScottishDingo

See attached pictures you guys have the same darker maybe polished spots? I can see a bit of something they where trying to remove still there in center of the polished spots. The spots show up in bright light and even better when clean. Here is what I have you guys

52207D1B-FC76-4BAD-96EA-67810D8B9AE1.jpeg354F691C-530F-4F43-B7B3-276165E63E45.jpeg3C33A770-496E-45A8-B008-4ED7B087709D.jpeg

BigDC

See attached pictures you guys have the same darker maybe polished spots? I can see a bit of something they where trying to remove still there in center of the polished spots. The spots show up in bright light and even better when clean. Here is what I have you guys
Yep, that’s exactly what I had. Body shop thought it was a lousy attempt to address dust or dirt under the paint. Their verdict was that it was definitely factory and not the dealer trying to cover up an issue that arose in transport or on the lot. I think my photos are somewhere in the chain above. They’ll repaint the offending areas, but you may need to put pressure to get them to escalate the matter. Unfortunately, it is quite an extensive undertaking in order to adhere to the MB standards. They had to remove all the factory glass, head and tail lights, trim, door, etc.

Top Bottom