2016 4WD High Roof Crew Weekender Build - family of 4 with smaller kids

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
Where to eat or play a card game?

Front Lagun Table Mount done. A big problem with rear bench couches is you have to move all your gear to sit down and enjoy a table or sleep on your bed...at least in my vans when I use them I can end up with a lot of stuff in the back. So by having a front area that is always clear, you can quickly have a place to sit down and not have to move anything. Table easily stores away. I use the Lagun mount vs a pedestal mount as it swings out of the way so you can easily get in/out of the front area even from the back. Its the feature we use the most in my own van for sure...still get views out the back and side...just open the doors.

table1.jpg

table2.jpg

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
Why the rear sleep set up?

So when having a family of 3-4 in a high roof isn't ideal due to limited storage space I recommend using an adjustable height bed and Decked drawer system. I use the Adventure Wagon adjustable bed because its very simple, modular, and made really well. It also is the only bed you can use in a passenger van that can go high into the window space because clearance for the rail mounts clears the rear seats. The Decked system allows you to store as much stuff as possible under the "lower" bed (good for people up to about 5 6" sleeping sideways) and minimize how much stuff you have to move around to sleep. It will handle a lot of weight and they even sell L track to mount on it. The bins as well are water proof...perfect for wet gear. With the Adventure Wagon Mule bags (up to three) and this storage...you can store a majority of your personal items off the floor. All of this is modular...bags, bed, and even the Decked system can be removed with no damage to the van. Bags and bed remove in minutes. Decked is just four nuts. Really modular, simple, and very flexible layout.

A custom 3 panel mattress will go on the MOAB bed...have that made, just have to trim the foam for the zip off automotive grade microfiber covers.

Second pic is another van with drawers pulled out...but you get the idea.

rearbed.jpg

decked.JPG

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
Photo Album Link. This van is for sale and is now completed. I will be updating album over next few days. Really great van for family, snow trips, or for camper for two.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tUq1JXyfxK2naDen7

20k in parts and over 130 hours of work.

275 BFG KO2 Tires on Black Rhino 17" rims - selected these tire/wheel combo as its a really nice size, easy driving, and adds a lot to the look of the van

Insulation and sound deadening (3m thinsulate, raam mat)-this combination done correctly really makes the van much quieter and is a very large upgrade; did this extensively in van
224 ah deep cell AGM Battery in hood with fuse panel under passenger seat-power system is out of the way in the engine compartment; AGM performance is cold is excellent, and this is more than enough power to operate fridge, laptops, phones, fan, heater, lights...

200W renogy solar mounted on custom bars into factory OEM roof rails-this allows non stop use when not driving for power demands, the custom bars give clearance for an awning and are easily unbolted to clean under the solar panels when needed

Maxx Air Fan Deluxe with remote-pulls hot air out quickly, remote and temperature sensitive

L Track through out van for Mule Bags and MOAB Bed-lots of storage...when sleeping 4...all this storage means you move less

LED Puck lighting throughout van-lights up van for clean reading light, very low power, flush to the headliner

12V and USB outlets throughout van for Fridge, Kitchenette, Lap Tops, Phones

Adventure Wagon MOAB Bed with custom 3 panel mattress-adjustable bed allows flexibly configurations, room for gear, and is very easy to remove when needed

Adventure Wagon Mule Bag (one included)-Huge semi rigid storage; these are not cheap soft versions of hanging bags; they are very stiff

CR Laurence Vented windows (slider door and opposite window)-allow ventilation, screens keep bugs out, and two windows allow cross flow of air

Rear quarter windows for great visibility; privacy can easily be obtained with window covers-really easy to drive; you see all the blind spots and a great view to the outdoors

RecPro Coin Flooring-easy to clean and durable, this floor also is not slippery when wet, superior to a wood floor

Lagun Table front mount-a place to eat and hang out with out moving all your gear

Swivel Seats (driver and passenger)-allow front seating area

Espar D2L with Pro Controller aux heater-this heater is quieter, has built in error reading, and an automatic built in high altitude sensor with longer lasting fan

Upgraded front speakers-you actually get pretty good sound with the speaker upgrade; keeps stock look and thieves away; blue tooth connection for nav and other features
Rear added door speakers
Decked drawer system in rear-more storage, water proof bins for wet gear or you can have a pull out kitchen; easily removable with four nuts if not needed.

Aluminess Tread Step Nerf Bar-easy of entry in a tall van; tread steps also make it pet friendly!

Rear OEM factory Booster heater (van set up for cold weather use and ski trips)-OEM extra heater for cold season traveling

Where to eat or play a card game?

Front Lagun Table Mount done. A big problem with rear bench couches is you have to move all your gear to sit down and enjoy a table or sleep on your bed...at least in my vans when I use them I can end up with a lot of stuff in the back. So by having a front area that is always clear, you can quickly have a place to sit down and not have to move anything. Table easily stores away. I use the Lagun mount vs a pedestal mount as it swings out of the way so you can easily get in/out of the front area even from the back. Its the feature we use the most in my own van for sure...still get views out the back and side...just open the doors.

View attachment 119309

View attachment 119310
Sweet build! Can you post a pic of how you mount the Lagun table? My wife has been bugging me to install one but I couldn't figure out where to mount the base.
Cheers, Belch

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
Sweet build! Can you post a pic of how you mount the Lagun table? My wife has been bugging me to install one but I couldn't figure out where to mount the base.
Cheers, Belch
For NCV3 with stock bench seats I made a bracket. I also posted a thread on it so if you can weld...you can make your own. On the newer Sprinters you can make one out of wood pretty easily as the seats have a flat surface on the front...you just have to be creative and using that to make a vertical mount.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61645

https://www.cacampervan.com/sprintertablemount

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
Some things to be aware of when buying a used van even with low miles there are always potentially things you don't see; this van had rodents eat away at a blower seal and a fuel line ...which $1000 later was fixed of course. Even a low mile van can have issues...in this case it sitting so some mice/rats could nibble a way a bit. I actually did not see this damage at all, overall it was very minor but I like things perfect and it just broke the fan seal enough that it made a bit more noise on the highest setting that I had it looked at...and as picky as I am with my personal vans that I use personally or put up for sale I had it looked into and fixed...1k later. So many little things that I did not cover in this thread have been addressed as to me thats part of getting a used van dialed. I can tell you as many used vans I see, even low miles...there is always a few small things. This will be a super van for someone looking to save a lot of money over new who wants a build done correctly and all the small stuff taken care of so its drive and and have fun with no worries. It has all you need except a kitchenette if you don't need the seating or put a two seater in with a kitchette. I have that addressed as well...bolt in kitchenette option for 2k with a sink/stove combo...plug and play no assembly would make this a full dry camper minus the huge costs all with aux heat for camping, solar, storage, ventilation, eating area, windows, tires, nerf bars,...

Last edited:

Duwi100

More internet magic...moving forward another week...

I have installed the MOAB bed wall mount kit. (more on this later), L track for upper storage of Mule Bags, and the heater is in along with LED lights and light switches. One for rear and one for front. Rear so you can read on the bed, front for the table, map reading, and the front seating area that will come up later towards the very end of this build. Notice all of this wiring was done and had to be done when the headliner was out. There is a huge amount of work that ideally would be done when the headliner is out. Yes the L track needs to be secured...behind the headliner you have a lot of empty space, so you need to create a way to mount your L track and take up that dead space. Plenty of ways to do this, I am not going to go into any detail on how I do this but you can weld in braces/steel bar, use the ADWAG kit for the top, use metal bars...mine are designed for Mule bags...light/medium duty. It does however I can say take all day to do. I will leave this to other threads on ways people do this with stock headliners. As mentioned this isn't a how to thread but explaining logic on why I choose specific features. The L track here will mount the semi rigid Mule bags as well as can be a mounting point for fork mounts, surf rack, or clips/hoops for light duty use. If you want to hang a bed or hammock you will need to weld in steel bar where you have the L Track.

I set this van up to have two bags in rear and one in front on the drivers side. Three total. With these bags that will be easily removable and the Decked storage system this van will have a lot of storage...making it a bit easier to find space for 4 to sleep in the van. A pop top would be ideal, but I am focusing on an economical solution/set up here for a family of 4.

Oh yeh, the smudges on the headliner...un-avoidable and it wasn't like this van was clean in anyway when I bought it. In fact is was stupid dirty. I don't think the owner cleaned it more than once a year...the inside. Don't freak out, upholstery cleaner from your auto store easily cleans these up as well as any water spots by the way if you had a water leak. Yeh, this will get all cleaned up once I finish with the headliner. Finishing this part of the build is a huge turning point in the interior...electrical 80% done, L track done, upper insulation done, it almost looks like a van again. Also its about 70% cooler in the heat wave we have been having as I am working on this van in the daytime sun. It was crazy hot before I got the insulation on the roof. Could have cooked an egg on the roof, now its just slightly warm.

View attachment 118769

View attachment 118770

View attachment 118771

View attachment 118772
Thanks for the great write up. I have a question regarding the L-track on the headliner. did you use brackets that bridge the distance between the crossmembers (similar to adventure wagon) or where attachments to the cross members alone sufficient?

thank you very much

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
Need a sink or a kitchenette that is plug in play for your weekender...I now have a solution that would easily work in this van or any other requiring no assembly. Fits my weekender keep it simple type builds.

set1.jpg

open kitchenette sink.jpg

blacksink2.jpg

blacksink1.jpg

power hook up.jpg

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
Sink Option for weekender, shows how compact the sink is. 27" high X 12" deep x 24" wide. Kitchenette is 27" high X 16" deep x 29" wide. Just an option to convert this more into a full self contained camper...super easy for only a few thousand.

sink behind driver seat.jpg

sink behind seat3.jpg

sink behind seat2.jpg

Top Bottom