increasing braking power

Alphacarina

2006 Itasca Navion 23H
What specifically do you find lacking? Our 2006 Navion 24H has very good brakes, but then I never really stress them that much. I leave a couple extra car lengths between me and the guy in front because I'm driving a much heavier vehicle than he is and I don't want to have to hit the brakes so hard when the time comes . . . . and then, I rarely go much faster than 65 - I bought it as a leisure time stress reliever and driving fast on crowded roads doesn't fit either of those categories. We don't have lots of hills around here like I assume you do, but I use engine braking to avoid riding the brakes (and heating them up which causes brake fade) whenever I find I'm needing to keep my foot on the pedal for longer than just a few seconds

The Sprinter chassis has huge rear brakes, larger than the fronts. I would not say it's under braked at all. If you're overloaded and riding the brakes going down hills and you're experiencing fade, maybe you could upgrade to a high performance set of pads when you need to change them

Don

D

Deleted member 50714

Hi everyone,
Has anyone upgraded their braking system? I have a 2015 Navion, 24J. Is it even possible?

Thanks.
The brakes on your Mercedes are more than sufficient, resist the urge to make 'Improvements" of dubious benefit. Use only genuine MB brake parts.

What specifically do you find lacking? Our 2006 Navion 24H has very good brakes, but then I never really stress them that much. I leave a couple extra car lengths between me and the guy in front because I'm driving a much heavier vehicle than he is and I don't want to have to hit the brakes so hard when the time comes . . . . and then, I rarely go much faster than 65 - I bought it as a leisure time stress reliever and driving fast on crowded roads doesn't fit either of those categories. We don't have lots of hills around here like I assume you do, but I use engine braking to avoid riding the brakes (and heating them up which causes brake fade) whenever I find I'm needing to keep my foot on the pedal for longer than just a few seconds

The Sprinter chassis has huge rear brakes, larger than the fronts. I would not say it's under braked at all. If you're overloaded and riding the brakes going down hills and you're experiencing fade, maybe you could upgrade to a high performance set of pads when you need to change them

Don
Hi Don,
I find the brakes are sufficient. I was just wondering if there are possibilities of improvements. I do down shift whenever possible, but the results are insignificant.

Thanks

Michael

billbo

Hi Don,
I find the brakes are sufficient. I was just wondering if there are possibilities of improvements. I do down shift whenever possible, but the results are insignificant.

Thanks

Michael
The results of downshifting a Sprinter are insignificant, yes, and you can't change that. The valves on the Sprinter preclude adding anything like an exhaust brake and apparently they can't handle a turbo brake either since I've never heard of it. The only thing you get on the Sprinter is slight engine drag, barely perceptible going downhill. They climb like a billy goat and drop like a rock off a cliff. Travel light as possible. I don't know about the new 7 speed tranny, waiting to hear reports. Once again Lichtsinn is posting some strange things about "grade braking 7 sp transmission". Grade braking is possible but I will wait until I drive one to comment. I would guess it is a lot like their video showing three days and nights of operating the stock DE0061 compressor fridge with OEM group 24 batteries which had 75AH each and two dinky 100 watt solar panels. On the morning of the 4th day - dead soup - unlikely any OEM early 18V24D ever could do that in "real life".

Yes you get more friction by downshifting a Sprinter but if you have driven a diesel a lot you know they have full air flow, there just is no compression to ride down on without an engine brake, exhaust or turbo brake. I miss the DP we had because that dual turbo with turbo braking let me just walk down hills and never touch the air brakes.

Not so sure about air in the brake system but here where I live I have the fluid purged and replaced every 3 years because brake fluid absorbs moisture. If I get obsessed I have it changed every 2 years but we frequently get humidity in 90+ percent. Today and yesterday it's been around 100% - rain continuously.

Last edited:

CB1945

Hi Don,

Thanks

Michael
Going from a DP with air brakes and exhaust brake took some getting used to but I use 3rd & 4th gear a lot (think Hwy 1 east of Revelstoke thru Golden to the border). Since I also pull our CRV most of the time I'm restricted to 100-110 KPH and typically 90-100. The toad also has Aux Braking so that helps.
But overall, with a little planning and not being in a hurry I've found the Sprinter brakes more than adequate. As another post mentioned, I would not consider some aftermarket system for my rig.

Hooligan2

Sprinter brakes may normally appear soft or "long travel"... An easy check -- with engine off, pump the brake pedal to exhaust boost and if the pedal is firm and not spongy they are fine and do not need bleeding...
Sprinter has BAS "Braking Assist System" With a rapid application of brake pedal this system will apply additional braking force to aid in stopping. Works with ABS to decrease stopping distance. Described in operator manual under BAS..

FWIW- I find there is a noticeable effect from downshifting the Sprinter on mountain downgrades. Certainly not like an exhaust brake (as on previous 36ft Diesel pusher) but worthwhile.

Last edited:

showkey

My complaint is the pedal is long travel unless I double pump.
Then you most likely have air in the system and it requires bleeding.

When was you brake fluid last changed?

Keith.

There are dozens posts on the long travel , double pump trick.............most end with it’s a characteristic.

Mine did it since new.......with several bleed sequences and fluid flushes.

If your daily driver has a “tight pedal” it’s very noticeable. Others might never notice.......

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
There are dozens posts on the long travel , double pump trick.............most end with it’s a characteristic.

Mine did it since new.......with several bleed sequences and fluid flushes.

If your daily driver has a “tight pedal” it’s very noticeable. Others might never notice.......
Well 'Wine Country' never came back answered so we may never know?

Keith.

Wine Country

I have had the double pump from new. Mercedes of Lynnwood WA said it was OK. In Oct 2017 at the second year I had the brakes flushed by Lynnwood.

hotfudge

2015.5 Unity TB
I have had the double pump from new. Mercedes of Lynnwood WA said it was OK. In Oct 2017 at the second year I had the brakes flushed by Lynnwood.
But did that resolve the issue? I've been double pumping since new as well. M-B dealer says everything is fine. Have not flushed or bled the brakes.

showkey

But did that resolve the issue? I've been double pumping since new as well. M-B dealer says everything is fine. Have not flushed or bled the brakes.
That’s the “characteristic” explanation :hmmm: ...........so the guess would be no resolution.

Maybe it’s hidden safety feature ..........waking up drivers in the rear witha brake light flash.

Last edited:

Wine Country

Let me be clear. The brake has a long travel unless you double pump. It is not soft when you push it long I just learn to double pump.

billbo

Our '06 Sprinter had the same sensation brake pedal as our '18 View. Until you realize it just works that way it feels soft. If you hit it hard it will surprise you but so far I just accept it as normal for these rigs.

Hooligan2

Sprinter brakes may normally appear soft or "long travel"... An easy check -- with engine off, pump the brake pedal to bleed boost and if the pedal is then firm and not spongy they are fine and do not need bleeding...
Above info was from Christopher Trucks (Freightliner/Sprinter) shop in Greenville, SC. Long brake pedal travel is normal in the Sprinter van. A sharper response with rapid pedal application is also normal. BAS

Top Bottom