MAF

Forest

I'm in Paso Robles about 200 miles from home and my 06 threw a MAF sensor code. It is running fine and not overheating. What are the chances of making it home? I will be leaving Sunday morning.

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
1. When was T21 Recall done? MAF may be covered by the T21 Recall.

If not done, might be worth a trip a bit south from Paso Robles to Cole Chrysler Dodge in San Luis Obispo--MAF code might be covered by recall?

2. You've been in contact before with Vanski so could touch bases with him before you leave re code as well as possible emergency help along your way home.

Please keep us posted. Thanks.

Forest

More info. The vehicle is an 2006 Winnebago View. 106 K so not covered under any warranty. I only have a scan gauge so limited info from there. It is reading PO101. I had stopped day before yesterday to spend the night. when I started it next the code came up. I live on a dirt road so i removed the air filter and knocked it out ( not too bad) and reinstalled. I drove about 80 miles from Mercey Hot Springs to Paso Robles on Hwy 5 to our family reunion. The truck ran great with no power loss or overheating and most of the way in cruise control.

Forest

Are there any other local mechanics recommended in the area I can call to see if I can get a diagnosis today or tomorrow?

... What are the chances of making it home? I will be leaving Sunday morning.
Of course there are no guarantees.

In your situation, with no operating problems/symptoms other than the MIL aka CEL, assuming that you have a known good repair option at home base, I would just plan to drive it home.

The MIL is triggered to warn about emissions control problems which may not be obvious because there are not always symptoms. The ECM aka ECU is programmed to default to set values if a sensor problem is noticed. If no operating problems are noticed driving a couple hundred miles is probably no problem. The MIL may even self clear after a number of completed run cycles.

Just an opinion from some guy on the internet.

:2cents: vic:2cents:

Are there any other local mechanics recommended in the area I can call to see if I can get a diagnosis today or tomorrow?
Anyone who refers to themselves as a "mechanic" in the year 2019, probably isn't one. Vehicle repair technicians have been referred to as technicians for well over 30 years.

Forest

Thank you Vic ( Aqua Putanna). That makes me worry less. I will head home and call vanski.

The Grand Tour... well I am an old guy but I am sure I can retrain myself to say technician.

Zundfolge

Always learning...
Forest save yourself some headache and don't bother responding to The Grand Troll. He doesn't aim to help, just start fires and repeat unhelpful rhetoric. There are plenty of us on here who actually do want to help. Basically..........everyone else

rjc3

How about cleaning the MAF sensor with MAF sensor cleaner. CRC has one and I would guess there are other brands also.

Not that anyone asked...

If all is running well... 200 miles to home... I wouldn't muck with anything. Cleaning the MAF by spritzing some stuff around doesn't have much risk, but there can always be that time when things go wrong.

Adding to that, cleaning an MAF gets mixed results. It doesn't always improve things.

:2cents: vic

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
I call myself a Sprinter Mechanic. Seems to be working fine for me.
That being said,
1.if you aren't in Limp Mode, then Id say go on home.
2. The MAF and the EGR valve are very closely related in the ECU. I don't often see bad MAFs, but I do often see bad EGR valves and sometimes those bad EGR valves begin with MAF error codes. Just something to be aware of before you throw money away on a new MAF.

D

Deleted member 50714

Of course there are no guarantees.

In your situation, with no operating problems/symptoms other than the MIL aka CEL, assuming that you have a known good repair option at home base, I would just plan to drive it home.

The MIL is triggered to warn about emissions control problems which may not be obvious because there are not always symptoms. The ECM aka ECU is programmed to default to set values if a sensor problem is noticed. If no operating problems are noticed driving a couple hundred miles is probably no problem. The MIL may even self clear after a number of completed run cycles.

Just an opinion from some guy on the internet.

:2cents: vic:2cents:
"
Not "Opinion", all facts by one of the forum's most knowledgeable Sprinter owner's, and all supported by reams of manufacture's information.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 50714

I replaced the air filter and cleaned the MAF sensor with cleaning fluid and still no change. The truck is actually running very well.
I have an appointment at a shop on Tuesday but I'm debating whether to take into the shop or buy a iCarsoft scanner. does anyone here use one of these? Would it help n=me diagnose this problem?
https://smile.amazon.com/iCarsoft-Mercedes-Spr…/…/B015DNAMT2.
Air filter brand is important as aftermarket filter have been reported to collapse during operation. Hengst and Mann are the choice of professionals.

Also, don't apply air-filter conditioning sprays as residues will contaminate the MAF sensor.

I would resist the temptation to Sprint to dealership to make a $deposit$. Absence any discernible performance issues, continue to drive and, as Vic explained, On-Board "DIAGNOSTICS" (OBD) may extinguish the CEL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forest

I used an aftermarket to replace the air filter.... the one I had in there was a mann from europarts. I will replace it in a few thousand mile at 110K. I have an appointment at a local shop ( not dealership) that I just asking to read the codes and diagnose for me. I have put around 300 miles on it now and if I clear the light it comes back on after the next start. I does, however, still run like a top.

Forest

Well I took it to a local shop and he said said it was the MAF so I ordered one from EuropartsSd. Installed it last night and ...... same code. Next step is to find out exactly what he did to determine that it was the MAF. I am also considering ordering a parts kit from Million Mile Sprinter ( I got a Crankshaft position sensor code this winter that eventually cleared itself so I would like to have those parts around) and a couple from Europarts and contacting Vanski to see if he can help.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Well I took it to a local shop and he said said it was the MAF so...
...I threw more unnecessary parts at it!

Sounds like it is time to get your own code reader and learn how to read the Sprinters own fault code language.

There are several good recommendations on the scanner sub-forum.

Keith.

Top Bottom