Aftermarket Suspension Options - whats your experience?

Ed463

Well the difference is night and day. Far exceeding my expectations.
The genuine Mercedes dampers which have done maybe 30k miles I can compress fully in seconds. Absolute junk,probably junk from day one but they are just van dampers at the end of the day. I had to use a jack to compress the Fox dampers to fit them. Which intuitively would suggest a harsh ride. But not at all, very controlled, planted and plush.
Very pleased:thumbup:
Proper test early next year, Africa:)

Last edited:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
I just can't get over how little low speed damping MB uses on the struts! Its not like its a light duty unit, its got a 7/8+ shaft!

I have over 60k miles on my fox 2.0 units. I got a rock chip in the shaft, which killed one of my rear seals (5k miles of dirt in aus...). Anyways, I replaced the seal on my bench. Everything else in the unit was in great shape. Had I not chipped the shaft, they would have done another 60k miles I think.

Last edited:
mine is done, Keenan Mercedes did a great job on the install, and the guys at Van Compass were super cool as well. we immediately put the van thru its paces, 8.5 hours of driving today, including a bunch of off roading/dirt roading at Hickory Run State Park in PA, together with interstate highways, and everything in between. the Fox shocks make a huge difference, on road and off. definitely worth the upgrade. it drives like a luxury full size SUV, now. somewhat baffling that it does not come that way from the factory, at least the 4x4 should. I highly recommend the Van Compass package and I highly recommend Keenan Mercedes in Doylestown, PA, for the install (or anything really). it was their maiden voyage for sure on installing the Van Compass add-a-shock front kit, but they delivered, everything looks great, and drives like a completely different vehicle.

the photos are nothing you all haven’t seen before, but here they are. we did go for the Fox shocks in the rear as well, of course (not pictured).

What stage kit did you get?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

onejaykay

I thought I was settled on the VC stage 3 package, but now I am second guessing based on more research.

I have already purchased the KONI front struts (they are on the way!), but now I am considering the AG Offroad Max Front Shocks, AG rear shocks and AG rear leaf springs instead.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Fitz2

It seems to me you are second-guessing the sound experience-based engineering design that Van Compass offers and that has been proven time and time again.
Reminder, if you plan to use your van off road you will want the front sway bar disconnect that VC offers and that is compatible with their front shock kit.

onejaykay

It seems to me you are second-guessing the sound experience-based engineering design that Van Compass offers and that has been proven time and time again.
Reminder, if you plan to use your van off road you will want the front sway bar disconnect that VC offers and that is compatible with their front shock kit.
Fitz2, thanks for the reply. I do feel they have the best design, I am undecided about the leaf add on vs. rear shocks alone. What package did you add to your van? Your experience?

Thanks!

Fitz2

I am a satisfied customer (41k on my 2016 2500 4wd) running the Van Compass Stage 6 kit, plus I recently installed the front sway bar disconnect kit. The van is currently fitted with 265/70/17's, I will soon be upsizing to 285/70/17's. I also have the full skid plate package, and am thankful they are there every time one of the plates gets used.

Desertbound

Fitz2, thanks for the reply. I do feel they have the best design, I am undecided about the leaf add on vs. rear shocks alone. What package did you add to your van? Your experience?

Thanks!

It really comes down to weight. Is your build out finished? If so, much does your van weigh?

-Rob @ VC

OffroadHamster

Just rolled back in after just shy of 3000 miles on VC's latest shock tune for the fronts. We were rolling heavy, with bikes off the rear and food for two extra people who were caravanning along behind us. CAT scale pinned me at 8714 lbs with a full tank of Diesel. I had the backs cranked up to maximum. Even with absurd wind through some of the Utah desert the van was planted and pleasant to drive.

Thanks Marc for getting shocks back to me so quick and in time for out trip. The van would have been a nightmare with so much weight wind and mileage without them.

Someday I am going to get my VC light pod mounts installed!

onejaykay

It really comes down to weight. Is your build out finished? If so, much does your van weigh?

-Rob @ VC

Hey Rob, our build is standard - like a passenger van with extras. We don’t really have any heavy weight in the rear. So to start, we ordered front and rear VC shocks and Mark has been totally awesome so far!! Can’t wait to get everything installed and will provide full updates here.

Thanks VC and Mark!!

niknas

Now that my Sprinter drivetrain has been taken care of I want to improve the ride quality. I am set on the Van Compass system. I am thinking the spring pack, rear shocks and with the front Sumo springs will meet my needs. I could be talked into the full Stage Three package. My dilemma is this. Van Compass is no longer doing installs. I was ready to make the drive.

I need find a local installer. I live in the Hood River area and I haven't found anyone to do this. I really want to deal with a shop that deals that has a lot of Sprinter experience. I am tempted to do the work myself. So my first question is this. Who to go to in the Portland area? Or maybe I should I try the install myself? If I do the work myself I won't do the front shocks. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Ed463

Now that my Sprinter drivetrain has been taken care of I want to improve the ride quality. I am set on the Van Compass system. I am thinking the spring pack, rear shocks and with the front Sumo springs will meet my needs. I could be talked into the full Stage Three package. My dilemma is this. Van Compass is no longer doing installs. I was ready to make the drive.

I need find a local installer. I live in the Hood River area and I haven't found anyone to do this. I really want to deal with a shop that deals that has a lot of Sprinter experience. I am tempted to do the work myself. So my first question is this. Who to go to in the Portland area? Or maybe I should I try the install myself? If I do the work myself I won't do the front shocks. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
It's not a highly technical or complex job, the instructions and components that VC supply are excellent. Basically nut and bolts to fit it. If you're uncertain the only concern to me would be the safety aspect. The van needs to be correctly supported whilst you carry out the work.
Failing that you don't need a Sprinter expert, any trustworthy garage can carry out the work.

OffroadHamster

Thanks,
How much wrenching experience do you have? The backs are cut and dry. So are the Sumo's. Front lower mounts are cut and dry, the tops have a bolt that is hard to get at from the back side without a decent set of tools but is doable. The instructions are clear and easy to follow. The front shocks are cake once the mounts are in.

All this said, any suspension shop/4x4 shop/alignment shop should be able to do this. Bring them the instructions and your van and let them quote it. I would guess 3-6 hours of labor for a shop, though it should really only take 2 hours if you have a lift, air tools etc.

niknas

It's not a highly technical or complex job, the instructions and components that VC supply are excellent. Basically nut and bolts to fit it. If you're uncertain the only concern to me would be the safety aspect. The van needs to be correctly supported whilst you carry out the work.
Failing that you don't need a Sprinter expert, any trustworthy garage can carry out the work.
It’s the safety issue. Dropping the axle on a 8000# vehicle suspended by two points kinda freaks me out.

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
Just some FYI for those that may have remote reservoir Fox shocks... while working underneath I noticed rub marks on the "Fox" decal... I felt the brake line and there was a big wear area where it had been rubbing on the shock body...
Wire loom fixed it but if you have them you may want to check them for yourself...

Ed463

It’s the safety issue. Dropping the axle on a 8000# vehicle suspended by two points kinda freaks me out.
Do it on totally flat and solid ground. Chock the wheels, use axle stands.
You're absolutely right to be cautious about this!!

OffroadHamster

You are not dropping the axle for the rear shocks. You can do the rears with the van sitting on the ground (I did). Use a jack to support the lower shock eye while you take the bolt out, then lower the jack and let the shock extend. Remove top bolt. To replace, install top bolt, then use the jack to compress the shock into position. Replace lower bolt. Done.

If you are changing leaf packs then yes, you have to support the body of the van to drop the axle. Support both sides of the van and pull both rear tires. Then do one leaf pack at a time, supporting the axle with a jack or stand.

THe front you can do one side at a time, lifting the van with a jack under the transfer case cradel and supporting the van on a jack stand. It gets a little crazy but can be done on even a crooked driveway like mine if you take your time (I have to ramp a rear wheel to level the van enough to not pull the whole front end at once).

Starting here, you place a single jack stand under the side you are working on. If the van is flat enough, it will drop the opposing side's tire back to the pavement. I leave the jack with a very small amount of engagement for some stability, however the van is resting on the three tires and jack stand.

Thats an 11.5" tire for height reference:

You can support the back on the two u-shaped protrusions. Need tall jack stands or some cribbing.

ALways leave your tires under the frame rail/pinch weld/unibody structure of the van. In the event you really screwed the pooch and the van slips, it will hopefully land on the tires and not crush you. YOu can see the tire on the opposite side of the van in the rear shot, there is also one on the drivers side.

Last edited:

Reishn

Replaced front bump stops with summo springs purchased from van compass. Noticeable difference in ride as a result and only took $170 and 10 min to do. Wish I would have done this when I bought the van. I also purchased the adjustable rear shock but have yet to install them. I have a ‘17 4x4 crew with a very light conversion as my daily driver.

I don’t dread the RR track crossing anymore on the way to work!

Top Bottom