Routine mechanical maintenance - renting T1N campers.

I've got 2 converted T1N sprinters that I'm renting out during the summer months up here in Canada. I know a lot of people will think it's ludicrous to rent out their beloved Sprinters, but the demand is there and I've taken steps to mitigate my risks (adequate insurance, roadside assistance..etc).

I don't have a ton of mechanical know-how, so I'd love to hear your thoughts on what maintenance I should be doing between rentals. So far each rental has been putting on about 1000 kms.

Checks between rental flips:
  • Tire pressure
  • Oil and transmission fluid level
  • Drive belt for any damage or cracking
  • Turbo hoses (what should I be looking for?)
  • Test drive to highway speed (engine lights, odd sounds)

Every 5k-10k kms:
  • Oil change
  • New engine air filter

Every 60k kms:
  • Transmission service

My alternator went on me earlier in this year and I would hate for that to happen to one of my renters. How can I check how much 'life' my alternator has in it?

I'm sure I'm missing some things. What are some other common issues that I might run into?

If anyone is interested, my company is called Curious Campervans..

I forgot to mention that I also get a mechanic to do a 'piece of mind' checkover at least twice a year to look over the usual (brakes, suspension, ball joints..etc).

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
You can pull the alternator and check the brush length on the bench. Its not technically challenging.

Turbo hoses are best replaced on a preventive schedule with rentals. Every 70k miles maybe?

Making sure engine temps are good on a steep slow climb is important. Change the coolant on schedule.

Air filters are usually good for at least 20k miles. Oil changes before 6k miles are way early for any decent oil.
I suggest checking the ECM, TCM, and ESP module for codes regularly. This may reveal an issue before it causes a fault.

You can pull the alternator and check the brush length on the bench. Its not technically challenging.

Turbo hoses are best replaced on a preventive schedule with rentals. Every 70k miles maybe?

Making sure engine temps are good on a steep slow climb is important. Change the coolant on schedule.

Air filters are usually good for at least 20k miles. Oil changes before 6k miles are way early for any decent oil.
I suggest checking the ECM, TCM, and ESP module for codes regularly. This may reveal an issue before it causes a fault.
Thanks - I've been considering getting a code reader.. sounds like it's a good idea.

I don't know if my Turbo hoses have ever been changed so it's probably best I do this now.

RJV

Thanks - I've been considering getting a code reader.. sounds like it's a good idea.
If I were you, I would get a code reader for each of the rental vans and keep the coder reader in the glove box. I would make a basic instruction sheet for the renters or for a non sprinter familiar mechanic(sorry, "technician") to have in case your van ends up needing attention on the road. At the very least, someone will be able to get a basic idea of where to start looking. The Autel AP200 is relatively inexpensive, but then you'd either need a tablet, old cell phone, or an iPod in the van to use as a controller. A better choice for you might be going with a few iCarsoft MBIIs.

I would also buy a couple cheap usb thumb drives. On each drive I would save a copy of the parts manual and service manual that corresponds to your vans(they were different each year). I would also save a copy of the MB to Dodge part number conversion sheet as well as the Dodge to MB part number conversion. Both of those can be found in the T1N Database section of this website. I would then put the corresponding thumb drive in each glove box. Again, at the very least, you're giving someone a head start on how to solve a problem.

I'd also put together a box of parts that are know to fail and cause larger issues. Million Mile Sprinter sells a basic kit, I would add a few items to it. Fuel and oil filters, a kit of the basic fuses needed, various sensors, etc.

I'd also probably buy or put together a tool kit for each van that has the basics. Each of my vans have a 140 piece set from Amazon that I purchased on the recommendation of MMS. They're no longer available on Amazon, but this is the one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DEKO-140-Pcs-Professional-Car-Repair-Tool-Set-Auto-Ratchet-Spanner-Screwdriver-Socket-Mechanics-Tools-Kit/32865891838.html

All of the things I've recommended I carry in each of my vans, at all times, and for good reason. At 13+ years old, it's a matter of when. Especially if you don't know the full history of the van, which unfortunately is the case for most of us.

Edited to add--looking again at your original post I realize this does not answer your question. Still, I would take these precautions.

Last edited:
If I were you, I would get a code reader for each of the rental vans and keep the coder reader in the glove box. I would make a basic instruction sheet for the renters or for a non sprinter familiar mechanic(sorry, "technician") to have in case your van ends up needing attention on the road. At the very least, someone will be able to get a basic idea of where to start looking. The Autel AP200 is relatively inexpensive, but then you'd either need a tablet, old cell phone, or an iPod in the van to use as a controller. A better choice for you might be going with a few iCarsoft MBIIs.

I would also buy a couple cheap usb thumb drives. On each drive I would save a copy of the parts manual and service manual that corresponds to your vans(they were different each year). I would also save a copy of the MB to Dodge part number conversion sheet as well as the Dodge to MB part number conversion. Both of those can be found in the T1N Database section of this website. I would then put the corresponding thumb drive in each glove box. Again, at the very least, you're giving someone a head start on how to solve a problem.

I'd also put together a box of parts that are know to fail and cause larger issues. Million Mile Sprinter sells a basic kit, I would add a few items to it. Fuel and oil filters, a kit of the basic fuses needed, various sensors, etc.

I'd also probably buy or put together a tool kit for each van that has the basics. Each of my vans have a 140 piece set from Amazon that I purchased on the recommendation of MMS. They're no longer available on Amazon, but this is the one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DEKO-140-Pcs-Professional-Car-Repair-Tool-Set-Auto-Ratchet-Spanner-Screwdriver-Socket-Mechanics-Tools-Kit/32865891838.html

All of the things I've recommended I carry in each of my vans, at all times, and for good reason. At 13+ years old, it's a matter of when. Especially if you don't know the full history of the van, which unfortunately is the case for most of us.

Edited to add--looking again at your original post I realize this does not answer your question. Still, I would take these precautions.
Thanks and great advice. I just ordered an AP200 to try out.

Going to save the service/parts/owners manuals on thumb drives. One of my vans is a 2000 Mercedes Sprinter that was brought over from Germany. I don't see any of the specific manuals for that van in this database..

The emergency and tool kits are a great suggestion as well. I will look into buying those.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The 2000 and the 2003 (for which there is a manual) are fairly close... unless yours has a different engine (than the OM612) and transmission (than the 5-speed automatic NAG1).

This is the zipped "kit" of 2003 manuals: http://www.diysprinter.co.uk/reference/2003SprinterManuals.zip

In Europe there was a 3rd party -printed service manual for a wide range of Sprinters.

Periodically someone posts to this group a service manual for an older bunch of Sprinters (i think), but i can't find it at the moment.

--dick

Last edited:

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
Check prices at your local MB parts counter for the turbo hoses (and other parts).
I just paid CAD$140 (US$106) for the “cold side” hoses, which isn’t much of a premium after exchange, shipping, border brokerage fees, and duty. Europarts-SD are great, but the border can be a drag...

-dave

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
FWIW I’m in the middle of a vacation in Cape Breton, I had this van in the Rockies a few years ago and it performed well Re not overheating etc on long climbs. It is doing well on this trip as well but I’m pretty sure it is because I baby it on the big climbs (to my surprise the climbs here are steeper (but less long) than what I drove out west). So I would be concerned especially with an older van, that a renter might just mash it and climb hard, I know I have done that with rental vans in BC (but new non diesels seem to stay steady re temp on most climbs). Maybe I’m just too gentle with my van, but it is my work van as well, and I am a low overhead guy.

Nautamaran

Agreed. Cape Breton has some challenging hills (you should see ‘em with SNOW! ;-)

Rental vehicles have it tough as clients’ schedules are often tight, so they’ll want to drive.
I’m a fan of cooling system maintenance, especially the viscous clutch and low coolant sensor.
Printing a cheat-sheet of the dash lamps may be valuable... having a client ignore the “Low Coolant”, “High Oil”, or “Water in Fuel” lamps could be EXPENSIVE!

-dave

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
Sure would be nice, perhaps profitable, if someone could build a data logger to track various metrics.. fully disclose to renters the technology exists and have a contractual agreement that if certain threshholds are exceeded and damage occurs, they are liable completely or at the very least a deposit is forfeited.

Metromile type tech comes to mind..

Nautamaran

Winter project: add logging to my Arduino based dashboard display (see calbiker’s thread: Cracking the K-Line).
Cal has his version running, if slowly (his SD writes take forever...!?) The LCD I’m using already has a microSD slot, I “just” need to add in a real-time clock for timestamps and add a logging loop.

-dave

Attachments

vanski

I’ve been following that thread on and off.. great/amazing stuff!

how much time of data (over mileage?) could someone review? Would it be possible to flag certain data ‘events’? Applicable to this thread, a method to send both the rental owner and the renter a report sure would provide a ton of value..

I never thought I’d be advocating a big brother approach, but if it keeps a renter from blowing the motor, lots of value!

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
There are OBDII loggers with cell data, some likely with just wifi. The issue is that some poorly designed ones can damage non OBDII compliant vehicles (like sprinters), so testing is required.

vanski

The only way I would consider a business like this with T1Ns, or to rent any of my T1Ns out on sites like outdoorsy, is if I had a data logging service with reporting capabilities to keep the renters in check and perhaps have recourse if they aren’t driving within an agreed and contractual manner.

Going 65, or even 60mph, up the grade to Tahoe on a hot day here in Ca can kill these motors quickly.

Nautamaran

With all of the conditions that trigger some sort of limp mode, I find it surprising that MB didn’t put in logic to prevent the operator overheating the engine, or if it’s in there, trigger it early enough to save the head warping or injector seals being compromised (both rumoured side effects of overheat events).

Climbing a steep grade certainly taxes the heat rejection, especially in hot, arid conditions. Without getting too deep into the weeds on this thread, is there a way to fool the ECM into reducing power by say, 25% ?? Unplugging the EGR, simulating a bit of over-boost, etc? Just enough to cool things down without getting rear ended, and of course without damaging the engine.

You could monitor the coolant’s rate-of-rise and trigger a warning, followed by an audible alarm somewhere north of 105’C/225’F ? Then make it REALLY annoying (chimes, buzzers, heater blowing hot?) to maintain a high LOD if the temp keeps rising. It would take a bit of coding, but it’s very doable.

-dave

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
This is interesting , I know highway coaches from the 70s- 80s had shutdown modes when oil pressure was too low but don’t remember them doing that for overtemp. The shutdown function was excessive and problematic as it would strand coaches in the middle of the road, obviously with modern tech limp and extreme limp are better options. Seems like a lot of work to set this up for a few rental vans but possibly there are stand alone systems that can do this already. Of course adding the extra complexity can add unreliability as accidental unwarranted limp mode would be very inconvenient .

Top Bottom