Road trip preparation, what spares/tools to take?

bennrr

Hey all,

Just joined the forum, as I've bought a 2001 311 panel van, converted it to a camper and am setting off to Portugal for 6 weeks with the family. It's been serviced, new filters, oil etc and four new tyres as it had sat for a while. It passed it's MOT, and there's the usual corrosion on it but it seems to run pretty well. It's done 120k miles.

My question is what should I take with me to handle any common issues these vans have?

Cheers!

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Your 2001 T1N will have the 'older' style of vacuum operated turbo boost control so my suggestion would be a spare solenoid, or 'Pressure Transducer' in MB speak.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67865

Keith.

Edit to add: Do you have a good Sprinter specific scanner (NOT a generic OBD code reader)? If not have a read through the Scanners sub forum. I use an Autel MD802 with good results.

Last edited:

bennrr

Thanks, I'll pick a solenoid up.

I don't have a scanner, this is my first sprinter so am looking to pick up up knowledge where I can and will have a look at the thread.

bennrr

The Midlands, ferry from Poole to Cherbourg, down through France and Spain without many stops (hopefully) and cruise down the west coast of Portgual.

I did a similar trip last year in my old VW T3 and a faulty temperature gauge meant that the water was boiling away in the back before I realised what was happening and the water pump went kaput. That was day 2 of a 5 week trip. I've since seen sense and bought something sensible.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
The Midlands...
The Midlands as in the central area of the UK for those not familiar with the location!

(Benrr - Just to clarify, most forum members are in the USA with a spattering of others worldwide).

Keith.

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
Get the Autel AP200 and Autel MB-14 adapter for the round sprinter plug. That is currently the cheapest setup available new and it does work with your ROW T1N.

As for spares, you will want to take things that can leave you totally stranded. A boost transducer will put you in limp mode, it won't stop you from starting or running (although a bit slow up hills).

My absolutely must have things I take are:
  1. Sprinter capable scanner.
  2. cam sensor.
  3. crank sensor.
  4. Fan belt.
  5. Simple tools to replace these.

Either of those 2 sensors will leave you dead in the water. And you really shouldn't drive with no fan belt even though it won't technically leave you stranded like the other two. Any of these can be easily replaced at the side of the road within 30 mins using basic tools. Don't ask how I know that.

I also take an injector and bolt/washer, and some fuel hose if I need to bypass anything. But I wouldn't consider those must haves. The injector is mainly so that I don't get rheemed if I have one die in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited:

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
I travel with
a decent socket set (plus male and female Torx set)
a bunch of wobble extensions etc..
good scanner
multimeter,
lectric tape,
metal tape,
one jack stand (stowed deep, I do not want to use it)
a set of 1/2 in drive larger sockets (also stowed deep)
Jumper cables
12v air pump,
tie wraps
jug oil and coolant ( not sure why my van uses neither)
18V drill, impact driver, flashlight kit (speeds up disassembly, it is work equipment I already have
I would not suggest buying if u don’t already have it)
Needle nose pliers
Vice grips
Olfa knife
Leatherman (mostly used for making sandwiches)
I think that is it, I discovered of course (through this forum) that I should of had JB weld on board as well.
All very fresh in my head as I am 1 week into a 3 1/2 week road trip.
Unfortunately 2 small repairs in as well, so my hands look full on grease monkey, which I don’t enjoy, I like to clean up on holiday (about the only time I can).
Next trip:
nail brush and nitrile throw away gloves.
Final thought, see if your lug wrench can loosen all the wheel bolts, if it can’t get something that can.
I use a 1/2 drive deep socket and a 1/2 drive breaker bar that I stow in the bottle jack compartment.
Also see if the spare tire hanger can actually release your spare wheel and also that the spare is properly inflated.
That spare wheel hanger seizes up if not properly maintained and getting the wheel out will be well neigh impossible
/very lengthy curse laden experience if attempted on the side of the road if it is seized.
Happy travels.

bennrr

Thanks for the replies, I now have a decent shopping list that I hope to never use...

(Benrr - Just to clarify, most forum members are in the USA with a spattering of others worldwide).
Ah yes, some of the posts make much more sense now!

Get the Autel AP200 and Autel MB-14 adapter for the round sprinter plug. That is currently the cheapest setup available new and it does work with your ROW T1N
I think I might have left this a bit late, we go on Sunday and I don't seem to be able to find the adapter in the UK, just china and the US, I'll see if I can beg/borrow one for the time being... If I don't manage to get one, does that mean I'm not going to know if the cam/crankshaft sensor is gone, it'll just be dead and I'll be scratching my head on the side of the road?

nail brush and nitrile throw away gloves.

Also see if the spare tire hanger can actually release your spare wheel and also that the spare is properly inflated.
Both excellent points. I did take the spare wheel off because it was wrecked and I basically ended up twisting the hooks off instead of loosening the nuts, they are totally corroded on so that 's a job for when I get back. My solution to get it off at the side of the road is to jack the carrier up slightly and twist off the hook with a big wrench. It's worked so far.

Thanks again!

Either of those 2 sensors will leave you dead in the water. And you really shouldn't drive with no fan belt even though it won't technically leave you stranded like the other two. Any of these can be easily replaced at the side of the road within 30 mins using basic tools. Don't ask how I know that.
I carry those sensors.

The proper mode would be to swap in the new parts and carry the removed in service parts as spares.

A few reasons.
It verifies the replacements as correct and working.
You will then know what is needed and how to change the parts.
Removed fasteners can be greased for next removal.
The crank sensor has history of corroding and being difficult to remove. Prior change out allows that to be greased before installation.

:2cents: vic

B

billintomahawk

A transmission dip stick is nice, especially for peace of mind or ruling out a problem.

bill in tomahawk

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
There are cables on eBay for $5 or so.
Yes, BUT all the 'cheap' cables have only four pins populated so can only access the engine ECU. These AliExpress cables have ALL pins populated so are far more useful.

This is a technical drawing for a 'cheap' cable'...

14 Pin MB to 16 Pin OBD Cable.jpg

Keith.

bennrr

That diagram is pretty interesting, maybe I can bodge my own cable if all else fails. As an aside, I spotted one of these scanners today, any good for the sprinter (providing I had an adapter)? They are pretty cheap!

Top Bottom