fiberglass honeycomb boards for bed slats

The trunk is under my sleeping area.
I would like recessed handles in 3/4 or so light weight boards
that I could easily arrange to access the trunk.
The stock board (2pc) is a bear.

GSWatson

2013 144
Go with 8 inch pine boards; they have some give so it makes the bed more comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
You may have better luck finding foam cored composite panels. You can make your own with 5mm plywood and good adhesive on a foam core.

You may have better luck finding foam cored composite panels. You can make your own with 5mm plywood and good adhesive on a foam core.
They will be 68 x 12 or less.
Would that be strong enough? I am single now but with a stout woman? Lol.
How would you form a recessed handle?

Thank you.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
You obviously need to pick the right materials and thickness, but it would be plenty strong. Worst case you need to bond an aluminum edge on side.

Another option is hollow core flat doors. They have a cardboard honeycomb inside, and are quite strong.

A recessed handle could be routed out, or you could use a through-cut to attach various designs. Over on the expedition portal website there are a couple threads about folks building their own composite panels fro truck bed campers and similar.

You obviously need to pick the right materials and thickness, but it would be plenty strong. Worst case you need to bond an aluminum edge on side.

Another option is hollow core flat doors. They have a cardboard honeycomb inside, and are quite strong.

A recessed handle could be routed out, or you could use a through-cut to attach various designs. Over on the expedition portal website there are a couple threads about folks building their own composite panels fro truck bed campers and similar.
68 span ,unsupported. At least at rear of battery support risers
Thanks

rollerbearing

Ditto on the hollow core doors. They are plenty strong and very light. One thing you need to watch out for though is excess knee pressure - the panel surfaces are thin enough that your knee can make a dent and crack through the wood. A layer of closed cell foam or interlocking foam floor matts solves this and makes an underlayer for a softer foam mattress.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
If I were to need the thinnest & lightest per thickness for an unsupported span and a single piece: 7075 aluminum sheet. :thumbup:

Wheeljack

I used hollow slab doors over IKEA SKORVA cross members. Almost 3 years and still holding up just fine. This is a super light, super cheap, and super easy to remove setup. This, along with my aluminum quick frame and coroplast galley, and factory 2 seater is a super light, fully convertible to empty cargo in under 15 minutes. For some reason, the forum has rotated my pictures and I'm not sure how to fix them.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60475

Attachments

Last edited:
I used hollow slab doors over IKEA SKORVA cross members. Almost 3 years and still holding up just fine. This is a super light, super cheap, and super easy to remove setup. This, along with my aluminum quick frame and coroplast galley, and factory 2 seater is a super light, fully convertible to empty cargo in under 15 minutes. For some reason, the forum has rotated my pictures and I'm not sure how to fix them.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60475
68 inches unsupported

Here is what I want in .75

Attachments

Top Bottom