7 killed in motorcycle collision in New Hampshire

D

Deleted member 50714

The excitement of motorcycles, A folly of youth, has long since passed. I have zero desire to suffer a lifelong debilitating injury or death as the result of Becky's BBF texting. Last thing I need is a broken hip.

glasseye

The excitement of motorcycles, A folly of youth, has long since passed...
Actually, Nox, the excitement factor quickly disappears with experience.

Racing excluded, mostly, it's about the smells. :thumbup:

And, yes. Canada has a space program.

And astronauts. Quite a few, actually. :rad:

Sort of.

The "excitement" (in the form of fear) that comes from getting in over your head, diminishes as a rider's skill level improves. The threshold at which the circumstances trigger appropriate fear responses, moves higher and higher as a rider's skill level increases. The actual enjoyment of riding, also increases as a rider's skill level increases.

I try to avoid using the word "experience" in that context, because experience merely indicates the passage of time- experience does not directly correlate to any particular level of skill.

The late Peter Lenz had a great deal of skill, after only riding for a few years. In the following video, Peter is on a 22-horsepower motorcycle with a top speed of only 90 mph. He is being filmed by the track record holder on a four-cylinder Supersport, who repeatedly spins up the rear tire trying to keep up with Peter (at 3:09 and again at 4:07 into the video). Peter made over 300 passes this day, mostly against 600, 750, and 1000 class sporting motorcycles, and he was on tires that had been torched for over 400 laps. I like the part at the end, where he gets a tow from one of the riding coaches, and immediately starts plotting a solution around him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU6xrs7SOCc

I was always impressed by Peter's maturity as a racer. His ability to assess in three dimensions, and to plot and execute passes, was truly impressive. He would have been the next Valentino Rossi.

But at the other end of the spectrum, a lot of motorcyclists on Harleys have never learned how to ride- once they managed to figure out through trial and error how to operate the clutch well enough to get the motorcycle rolling without stalling the engine, they just stopped learning. They mistake the passage of time as a progression of their skill level, when in reality what is really happening is simply that they are getting more and more comfortable with not knowing how to ride. Those are the guys that when they are told that they don't know how to ride, get all butt-hurt and angrily respond by claiming that they've been "riding" for 50 years or whatever.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 50714

It's the RUSSIANS!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 50714

I think I said that.

Racing excluded, mostly, it's about the smells. :thumbup:

And, yes. Canada has a space program.

And astronauts. Quite a few, actually. :rad:
And there I was...motoring west on Malibu Canyon toward, where else, Malibu, wearing nothing more than sunglasses, shorts and sandals, no job, no worries. Along the way, always vigilant for the elusive migrating Pink Breasted Matteress thrashers thumbing a ride.

Man, the tragedy of youth is it is wasted on the young.

Two pillion riders have fallen asleep on the back of my motorcycles. I take that as the supreme compliment.
At the same time? Wow! :thumbup:

My wife used to sleep on the back of my Hayabusa. We railed the PCH from Leggett down to Monterey on our honeymoon, and she slept much of the way on the back.

Garandman

I do...[ticket Harleys]
And when you’ve been stopped for speeding, do you flash your badge to get out of the ticket? Just kidding, another rhetorical question.

Camping at a track as I read all this. Apparently I should be riding with Sprinter forum’s anonymous ultra-super-expert riders rather than racers actually at a track.

Nothing further of substance has been released about the actual crash.

New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft donated $100,000 to the family support fund. As this thread purports to be about the crash and aftermath, I’ll repost the link. The goal is $700,000.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/jarheads-mc-victims-and-families-support

Last edited:

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182

Camping at a track as I read all this. Apparently I should be riding with Sprinter forum’s anonymous ultra-super-expert riders rather than racers actually at a track.
Nothing further of substance has been released about the actual crash.

D

Deleted member 50714

No, I do not "badge" officers- that would be a really tacky thing to do.
The last thing I want to do is exhibit any attitude of entitlement for special treatment.

The last time, 15-years ago, while still employed, I got pulled over for speeding, 62 in 55. As the patrolman was approaching my window, I stuck me hands out the window and said, "I want let you know, I have my off duty weapon next to me." He asked what agency and if I knew why he pulled me over. I immediately fessed up to my sin. After running my numbers, give my stuff back and said, "I am going to let you off with a warning but, I can give you a ticket if you want", and started chuckling. "Naw, that's okay, thank you", I replied.

The last thing I want to do is exhibit any attitude of entitlement for special treatment.

The last time, 15-years ago, while still employed, I got pulled over for speeding, 62 in 55. As the patrolman was approaching my window, I stuck me hands out the window and said, "I want let you know, I have my off duty weapon next to me." He asked what agency and if I knew why he pulled me over. I immediately fessed up to my sin. After running my numbers, give my stuff back and said, "I am going to let you off with a warning but, I can give you a ticket if you want", and started chuckling. "Naw, that's okay, thank you", I replied.

Exactly!

Top Bottom