T21 Recall for OM647s - Recommended Dealerships

GaryJ

Here since 2006
Here’s a couple of Northern California successes. A couple of months ago I took my 06 Freightliner van to MB of Rocklin (near Sacramento) and it breezed through. I reported that on the Freightliner T21 thread.

Today I took my 06 motorhome (sold as a Dodge) to Folsom Lake Dodge also near Sacramento. Although the dealer has been recommended here, after not selling Sprinters for 10 years I had my concerns. But in fact I was treated well with no song and dance, and I was out of there in under four hours. I did a 60 mile drive home with a couple of stops and no issues.

Tomorrow I’ll go for smog, then to AAA and should be walking out with new tags.

Gary

GaryJ

Here since 2006
After submitting the “Proof of Correction”, the smog certification and $200 to AAA, I did walk out with my tags in hand. End of a saga...

Gary

Preston

04 Sprinter, 118" Cargo
Here’s a couple of Northern California successes. A couple of months ago I took my 06 Freightliner van to MB of Rocklin (near Sacramento) and it breezed through. I reported that on the Freightliner T21 thread.

Today I took my 06 motorhome (sold as a Dodge) to Folsom Lake Dodge also near Sacramento. Although the dealer has been recommended here, after not selling Sprinters for 10 years I had my concerns. But in fact I was treated well with no song and dance, and I was out of there in under four hours. I did a 60 mile drive home with a couple of stops and no issues.

Tomorrow I’ll go for smog, then to AAA and should be walking out with new tags.

Gary
Congrats Gary. Did you try the Dodge in Auburn? I took mine there and now it's got more codes than ever... I might just head to Folsom. who did you talk to there??

desertdog

Used Cole Dodge in San Luis Obispo. My t1n shows a manufacture date of April 2005 and did not need anything other than the computer work. Have driven 1500 miles since then with no problems. I was pleased with the service at Cole Dodge.

jrod5150

I can tell you the dealership in Long Beach CA has been a nightmare for my client. He took his 2005 van in and they had it done in a few days. When he came to pick it up, the porter pulled it up and parked it. The owner when leaving tried to start it and "start error" for two months he was fighting with them. They wanted him to pay for an ECM, WPS and a new key $2800. I advised him as best I could to how to proceed. Even BAR was involved and sided with the owner. 2 months later they finally had it started. They replaced the wps and a key. He coughed up $800 in a compromise. I'd avoid that place if possible..

GaryJ

Here since 2006
Congrats Gary. Did you try the Dodge in Auburn? I took mine there and now it's got more codes than ever... I might just head to Folsom. who did you talk to there??
I didn’t go to Auburn because I’m not sure they ever sold Sprinters there. Also, Folsom was recommended on this site. I worked with Jeff Garner, Service Advisor at Folsom. He was okay to work with, but mostly he really liked Blazie, my Border Collie.

Gary

jrod5150

Forgot to mention another client with a 2004 had brought it to me for an srs light repair and a coolant leak after Dependable Dodge in canoga park CA had done the t21 recall. Had the strange egr after key off issue, and an undocumented code p2822-008 if I remembered correctly. She requested I call them to explain what was going on. Reluctantly (not fond of service sales people) I did and the writer said "oh ya needs and egr no problem" wasn't going to go into with him but they said they would fix the issue. She made an appointment and 3 times and all 3 times they wouldn't take it back in because they were too busy. Obviously they didn't know what they were doing. She ended up going north on a trip and took it to the San Luis Obispo dealer who handled it no problem

Re: T21 Recall - Recommended Dealerships

Thanks I live in Sacramento, I’ll go to them, My 2006 pass smog but when we took it to AAA dmv they said in order to get the stickers they need a recall complete slip. Thanks I’ll head over there on Monday.

Preston

04 Sprinter, 118" Cargo
I didn’t go to Auburn because I’m not sure they ever sold Sprinters there. Also, Folsom was recommended on this site. I worked with Jeff Garner, Service Advisor at Folsom. He was okay to work with, but mostly he really liked Blazie, my Border Collie.

Gary
Thanks Gary. I have a follow up with auburn on Friday. Seems like I need additional work for the recall to clear the codes so it can pass smog- you’ve heard that one from me before... if auburn can’t fix it, I’ll call your boy Jeff. Thanks

Bourkeco

I can tell you the dealership in Long Beach CA has been a nightmare for my client. He took his 2005 van in and they had it done in a few days. When he came to pick it up, the porter pulled it up and parked it. The owner when leaving tried to start it and "start error" for two months he was fighting with them. They wanted him to pay for an ECM, WPS and a new key $2800. I advised him as best I could to how to proceed. Even BAR was involved and sided with the owner. 2 months later they finally had it started. They replaced the wps and a key. He coughed up $800 in a compromise. I'd avoid that place if possible..
I would Not take my car to this place EVER! They are worthless!

rodrob

Forgot to mention another client with a 2004 had brought it to me for an srs light repair and a coolant leak after Dependable Dodge in canoga park CA had done the t21 recall. Had the strange egr after key off issue, and an undocumented code p2822-008 if I remembered correctly. She requested I call them to explain what was going on. Reluctantly (not fond of service sales people) I did and the writer said "oh ya needs and egr no problem" wasn't going to go into with him but they said they would fix the issue. She made an appointment and 3 times and all 3 times they wouldn't take it back in because they were too busy. Obviously they didn't know what they were doing. She ended up going north on a trip and took it to the San Luis Obispo dealer who handled it no problem
I took my 2004 to Dependable for the recall. Took them 4 times to get it right. New PCM, EGR. First it came back and the engine light would come on after several miles. Then the battery would drain over night, then the cruise control didn't work. It finally was done and I was able to register it. Post recall there is a noticable loss of power. Ugh.

jrod5150

I took my 2004 to Dependable for the recall. Took them 4 times to get it right. New PCM, EGR. First it came back and the engine light would come on after several miles. Then the battery would drain over night, then the cruise control didn't work. It finally was done and I was able to register it. Post recall there is a noticable loss of power. Ugh.
I had a really bad experience myself with dependable about 10 years ago non sprinter related. Same service writers are still there. I switched after that and was using David Ellis for my Chrysler recall& parts needs which was part of Glendale dodge. Glendale dodge is a no sprinter zone they won't touch them

I have another client that is going to be using the dealership in Lancaster. Dodge recommended them because Russell Westbrook and dependable will no longer take appointments. Will post his results.

Rodrob, mine is a Freightliner. I was hoping a specific MB dealer could be recommended, the closer the better. Carlsbad MB is five miles away. Thanks to all here. They have been selling Sprinters for a while, along with a number of awd's I have seen on their lot. I will call and see what they say and follow up. I was hoping someone who has had this done in my area could chime in.

Lennie

I was not a fan of the Mercedes dealer in Carlsbad for diagnostic service not related to the recall. Maybe you'll have more success with them than I did. I don't think the recall is a big deal on a 2006. Mine is a 2004 and needed a new instrument cluster.

Thanks Lennie. who do you rely upon for service?

The guys down at the Sprinter Stop off Miramar Rd. seem to know Sprinters. If I needed help with anything service related, I would give them a try. They helped me last week with replacing a leaking plastic tranny connector that another local outfit screwed up by what I assume not getting the two o-rings mounted correctly. I was out of there in a half hour. The next time I need a tranny service I will be going to the Sprinter Stop.

A shout out to Europarts SD for sending me a replacement connector gratis when I told them mine was leaking after the tranny service was done this past winter at a different shop.

Tomorrow morning, Tuesday, I have an early appointment for the recall with the MB Carlsbad dealer. I was told it would take an hour.

I try to avoid dealers, like many of us here, which makes this forum so valuable.

I wonder what they will actually do, and why it is needed. I haven't had any problems that needed fixing. I just hope there are no negative effects after their work is done.

I will let everyone know how it goes. Maybe my speedometer will be accurate for the first time. No big deal since the scan gauge gives the real speed. I hope they have what they need in stock. I would assume so in a perfect world. Yea right.

ions82

Another '04 (Dodge badged) owner checking in. CEL stays on, and the battery dies. One of the local Dodge dealerships took it in, and I explained from the get-go that it's a recall issue. They called today and said that it is NOT covered because it wasn't replaced when the recall was first released (back in 2017). I explained that the aforementioned recall was a simple reprogramming of the ECM (and that is what triggered the IC/battery drain issue in the '04s), but he said his service manager still said it's not covered. They wanted nearly $1,100 for a new cluster. I guess I made a mistake in buying an' 04. There's one other Dodge dealership in town that I will try. If that's a bust, I may just sell the van. Trying to get a cluster (and have it programmed) would be an expensive, drawn-out process. Is there a way to tell a "good" cluster from a bad? Would one from an '05 or '06 work (once programmed)? There is an independent MB shop near me that has factory-level support. They could program a cluster for me, right? The cluster conundrum continues.

Last edited:

Top Bottom