Any opinions of recent sprinters versus Nissan NV 2500 (or thereabouts)?

Jazzbones

My mechanic did some research and suggested that I'd be better off getting a Nissan, given lower repair/parts costs over time. (I did the math re cost v mileage, and concluded that the sprinter's lower fuel costs quickly offset the difference in cost, but that didn't factor in differences in repair costs.)

I like driving the sprinter better, and it seems to have a bit more room?
But have heard that the Nissan is easier to convert to a camper because of the vertical side walls...

Any thoughts of observations (re costs or other factors to consider) from those who are familiar with both would be greatly appreciated- thanks :)

Onefin

You know, I drove a transit a couple of years ago, and the seat just didn't work for me :-(
I don’t like the transit cockpit and ergonomics much in my limited experience driving them. That’s just IMHO and all that.....people that like them like them.

Maybe look into a promaster?

Not that many people convert Nissan in comparison to transit, PM and sprinter...unsubstantiated guess: it’s really ugly and Nissans in general aren’t that popular like Toyotas.

Jazzbones

Thanks Onefin (does that make you a shark?)

I did consider the promaster, but it has a pretty dismal reputation as far as needing a lot of repair and not holding up well over time. That new vw that was introduced in europe recently looks pretty sweet- but I don;t think I want to wait for them to maybe bring it over here.

I agree- the nissan is kinda an ugly duckling

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
Thanks Onefin (does that make you a shark?)

I did consider the promaster, but it has a pretty dismal reputation as far as needing a lot of repair and not holding up well over time.

I agree- the nissan is kinda an ugly duckling
Yeah, skip the Promaster. Too many problems.

I think the NV is worth considering. It's ugly, but so is the Promaster; Transit too in some configurations. Given the problems I've seen on the Transit forums, it seems like the NV's might be a little better sorted. I'm sure the Transits will get there with time, like the NV.

D

Deleted member 50714

My brother-in-law rented a Transit and I gave it a cursory inspection, and found a leak in the anti-freeze reservoir, areas not painted common to rear door hinges and cockpit was way more confining.

I would never buy a post 1969 American automobile, and totally agree with your mechanic. Buy the Nissan.

I did the math re cost v mileage, and concluded that the sprinter's lower fuel costs quickly offset the difference in cost...
If you attended public schools, I'd like to file felony theft charges for my tax dollars.

You will NEVER make back the additional expense of purchasing a Mercedes with a diesel.

danski0224

So what? Who cares?
I would care about gas mileage. The few people that I have talked to indicate very low double digit MPG from the Nissan.

Vehicle problems based on forum activity doesn't take quantity of vehicles into account.

I see more Transits, Promasters and those Nissan NV's on the road locally than Sprinters. This may change a bit with the availability of a gas engine in the Sprinter.

People don't typically go to a forum to wax poetically about their vehicle.... the person is probably trying to solve a problem.

D

Deleted member 50714

I would never buy a malaise-era American automobile.
Grasshopper, seek to make youn life less complex and be comfortable with malaise. Do not follow millennials on a never-ending pursuit to quench an insatiable thirst for stimulation and instant gratification.

Master NOx

glasseye

Frito's total fuel costs have just now exceeded his $20K purchase price. 150K miles in ten years and a little over 6K usg out the tailpipe.

Repair costs have totaled less than $2K, much of which was an AC rad emergency-installed in Las Vegas.

Other than that, consumables and wear items. See my signature.

Garandman

The gentleman I bought the T1N from had replaced it with an NV200. He did not like it and was going to swap for Ford or another MB.

The extended nose is supposed to make service easier. We did not consider the NV200 when we were buying for our fleet: just too homely.

danski0224

You will NEVER make back the additional expense of purchasing a Mercedes with a diesel.
Until 2019 in the USA, the choice of a Mercedes Sprinter with a gasoline engine has not existed. Diesel was the only choice, with a 4 cylinder option for a couple of years.

Yes, there are maybe 10 2008/2009 Dodge Sprinters with gasoline engines.

I suspect that many new USA Mercedes Sprinter buyers will choose the gasoline engine vs the V6 diesel. If the 4 cylinder diesel makes a comeback, who knows.

I would have a hard time buying another vehicle with a diesel engine... and keeping it beyond the emissions warranty timeframe. That said, I am intrigued by the upcoming Transit Connect that has an available diesel engine....

Although made in America still Japanese. Ha ha ha.
Unless the first digit of the VIN is. "J", it's not a Japanese vehicle.

Conversely, if the first digit of the VIN is. "1", then it was made in the U.S.A.

...and "W" is Germany, and "Z" is Italy.

Last edited:

Top Bottom