Dealers tells me 4,000 4x4s will be produced...

sanomechanic

This is 2018!
Here you go Mr Know It All. Transit worldwide not even a close second

Unit sales by Mercedes-Benz Vans increased in all regions in 2017 and numerous new records were set. In the EU30 region, sales increased by around 9% to around 273,300 vehicles (2016: 249,900), with an increase of around 10% in Germany to around 105,800 units (2016: 96,100) – both of these figures are new records.

And there was growth also in the NAFTA region, to around 44,800 units sold (2016: 43,400, +3%), including the new record of around 34,200 vehicles sold by Mercedes-Benz Vans in the U.S. (2016: 33,700, +1%). The development of sales was positive also in Latin America, with significant growth of around 31% around 16,400 units (2016: 12,500).

Driven by the launch in China of the Vito and V-Class in 2016, unit sales there increased “very significantly” by around 75% to around 23,800 vehicles (2016: 13,600).

Mercedes-Benz said the Sprinter “confirmed its reputation as one of the most successful commercial vehicles of all time and as the best-seller from Mercedes-Benz Vans also in 2017.” A total of around 200,500 Sprinter vans were sold worldwide – more than ever before in one year (2016: 193,400, +4%) – and that was in the last full year of the model cycle

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Your right! Being a Ford also means being a better engineered van with more responsive engine and a much smoother and heftier suspension system. Another advantage is Transit offers eight times more dealers, cost less to purchase and less to maintain and repair. This is why Transit outsells Sprinter 5 to 1.

I'm not finding fault or trying to discourage anyone from buying a Sprinter, they are great vans, but "dollar for dollar" you're paying for the prestigious "Star" rather than engineering and the conveniences of local dealers.

Thanks - Mike
When Ford was only selling E-Series vans, they had a 10X more sales than Sprinter.

As soon as they switched to the Transit, their overall van sales went down. Why? Because the price for a ford van increased 50%, and that encouraged buyers to look at and compare to Sprinter and Fiat Chrysler....

...carry on.

Last edited:

Davydd

McDonalds sells more Big Mac burgers than anyone else but I've never heard claims they were the best burger for it. Same with Budweiser in beers. Silly arguments.

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
One of Ford’s biggest sellers was the Pinto. For Mercedes it was the Smart Car, aka shopping cart. The only thing that might correlate with sales volume is low price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IdleUp

The Transit chassis is an all around much improved more powerful and more economical chassis than the past gas E Series or even Sprinter. In addition it has good aerodynamics for fuel mileage, a functional modern dash and a passenger seat with an actual floorboard where you can put you feet.

While I fully realize this is a Sprinter forum, and guys don't like Transit's, for the most part, the present Sprinter even the new 2020 model to include the engine, is old dated technology. However, since it has the Benz labeling, US buyers will continue to buy them fooling themselves into thinking they have a better van than a Transit. A lot of Sprinter sales are Ego driven, so you can go down the road showing off your Star, which is OK. I mean no one has to have a Mercedes van to go back and forth to work or haul some junk around.

In any case, the best part of owning a Transit is you'll never have to deal with the cost or the morons at the Mercedes dealership.

Mike

grantwilson

FreedomVanGo
While I’m sure not trying to talk anyone out of buying a new 4x4 Sprinter, since I happen to own a 19, the 2020 Transit is going to be a "Benz Killer" with its new 10 speed transmission and its new “Quiet” I-4 twin turbo diesel engine developing 210 hp and 369 lbs of torque. The 4x4 version in 20 will only be available in a gas, but rumor is a 4x4 diesel package will become available in 2021.

You mean AWD

yeah. not 4x4

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
No details yet, but the transit may use a viscous or electronic clutch to transfer power to the front axle. When crawling over obstacles, especially loaded, this could create issues. Give it a few years and there may be some good aftermarket though.

IdleUp

yes

awd =subaru
4x4 =low range

Typically

the new transit is a stock height awd van
Thanks - but it's Mercedes that has the Tonka Toy 4x4 System. On the Benz, when a wheel slips, instead of having a real locking diff with clutches like a real 4x4, it instead pulses the anti-lock brake system on the slipping wheel to force the torque to the loose wheel.

Also, the Benz only applies around 35% of its engine power to the front axle, Transit applies full power. For a precision manufacturer, why is it every other 4x4 system is dead quiet, and the Benz 4x4 has that horrible whine. The Transit 4x4 which will have the same transmission as the F150 don't whine. Regarding the 4" of height, Ford deliberately kept the same height on the 4x4 to make it easier to load.

Regards - Mike

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
IdleUp... do you actually own either ?? seeing as there is NO 4x4 Factory Transit, what are you basing your “knowledge” on regarding how good it is ??
just read a lot ??
Boeing says their 737 Max 8 is a fantastic airplane too... I read it online !!!
?
perhaps it would be best to actually have one and use it for awhile before boasting how great it is...

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Ahh, confirmation bias, with condescension and insults mixed in. Glad you made yourself feel better.

Locking diffs are a liability, even most jeep vehicles no longer use them. They have their place, but I think mbs action control system provides excellent response on a variety of surfaces and has excellent on road manners. And it is still a step above an all-wheel-drive system which relies on the clutch to transfer torque, which is inherently different than a system that continuously biases torque via a gear type mechanical method.

Its no land cruiser, but it is a well integrated and fairly robust approach.

I will be following the details of the transit system. It's not the same as the European version and at this point other than some preproduction models and if you display photos I haven't got any details on the type of transfer case it uses.

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
in the mean time... the more accurate vans to compare would be a Quigly Transit vs an Iglhaut Allrad Sprinter... both being aftermarket companies affiliated with the Ford or MB Factories....

grantwilson

FreedomVanGo
in the mean time... the more accurate vans to compare would be a Quigly Transit vs an Iglhaut Allrad Sprinter... both being aftermarket companies affiliated with the Ford or MB Factories....
not really
because both are actually 4x4.

And one is the cost of a 4x4 sprinter for just hte modificaiton

Last edited:

grantwilson

FreedomVanGo
Thanks - but it's Mercedes that has the Tonka Toy 4x4 System. On the Benz, when a wheel slips, instead of having a real locking diff with clutches like a real 4x4, it instead pulses the anti-lock brake system on the slipping wheel to force the torque to the loose wheel.

Also, the Benz only applies around 35% of its engine power to the front axle, Transit applies full power. For a precision manufacturer, why is it every other 4x4 system is dead quiet, and the Benz 4x4 has that horrible whine. The Transit 4x4 which will have the same transmission as the F150 don't whine. Regarding the 4" of height, Ford deliberately kept the same height on the 4x4 to make it easier to load.

Regards - Mike
Ironic you say that.

a base model 4x4 tacoma does the same thing
But i guess that isn't 4x4.
So does a base model 4x4 wrangler.

lockers are options, not required. Lockers are better than a VLSD for sure, but again, not required

Since you are so certain however. Please share your information of all the random stuff you are throwing out there

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
not really
because both are actually 4x4.

And one is the cost of a 4x4 sprinter for just hte modificaiton
both are aftermarket companies where a Van is supplied.. I believe you can buy complete Sprinters from Ilglhaut or bring one to them, I'm guessing Quigly is the same but starting with a 2wd which actually gives them somewhat of an advantage in the ability of designing and building the front wheel drive system...
I am just saying the completed Vans would be a better comparison vs a Quigly Transit/Factory 4x4 Sprinter....

Top Bottom