2019 4x4 Delay

JHowden

Hi everyone,
I’m sure this comes as no surprise to most of you but I am new to the sprinter scene. We put a deposit down on a 2019 144 4x4 back in February. The dealer originally told us a year which was fine with us. Two weeks later we received a call from him saying he had an allocation for a custom build with a May production and June delivery. This was a surprise but we happily agreed and scrambled to get our finances ready. We heard nothing all of May and now the dealer is saying the Charleston factory is missing there timelines and we shouldn’t expect the van to start production until August. Has anyone else had this happen with there order? Normally I am a very easy going person but I have been working six days a week and sold my truck to make this van happen. Now my wife and I are sharing one car and no hopes of a van for four more months. I think it’s unacceptable but again I am new and don’t know if this is normal for sprinters.

Mostly wanted to vent but if anyone has input or similar experiences please share.

sanomechanic

Could depend on your option packages. Several forum members had May builds and there vans are completed. Have been released from port for delivery and already have VIN numbers issued. Then again some dealers flat out lie too.

If you ordered LED headlamps that would stop it as well because of the recall

JHowden

I’m thinking that’s what happened. Does anyone else have a May build that is on time? Just want to know so I don’t say something stupid to my dealer.

grantwilson

FreedomVanGo
I’m thinking that’s what happened. Does anyone else have a May build that is on time? Just want to know so I don’t say something stupid to my dealer.
I know of at least 6 personally that have had a May build slot, and they are done already. Not all are released from port, but they are all finished

sanomechanic

All Cargo vans for North America are being produced in Charleston. 11th digit in VIN is a T

I agree, your sales person has not been straight forward with you. Several people have already been notified their 4X4 vans are completed, scheduled for delivery over the next couple of weeks, released from port and VIN numbers issued. Some up fitters have already received theirs as well

airforceones25

You’re dealer lied. My May build is completed and sitting in port. Alternatively I just received an email this morning from another dealer in which I had my name on their list as well.

“Good morning Mr. ________,

Thank you again for shopping with _________________.

Here is the latest update:

The MB Factory has cut the 2019 production run short and they are gearing up for production of 2020 models that will start in August. All unfulfilled 2019 orders are rolling over to 2020's automatically.”

Based off this email it seems your dealer was unsuccessful with an allocation and is hoping for a 2020 van.

Best of luck

rolleur

My dealer also told me that the next batch of allocations will be for 2020s. Potential pricing and option package changes but nothing major different otherwise.

JHowden

I just went and spoke with my local dealer. He said (and showed me) all of the May allocations for them were moved to mid June. He was telling me we will be getting a 2019 not a 2020 and Mercedes is going to build the rest of the 2019 for the people that have their orders in. Not sure how much is true but he did show me his full order sheet to Mercedes and matched to what he was saying.

sanomechanic

I just went and spoke with my local dealer. He said (and showed me) all of the May allocations for them were moved to mid June. He was telling me we will be getting a 2019 not a 2020 and Mercedes is going to build the rest of the 2019 for the people that have their orders in. Not sure how much is true but he did show me his full order sheet to Mercedes and matched to what he was saying.
Location of Dealer?

Just got back from my dealer, so far July build dates are holding on Passenger van, but he said Crew vans are delayed due to a problem with the side glass, quality issue. Didn't know how long of a delay. He also said to expect @ 2% price increase for 2020.

If anyone is looking for a Passenger, my dealer has another July build that isn't spoken for yet. Iridium silver 4x4 144 Passenger, mid-level options, $64,861. PM me if serious and I will send you his contact info.

Top Bottom