Dynotronics ECU flashing and Rawtek exhaust review.

Is there a law that says u need to have those parts? Or is there only a law stating that ur exhaust has to meet a certain standard?

Bob
It is a violation of federal law to remove, alter, or otherwise tamper with the vehicle's emissions equipment:

Violators are subject to civil penalties up to $45,268 per noncompliant vehicle or engine, $4,527 per tampering event or sale of defeat device, and $45,268 per day for reporting and recordkeeping violations. 42 U.S.C. § 7524; 40 C.F.R. § 19.4.
https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/clean-air-act-vehicle-and-engine-enforcement-case-resolutions

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
I'm a fan of healthy air...I think the law that says u can't modify or remove emission components is dumb even if the vehicle would still pass an emission test (like the op's Van)

Bob
Maybe the OP should send his findings and results to MB, as it appears they are struggling to get emission compliance correct and this would certainly help them!

:dripsarcasm:

I'm a fan of healthy air...I think the law that says u can't modify or remove emission components is dumb even if the vehicle would still pass an emission test (like the op's Van)

Bob
Hey, no problem- this is a free country, and you are free to think that federal emissions laws are dumb... :thumbup:

Sprinter SS

Still passed one of the stricter emission standards in the country, and it’s pretty close to stock sound ??‍♂
Nate, does the van run any cooler temp wise? I have had a couple of Sprinters and my 2016 runs the warmest, wondering for burn clean emissions reasons?

Bob
I have to agree with Bob. We have way too many laws that regulate details instead of specifying results. This country was built on freedom and it is terrible that we have so many choices taken away.

I have to agree with Bob. We have way too many laws that regulate details instead of specifying results. This country was built on freedom and it is terrible that we have so many choices taken away.
No choices have been taken away. You can choose to operate a legal vehicle on public roadways, or you can choose not to use public roadways.

Driving on public roads is not a Constitutional right (like firearms ownership for example)- driving is merely a privilege, granted at the whim of the government.

sailquik

Bob Laps,
Both!
It's against the law to tamper with the OEM Factory Emissions systems if you intend to drive on public roads.
Off Road, or Racing gets a pass on this, but that's not public roads.
It's against the law for a dealer or other shop that holds an emissions license to replace OEM Emissions control
hardware or software with other than the OEM design parts, unless the parts have been upgraded and approved.
Quite a few of the "tuners" have had to pay huge fines and are no longer in business.
Those who selll "defeat devices" like the DPF replacement pipes and SCR plumbing/wring/software can be fined and or
put out of business.
One wonders why so many folks want to add to environmental pollution.
Properly maintained Sprinters go hundreds of thousands of miles with the OEM Emissions controls working perfectly.
Roger

Last edited:

timcass

Nate,
A couple of questions for you;
1. Pictures? You know what has been said. A picture is worth a thousand words, do you have any??
2. Do you have a point of contact at Dynotronics for coordination to have a tune done or do they just have a central website?

Thanks,
Tim

Nate.evans

Did a 1k trip this weekend. Van runs even better than it did immediately after the tune. On the highway tank I gained 33 miles per tank compared to the Pretune. As far as it running cooler I didn’t pay much attention to the temps. As for the dynoyronics contact, I just went through the website.

The funniest aspect I find about the people who harp the most about clean air typically have the largest carbon footprint. They have multiple vehicles, commute really long distances and/or drive the most. You guys harp so much on people who delete the emissions systems yet your footprint is still larger. Funny how that works out...you get on a high horse about keeping emission systems and clean air, but drive your car for ATLEAST 15 minutes a day to work when it’s definitely bikeable or walkable....Or do you not care enough about the environment to live closer to work? Willing to bet a paycheck you only care about the environment when it’s convenient for you to say so because we’re talking about the topic of emissions systems and yours are intact? You might be saving the environment, but I bet your heart (your actual heart) is crying from high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes and inactivity from driving everywhere. Way to be a martyr for society:lol: :lol::lol:

Last edited:

jgourley

Nate, give us an update on the vehicle. I have a 2010 also and am tired of being held hostage to the endless money pit of keeping the Adblue happy and the MB proprietary software. We originally purchased the vehicle because of its size and the promise of very clean emissions, but this has been a big letdown. I looked at the Malone specs today and see that they recommend doing the following:

**2010+ Sprinters (all unplugging must be done BEFORE installing the tuned ECU):

MUST UNPLUG THE SCR CONTROLLER. Click here for a picture. The location of the adblue controller may vary.
UNPLUG DPF temperature sensors
UNPLUG NOx sensors
UNPLUG DPF pressure sensor
UNPLUG EGR
UNPLUG SWV (Swirl flap motor/actuator)

Which of these steps were required for the Dyn tune? Do you feel it was necessary to bypass the DPF? Does your start-count down still show up on the dash? Check engine light?

Last edited:

Owain@

The SCR module transmits codes to the cluster independently of the ECU, cannot clear the SCR module and cluster by tuning the ECU as they're all separate modules, only times it clears a countdown is if the shutdown signal was sent by the ECU rather than SCR. The removed components should be electronically disconnected so that they're in an open-loop state regardless of who you use for tuning. This also means the tank can be removed entirely.

jgourley

Thanks for the explanation, what can be done to clear the start countdown and shut-off the check engine light once the Adblue system is gone and system is tuned?

220817a

Independent & Self Reliant - From Chattanooga TN
Thanks for the explanation, what can be done to clear the start countdown and shut-off the check engine light once the Adblue system is gone and system is tuned?
When you do a tune, first you reset and clear all trouble codes from the ECU's memory, and only after that you start modifying whatever you need to modify.

The AdBlue system can be completely bypassed and NOx sensors disconnected without any modifications, but you will still have a check engine light on, but with any limp mode.

Top Bottom