weBoost

TampaSteve

2018/2019 Unity CB
Well, my results are in and its not pretty. I tried 3 weboost antennas temporarily mounted to my roof.

As I mentioned previously, in a rural area with a decent signal (5-10 Mbps), the weboost greatly increased the signal strength and “bars” while REDUCING the actual throughput by 50%.

Where I live in Florida its really hard to find an area with a poor Verizon signal, so I drove a few hours to a state park that is a perfect testing scenario. Poor unusable signal, yet not so poor as to be nonexistent and hopeless.

And the results are – the weboost failed completely. Again, it dramatically boasted the signal, but I still got zero data.

I am an engineer and a scientist, so I am puzzled by these results. While my engineering skills are definitely not in the area of cell signal processing, its not so hard to believe that the weboost could work. Its very large, heavy, and expensive, and should be able to out-perform a cell phone in some tasks, not to mention it uses a huge antenna mounted on the roof.

And the net (and even this post) has lots of anecdotal stories of impressive performance, including some that seem very through and analytical. So I am finding it hard to believe that its a sort of mass hysteria and imagination that these things work.

Still, most people believe in all sorts of things that are not actually true…

I am kind of kicking myself over one thing though. I didn’t really properly test voice and text, and because of the way cell service works, that will go over a different signal than data, although this is changing. And at one point one text did go through.

So I may return there shortly to test again on voice and text only, as even a small increase there would be a huge improvement, maybe even enough to convince me to mount the weboost anyway.

Its also possible that since I have only tested in 2 scenarios, the device works in others, and I guess its possible I just have a bad device.

So I am not really any closer to having an answer.

alichty

2014 LTV Unity TB
Well, my results are in and its not pretty. I tried 3 weboost antennas temporarily mounted to my roof.

As I mentioned previously, in a rural area with a decent signal (5-10 Mbps), the weboost greatly increased the signal strength and “bars” while REDUCING the actual throughput by 50%.

Where I live in Florida its really hard to find an area with a poor Verizon signal, so I drove a few hours to a state park that is a perfect testing scenario. Poor unusable signal, yet not so poor as to be nonexistent and hopeless.

And the results are – the weboost failed completely. Again, it dramatically boasted the signal, but I still got zero data.

I am an engineer and a scientist, so I am puzzled by these results. While my engineering skills are definitely not in the area of cell signal processing, its not so hard to believe that the weboost could work. Its very large, heavy, and expensive, and should be able to out-perform a cell phone in some tasks, not to mention it uses a huge antenna mounted on the roof.

And the net (and even this post) has lots of anecdotal stories of impressive performance, including some that seem very through and analytical. So I am finding it hard to believe that its a sort of mass hysteria and imagination that these things work.

Still, most people believe in all sorts of things that are not actually true…

I am kind of kicking myself over one thing though. I didn’t really properly test voice and text, and because of the way cell service works, that will go over a different signal than data, although this is changing. And at one point one text did go through.

So I may return there shortly to test again on voice and text only, as even a small increase there would be a huge improvement, maybe even enough to convince me to mount the weboost anyway.

Its also possible that since I have only tested in 2 scenarios, the device works in others, and I guess its possible I just have a bad device.

So I am not really any closer to having an answer.

The problem is pretty basic and simple - the weBoost is simply amplifying a bad signal. It does not perform any form of signal regeneration. When installed weBoost transforms a bad signal into a more powerful bad signal but the signal isn't improved at all. I have one of these that I used all over the western states including areas with no cellular signal at all and at this point it is sitting on a shelf. I have been part of quite a number of threads on this topic in this forum and am firmly in the camp of using external MIMO antennae with Verizon hotspots.

TampaSteve

2018/2019 Unity CB
I am reluctantly beginning to think you may be right, although its still hard to believe is so popular. Yes, I have been reading threads on MiMo antenna for quite a while, but haven't really seen any recent omni directional ones that are well reviewed. I have a Verizon 7730 as well so that was my fallback option if the weboost failed me.

It looks like a very expensive experiment at this point, but I knew that going in.

The problem is pretty basic and simple - the weBoost is simply amplifying a bad signal. It does not perform any form of signal regeneration. When installed weBoost transforms a bad signal into a more powerful bad signal but the signal isn't improved at all. I have one of these that I used all over the western states including areas with no cellular signal at all and at this point it is sitting on a shelf. I have been part of quite a number of threads on this topic in this forum and am firmly in the camp of using external MIMO antennae with Verizon hotspots.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
I am reluctantly beginning to think you may be right, although its still hard to believe is so popular.
They are popular because they are easy to understand ("Amplify your cell signal". Who wouldn't want that?), and they SEEM to work because they instantly add bars. ...and you just spent all that money. ...and you put in all that effort to install them. ...and everybody on the Internet says they are great. ...and once in a while it really does help.

I have been in this denial mode each and every time I have tried a new generation of these devices. I have finally taken the time to do the actual research and now understand that they CAN'T do what everybody wants them to do, as alichty has explained above.
Yes, I have been reading threads on MiMo antenna for quite a while, but haven't really seen any recent omni directional ones that are well reviewed.
This unit from AntennasPlus is omnidirectional, works well, and is very cost-effective:

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=444714#post444714

A decent MiMo setup is not difficult or expensive, and it can actually work.

JoeyB

They are popular because they are easy to understand ("Amplify your cell signal". Who wouldn't want that?), and they SEEM to work because they instantly add bars. ...and you just spent all that money. ...and you put in all that effort to install them. ...and everybody on the Internet says they are great. ...and once in a while it really does help.

I have been in this denial mode each and every time I have tried a new generation of these devices. I have finally taken the time to do the actual research and now understand that they CAN'T do what everybody wants them to do, as alichty has explained above.

This unit from AntennasPlus is omnidirectional, works well, and is very cost-effective:

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=444714#post444714

A decent MiMo setup is not difficult or expensive, and it can actually work.
Hey, I just wanted to confirm that this is essentially just an antenna that plugs into the portable router? Seems pretty simple to setup if its mostly plug and play, any other steps/tips for setting one up? I think this is the route we will go since WeBoost seems to just repeat a weak signal.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Hey, I just wanted to confirm that this is essentially just an antenna that plugs into the portable router? Seems pretty simple to setup if its mostly plug and play, any other steps/tips for setting one up? I think this is the route we will go since WeBoost seems to just repeat a weak signal.
Yes, it is plug and play. A few things to note, though:
1) The antenna requires a ground plane, such as the top of your metal van. You can get the AntennasPlus unit in either magnetic or adhesive mounting. The number given is for magnetic.
2) There are TWO feeds, one for each of the two MiMo antennas.
3) You need a MiMo-capable hotspot. It will have two antenna plugs. However, just because a hotspot has two plugs, does NOT mean that it supports MiMo. Sometimes the antenna inputs are not supported. Check the specs.
4) The tiny coaxial jacks that are typically used on hotspots are somewhat fragile. They don't stand up well to frequent plugging and unplugging. If you just plug them in and leave them there, it is fine. But if your hotspot is playing dual duty, it can be problematic. That is why I designed and 3-D printed a docking station, as described in the linked thread.
5) If you buy directly from AntennasPlus, they will provide the right dongles to adapt to the correct connectors for your particular device. They are very helpful.

Scarecrow

2017 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
Just chiming in because this trip has been so frustrating with cell strength. Near Seattle, all three of my Verizon devices showed strong signals:
Android Phone (Samsung)
Android Tablet (Asus)
Verizon Jetpack (MiFi)

Only the MiFi was good at data. So much so that I could stream movies non-stop for hours.

But when I headed East and got into the wild countryside, most still showed strong signals - but all three failed, repeatedly, with data. Worked fine for text and phone calls (on the phone, or while hotspotting). And this continued through Idaho and on into Montana. Back in Oregon at Pendleton - all is well, again. The Tablet has been the mpst reliable on this trip - usually it's the Jetpack.

The phone has oddly been the worst of all three on this entire trip.

I did buy those antennas for the Jetpack, but have not figured a way to get them up on the roof. And, as explained, the little connectors are damned fragile.

I have a perk through work with Unlimited Everything. I do not know what I will do when I hang up the spurs completely. One person I spoke with in Idaho claims the towers out here are just overwhelmed with too many Users.

Scarecrow

2017 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
I was just thinking about him! And wondering how his Newmar was working out. I will need to research his thread on this cell connection issue. I wonder if the type or brand of phone or device matters, too? Can they all reap the same benefits?

TampaSteve

2018/2019 Unity CB
I went with the weboost first because it has many positive reviews (including some good analytical ones that posted speed test results before and after). But I haven't been able to replicate any speed test improvement anywhere, although admittedly my few tests do not include the whole universe. weboost issued me an RMA to replace it but that seems kind of unlikely that its bad.

Fallback plan #1. I ordered a Mimo antenna from Neobit today, specifically this one: https://www.neobits.com/antenna_plus_ap_ccg_m_s222_bl_ap_mimo_lte_cellular_p6472972.html Also a couple cable adapters off Amazon. I have 2 Verizon 7730L hotspots to try with. I settled on that antenna as it also has a GPS antenna. (I already installed a Pioneer Avic W8400 in my dash to replace the Becker, and my dash mounted GPS antenna works perfectly, but in case I ever to decide to stretch the cable to the entertainment center I'll have a GPS feed.)

Should have in a few days. Will be a whole lot easier to test as I can just jump in my car and ride to remote areas with the magnetic antenna on the roof.

Now off to find some decent ground plane to test on the RV with...

TampaSteve

2018/2019 Unity CB
Best/only Ground Plane is the Mercedes Chassis.
Could you elaborate? Just stick it on the metal cab portion you are saying? Its seems most use a small galvanized piece of metal on the roof, and from what I read it doesn't make a difference as long as its 9" or so. But I'd be interested to hear otherwise.

Last edited:

Gamma1966

2013 Chassis /14 Unity MB
I was just thinking about him! And wondering how his Newmar was working out. I will need to research his thread on this cell connection issue. I wonder if the type or brand of phone or device matters, too? Can they all reap the same benefits?
I have the same MAX BR1 in my 2014 Unity, and I use the WiFi signal to connect Apple iPhones, Samsung and AT&T flip phones. I also use the Cellualr signal from the Sure Call on all three devices, and have not seen any differences with any of the phones using either cellular or WiFi connections.

alichty

2014 LTV Unity TB
Could you elaborate? Just stick it on the metal cab portion you are saying? Its seems most use a small galvanized piece of metal on the roof, and from what I read it doesn't make a difference as long as its 9" or so. But I'd be interested to hear otherwise.

You are correct. It just has to have enough iron mass to act as a ground reference. Since it's iron (I used a galvanized plate from Home Despot) the magnetic bases on a lot of the various antenna offerings stick to it just fine.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
You are correct. It just has to have enough iron mass to act as a ground reference. Since it's iron (I used a galvanized plate from Home Despot) the magnetic bases on a lot of the various antenna offerings stick to it just fine.
My understanding is that it isn't mass that matters, but surface area. The ground plane acts as a mirror, reflecting the RF waves up to the antenna, effectively doubling the length of the antenna. A thin conductive plate will do. At these wavelengths, I don't think the required area is very large

alichty

2014 LTV Unity TB
My understanding is that it isn't mass that matters, but surface area. The ground plane acts as a mirror, reflecting the RF waves up to the antenna, effectively doubling the length of the antenna. A thin conductive plate will do. At these wavelengths, I don't think the required area is very large
No problem - the plate I grabbed off the shelf had both the surface area and mass :bounce:

TampaSteve

2018/2019 Unity CB
These things are devilishly hard to find. All I can see online at home depot are large square sheets, when I really want a round one. A few sites sell round sheets made specifically as a ground plane, but they invariably have bolt holes and/or are non magnetic. I finally found a guy on EBay selling handmade galvanized 9" disks (its seems galvanized is OK I think) but when I clicked "buy" the order got stuck in Ebay's system, which usually indicates some problem with the seller.

So I'm still searching and tried contacting the Ebay seller. I thought of buying the large sheet from Home Depot and cutting it with tin snips, but I think the edges would be irregular and crappy. Of course, by the time I slather dicor around the perimeter, you probably wouldn't notice it, but I'm funny about trying to get something right.

So Still searching...

SSTraveler

2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
I just used a square sheet. I think I got mine at HD as well but I don't remember the guage, 28 guage (https://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Bui...-in-28-Gauge-Galvanized-Sheet-56032/100287204), 22 guage (https://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Bui...12-in-22-Gauge-Weldable-Sheet-56034/100237896), or 16 guage (https://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Bui...12-in-16-Gauge-Weldable-Sheet-56038/100248617). I think I went with the cheapest 28 guage. I cleaned a spot and just laid it on the roof and put bead of Dicor around the perimeter to keep it in place. My antenna kept getting pulled over so I added more magnets to the base and it hasn't moved.

Attachments

Last edited:

Top Bottom