Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 4x4 Talk

NCV3 4x4 Talk General Discussions related to NCV3 4x4 Sprinters.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:40 AM   #41
drodio

Default Re: AMP Power Step

I will check it out. What youíre thinking is similar to what the folks at amp said to me:

=========

If the step stays down when the door is not completely opened, but retracts when the door is fully opened, there is an issue with the door wiring. Your dome lights may work, but there is another switch for the door ajar circuit. This wire is being pulled loose or broken when the door is fully opened. This would be an issue somewhere between the door boot and the switch at the latch itself.
drodio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:48 PM   #42
drodio

Well I checked the dome lights, and it definitely stays on even with the pass door fully extended. I left the door open for about five minutes and the light stayed on. (The step retracted) Then I closed the door and the light went off after about 45 seconds. So there is some other way the step is getting a signal that the door is partially open versus fully open. Anyone have any ideas?
drodio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 03:34 PM   #43
cowestwinds

Quote:
Originally Posted by REB_CO View Post
FWIW, the dual-sided AMP P/N 76263-01A arrived about 10 days ago, but there's been snow on the ground and the usual procrastination putting off my install. The AMP instructions (post #23) leave a little more to be desired, so I might even have to think. I plan on doing a full dry fit first because a neighbor had the one-side PowerStep installed by his conversion builder, and the retracted step sits more than an inch below the body pinch weld. I'll try for a more snug fit, which will cause battle around the driver's side diesel tank fill.
And the verdict is........
cowestwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:45 PM   #44
Splinter7

I installed the Driver/Passenger side Amp Powersteps a couple of weeks ago on my 2018 144” 4x4 passenger van. Mechanically my steps are perfect, that is when they work. I wired everything up and then plugged in the can-bus two wire connector. Worked like a charm until they didn't. Can't figure out why but the steps will stop working unexpectedly. I’ll open the door and the steps will not come down. The radio won't work either. I'll unplug the two-wire can-bus connector and the radio will start back up and the steps will work again.

Can't seem to narrow down the cause or the sequence that will initiate a failure. I have nothing aftermarket in my van besides the steps.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-04-2019, 04:01 PM   #45
TheHerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter7 View Post
I installed the Driver/Passenger side Amp Powersteps a couple of weeks ago on my 2018 144Ē 4x4 passenger van. Mechanically my steps are perfect, that is when they work. I wired everything up and then plugged in the can-bus two wire connector. Worked like a charm until they didn't. Can't figure out why but the steps will stop working unexpectedly. Iíll open the door and the steps will not come down. The radio won't work either. I'll unplug the two-wire can-bus connector and the radio will start back up and the steps will work again.

Can't seem to narrow down the cause or the sequence that will initiate a failure. I have nothing aftermarket in my van besides the steps.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
I wonder what AMP tech support has to say?

I am waiting for my broken collar bone to heal before I begin my install.
TheHerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 04:18 PM   #46
Splinter7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHerd View Post
I wonder what AMP tech support has to say?

I am waiting for my broken collar bone to heal before I begin my install.
AMP provided a new CAN-Bus module but the problem still persists. Still confused as all hell. Will update if I find a solution.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:02 AM   #47
Wave

Following with interest. Any updates?
Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:54 PM   #48
TheHerd

I’ve had zero issues after installing my dual AMP Power Step. I used the Sprinter designated ground, located further behind the recommended (non-designated ground) bolt per the instructions (driver side dash). I also soldered the wiring extensions. The driver side rear arm is a challenge tightening the frontmost bolt, because the tight space between the shield for the gas tank hose. I used hot glue (instead of double sided tape) to mount lights, and tuck in cabling against the inside underbody. Nice and clean.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:45 PM   #49
TheHerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter7 View Post
AMP provided a new CAN-Bus module but the problem still persists. Still confused as all hell. Will update if I find a solution.
I would recommend moving the ground for the CAN-bus, further back to the Sprinter designated ground. It is a tight fit with large hands, but I was able to get the bolt off and back on. Had a magnet tool read on standby. If you cant reach it, there is another designated ground up in the A pillar, between the front window and driver side door. I don't think the regular bolt mentioned in the AMP instructions makes a great ground.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheHerd For This Useful Post:
mm315906 (05-17-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 11:24 AM   #50
Morgeaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHerd View Post
I got my dual Amp Power Step (76263-01A) in finally. They sent me the wrong wiring harness.
Step 24 says connect purple, purple/black, and red wire. I only had a purple/black. On the other side I have a Pink and a Blue cable. The Pink and Blue are for the single side step, not the double steps. Make sure you have the right wirring harness before you begin. Now I have to wait for them to send me the correct one.
We have the same problem, pink and blue wires but not the red and purple. Did they send a new harness or did they tell you how to make the existing harness work?
Morgeaux is offline   Reply With Quote