Take No Prisoners

444 days.

That's how long the Iranians held 52 American citizens as hostages, while extending their middle finger to the DemonKKKrat peanut farmer in The White House.

And then on January 20th 1981, as President Ronald Reagan was being sworn in, the Iranians hastily loaded the prisoners onto an airplane to release them.

President Reagan had been in communications with the Iranians prior to being sworn in- he told them that he was an old man, that he'd lived a full life, and that as soon as he took office, he'd make their country into a self-illuminating ashtray for the next 500 years. This was an important lesson that President Reagan learned from the Israelis- that they can't be a martyr, if there's no one left to remember them.

From Wikipedia:

at the moment Republican President Reagan completed his 20‑minute inaugural address after being sworn in, the 52 American hostages were released to U.S. personnel.[122][123]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_hostage_crisis#The_444-day_crisis

Last edited:

lindenengineering

Yes I was there in Iran from day one when the place was taken over.

Having heard there was a commotion going on at the US Embassy in the morning at my Gazvin St workshop I wandered over there in the late afternoon with my Iranian girlfriend Pari. My apartment was nearby in Abbassabad district.

We had a chat with the captives' supporters & the throng outside the gates. The US Embassy was covered with Iranian political slogans as I vividly recall.
Looking back what I think was funny was that the British Embassy were doing the equivalent of reverse 911 calls to Brit Ex patriots and I put Pari on the phone to explain the latest situation. Fifteen minutes the details and her voice were on an Auntie Beeb and the world service news bulletin !

Of course the situation and the political motives were different from the US Embassy siege in Tehran to that the one in London.

In fact I was was home at the time watching TV when the BBC went over to the cameras outside the Iranian embassy to watch the "fireworks" as they happened.

The US hostage crisis was marred by a series of blunders and the crash downing of the helicopters in the Dashte Lut were a let down for us Brits in Iran at the time, simply because the 5th Cavalry (the supposed good guys) didn't win. The desert floor detritus was shown in gory detail on local TV
On my last flight out of Tehran it was announced & I remember it well, on KLM over Cyprus that the US and Reagan had an agreement brokered by Morocco to release the hostages--We had a cheer and a clap!
Not good times & within 3 months I was back in the ME , not in Iran this time but neighboring Iraq!.
More fun & games.
Dennis

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
That's the difference between weak presidents like Carter, Clinton, Obama, and men like Reagan, H, and Trump. Those twin towers would have never been attacked in 1993 less than a month after Communist Clinton took office if H had won a second term, and maybe they would have been spared in 2001.

That's the difference between weak presidents like Carter, Clinton, Obama, and men like Reagan, H, and Trump. Those twin towers would have never been attacked in 1993 less than a month after Communist Clinton took office if H had won a second term, and maybe they would have been spared in 2001.
Yup.

My baby brother, whom I happen to love very much, was an elite Commando with the 82nd Airborne during that time period. He got deployed to Haiti because Slick Willy was such a joke, that it took U.S. warplanes overhead with my baby brother standing in the doorway, before they took the U.S. seriously. That never would have happened with Reagan. Ronald Reagan was a man of character and integrity, and he scared the crap out of the people that should be scared.

During that same time period, I actually encountered the Klintons and Algore, while working a Presidential protection detail.

Slick Willy is simply not a man- I could see it in his eyes. He has no salt as a man. I don't know quite how to describe it, but he had that look of a coke-head used car salesman of the era, and nothing more. Which totally jives totally with his "chameleon" act on TV- dying his hair dark before talking with teenaged girls on MTV about what color underwear he wears, and then bleaching it white before meeting with senior citizens to try to scare them into voting for him by telling them that the Republicans were going to gut Medicare. It was clear to me that He and Hitlary didn't have a "marriage" per se- it was more of a corporate partnership, for each of their own personal aspirations of power. When he got caught jamming a cigar up someone else's daughter in the White House as Hitlary slept in the next room, it was no surprise to me that Hitlary stood by his side- there was no betrayal, because there was no marital love involved- it was simply her path to running for President after he was impeached, and she needed to stay with him for her shot to happen.

And Algore is a dick.

flman

Yup.

My baby brother, whom I happen to love very much, was an elite Commando with the 82nd Airborne during that time period. He got deployed to Haiti because Slick Willy was such a joke, that it took U.S. warplanes overhead with my baby brother standing in the doorway, before they took the U.S. seriously. That never would have happened with Reagan. Ronald Reagan was a man of character and integrity, and he scared the crap out of the people that should be scared.

During that same time period, I actually encountered the Klintons and Algore, while working a Presidential protection detail.

Slick Willy is simply not a man- I could see it in his eyes. He has no salt as a man. I don't know quite how to describe it, but he had that look of a coke-head used car salesman of the era, and nothing more. Which totally jives totally with his "chameleon" act on TV- dying his hair dark before talking with teenaged girls on MTV about what color underwear he wears, and then bleaching it white before meeting with senior citizens to try to scare them into voting for him by telling them that the Republicans were going to gut Medicare. It was clear to me that He and Hitlary didn't have a "marriage" per se- it was more of a corporate partnership, for each of their own personal aspirations of power. When he got caught jamming a cigar up someone else's daughter in the White House as Hitlary slept in the next room, it was no surprise to me that Hitlary stood by his side- there was no betrayal, because there was no marital love involved- it was simply her path to running for President after he was impeached, and she needed to stay with him for her shot to happen.

And Algore is a dick.

Agreed, during the primaries back in the day, I recalled that every time Bill Clinton spoke amongst the other candidates that he was the biggest lying crock of :turd: in the room. Sadly a bunch of morons fell for him 2X.

Sadly history repeats itself, lets see, FDR, Clinton, Obama.....

GaryJ

Here since 2006
Moderator: Please move this discussion to the Danger Zone so the rest of us don't have to read any more from the big, tough, cop mentality know-it-alls.

Thanks,
Gary

XLent

Moderator: Please move this discussion to the Danger Zone so the rest of us don't have to read any more from the big, tough, cop mentality know-it-alls.

Thanks,
Gary
Sorry Gary if the truth triggers your frickin’ snowflake. Free speech works both ways. Kiss off!

flman

Thanks,
Gary

Truth hurts, I agree we need to make this a safe space. :hugs:

flman

Thanks,
Gary

D

Deleted member 50714

Yes I was there in Iran from day one when the place was taken over.

Having heard there was a commotion going on at the US Embassy in the morning at my Gazvin St workshop I wandered over there in the late afternoon with my Iranian girlfriend Pari. My apartment was nearby in Abbassabad district.

We had a chat with the captives' supporters & the throng outside the gates. The US Embassy was covered with Iranian political slogans as I vividly recall.
Looking back what I think was funny was that the British Embassy were doing the equivalent of reverse 911 calls to Brit Ex patriots and I put Pari on the phone to explain the latest situation. Fifteen minutes the details and her voice were on an Auntie Beeb and the world service news bulletin !

Of course the situation and the political motives were different from the US Embassy siege in Tehran to that the one in London.

In fact I was was home at the time watching TV when the BBC went over to the cameras outside the Iranian embassy to watch the "fireworks" as they happened.

The US hostage crisis was marred by a series of blunders and the crash downing of the helicopters in the Dashte Lut were a let down for us Brits in Iran at the time, simply because the 5th Cavalry (the supposed good guys) didn't win. The desert floor detritus was shown in gory detail on local TV
On my last flight out of Tehran it was announced & I remember it well, on KLM over Cyprus that the US and Reagan had an agreement brokered by Morocco to release the hostages--We had a cheer and a clap!
Not good times & within 3 months I was back in the ME , not in Iran this time but neighboring Iraq!.
More fun & games.
Dennis

Geez Dunnis, I've been doing kinda of a mental timeline of your life of follies, and appears you are omnipotent, able to visit multiple continents simultaneously. How can this be? Next, you will tell us you were instrumental in the release of the American hostages.

D

Deleted member 50714

Thanks,
Gary
So who's forcing you to read it? Instead of whining, why not skip over topics you don't like?

D

Deleted member 50714

444 days.

That's how long the Iranians held 52 American citizens as hostages, while extending their middle finger to the DemonKKKrat peanut farmer in The White House.

And then on January 20th 1981, as President Ronald Reagan was being sworn in, the Iranians hastily loaded the prisoners onto an airplane to release them.

President Reagan had been in communications with the Iranians prior to being sworn in- he told them that he was an old man, that he'd lived a full life, and that as soon as he took office, he'd make their country into a self-illuminating ashtray for the next 500 years. This was an important lesson that President Reagan learned from the Israelis- that they can't be a martyr, if there's no one left to remember them.

From Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_hostage_crisis#The_444-day_crisis

Coming soon...Dunnis version of how he delivered Reagan's message to the hostage takers.

D

Deleted member 50714

Sorry Gary if the truth triggers your frickin’ snowflake. Free speech works both ways. Kiss off!
All GaryPee will say is the forum is "private" and Free Speech not applicable. According to the constitution of the United States, free-speech is an alienable right. IMHO, any private entity subjugating the first amendment right is anti-American and should be prosecuted and brought before a trial of their peers.

Thanks,
Gary
Gary, I apologize for posting something that you as a beta "male" could search out to assume third-party victimhood over. How insensitive of me.

By the way, what is it about the individual elements of so-called "toxic masculinity" that you think are bad? Do you think that small people are better than big people? Do you think that being a pussy is better than those who can handle a physical altercation? Do you think that having lawless anarchy is better than having law and order?

I'd like to share a famous quote with you. It is often attributed to George Orwell, but it's actual author is unknown: "People sleep peacefully in their beds, only because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm."

...and this is a real quote:

"I do believe that, where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence."

--Mahatma K. Ghandi

Top Bottom