2003 EGR valve replacement

bobmac

Has anyone had to replace a T1N series EGR valve? Did you find a more economical choice than the Wahler valve sold by Europarts of San Diago?:

https://europarts-sd.com/egrvalve2002-2003.asp

I saw reference somewhere on this forum once to an aftermarket dealer who had an equivalent but lots of bad press followed on the distributor.

I presume they can not be repaired? Mine is leaking exhaust gas when it opens I think.

Any thoughts and comments appreciated!
Thanks,
Bob with a 2003 long and tall Freightliner = 2004 Vista Cruiser

Isla

Cant be repaired from what i heard. I had to fess up the 600 for it and my van ran better than it had the whole time ive owned it. I wouldn't go aftermarket

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Isla

You could get the GDE tune. It has an EGR delete in it. Never need to replace it again.
That's what i did. Unfortunately you have to have a functioning egr to delete it. At least ib my 2003 t1n. Sounds crazy but true.. keith at gde eventually got around to telling me so after his tune failed to get me outta limp. Had to buy new egr instaly outta lmp then tune it after to stop egr from cycling

That's what i did. Unfortunately you have to have a functioning egr to delete it. At least ib my 2003 t1n. Sounds crazy but true.. keith at gde eventually got around to telling me so after his tune failed to get me outta limp. Had to buy new egr instaly outta lmp then tune it after to stop egr from cycling

Damn that sux. Well maybe you can sell him your EGR, with exchange of course. :smirk:

Isla

Well i wonder sometimes if mine works. I took it back apart and there it some new black ****, gde told me its nothing and maybe just the egr leaking. Most likely it never disabled it and just bumped up the fuel ratio and turbo engagement speed to make the van feel pepier? Did gde **** me over!?

LDJ,
Why was that?

bill in tomahawk
Let me first state that I load code updates on mainframe computers, robotic tape libraries, and high end storage systems for a living, so the procedure to update the Sprinter is very straightforward, actually simple.

I requested and paid for an EGR delete and SKREEM delete for my 2002, both to avoid future problems with the EGR and SKEEM as my Sprinter was currently working fine.

I have a D.A.D. unit, so I did a capture before and after installing the software update, and it was not posting ANY errors before.

Oddly after flashing the van, it created a whole bunch of EGR and SKREEM errors, and even changed the mileage that shows up in the D.A.D. program, which I was not happy about.

While the flashed update was installed, the EGR was still moving, not just shut, which I thought was suspect.
When I tested the SKREEM delete, with a non-chipped key from S.O.S, the van would not start and threw the unchipped key error. However my chipped key still worked.

The EGR errors could be cleared with the D.A.D., but the SKREEM errors would not clear no matter what I tried.
When I questioned the issues with GDE, by email, I was directed to remove and reinstall the software, and got the same results. They then had me do something to the flash device that completely disabled it.
When I wrote back explaining that the flash tool was now "bricked" and unuseable, I was told to send it all back for a refund.

I checked back with S.O.S. (who I have used in the past for new chipped re-key) regarding clearing the SKREEM errors and was quoted a few hundred dollars to reprogram the SKREEM.
He also stated that the SKREEM delete could not be done with a flash tool, the module would need to be sent in for the reprogram... so I am not sure what GDE tried for a SKREEM delete.

Despite the weird mileage change, and the permanent SKREEM errors that shows up in the D.A.D. diags the van starts and runs fine.

So much for trying to be proactive regarding Sprinter problems... If it ain't broke don't mess with it.

Last edited:

bobmac

Haha! Right..

Do you still have a 'new' EGR Isla, or do I gather from your first reply that you are still using it?

My vehicle that needs a replacement is in Massachusetts. The Aussie Sprinters don't use them.
Bob M 2003 Freightliner = 2004 Vista Cruiser

He also stated that the SKREEM delete could no be done with the flash tool, the module would need to be sent in for the reprogram... so I am not sure what GDE tried for a SKREEM delete.
My recollection from a comment by GDE Keith is that they don't actually remove or disable the SKREEM. They fool the ECM into not polling for it during the start sequence aka they just skip the SKREEM security step.

So... if your SKREEM programming/hardware is somehow wonky, just skipping the step may not work. I will readily bow to more informed or detailed explanations.

So much for trying to be proactive regarding Sprinter problems... If it ain't broke don't mess with it.
:thumbup:

The trick is to know when to apply that philosophy.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

vs

16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.

:cheers: vic

Last edited:
B

billintomahawk

My '02 at 90k miles is already on EGR valve number two.
I am down to one key.

So the above experience of LDJ is bad news for me since I thought the GDE tune was a sold way out for me and I was planning on it.
I don't want to reopen the GDE can of worms for environmental concerns.
I believe our aging engines need all the help they can get to remain viable.

So do any '02-03 owners have a positive GDE story to tell?
Since I am in Wisconsin, driving directly to GDE is a real possibility for me.
Maybe someone has done that?

bill

Last edited by a moderator:

Isla

I like the pep of my van with the gde tune a lot. Just not happy after taking a brand new egr valve off and seeing visible evidence of valve function. I removed and cleaned my intake, new egr, gde tune, black **** after 10k miles.. can't tell if its "just leaking" like keith at gde told me or fully functioning.

surlyoldbill

I Asked years ago about GDE working to replace a failed EGR by tricking the sensor, and no one could confirm.

Anyway, what I learned about 02-03 EGR:
-They fail eventually and are a maintenance item, you'll need to replace them every 100-200k (depending on driving habits),
-They fail via the seal around the shaft between the cam chamber (under the plastic cap) and the main intake. It wears and allows too much boost pressure to escape, and the sensor readings of MAF and Boost pressure do not jibe, so the ECU thinks there is a boost leak (there is) and goes into LHM.
-They cannot be repaired as far as I know. Everyone THINKS it's the valve itself, between the exhaust and the intake, but that's not the problem, and cleaning that to look like new won't "fix" the problem. It might prolong lifespan of the EGR because it may reduce sideways pressure on the valve arm, so it doesn't wear the seals as fast. It sure doesn't hurt. Using a block-off plate over the exhaust inlet will not "fix" the LHM issue, confirming that it is not the problem with a failed EGR.
-Wahler is the one and only manufacturer, so don't worry about getting a "cheap Chinese part".
-dripping oil from the cam chamber is normal, and is NOT a sign of a failed or failing EGR. Actually, they are failing from the first mile driven. However, the more the seal gets worn, the more oil vapor gets through, and the more they will drip.
-There is no reliable advanced warning that the EGR will send you in to LHM. It will do it sporadically and a re-start will "fix" it, but these instances will occur with more frequency over the next few months until you cannot get it to stay "fixed" by restarting. That first couple LHM episodes is your warning, and you should order an EGR.
-It takes less than 10 minutes to replace the EGR, and no special tools.

*often people think their turbo is failing because they lose boost, or that there is a leak in the charge air system, or maybe a failed turbo actuator, or disconnected vacuum line. Both times when this happened to me I went down the turbo and turbo controls rabbit hole, and both times it was the EGR. I believe I replaced the OEM EGR at 150k, and the next one at 250K.

Last edited:
I bought my 2003 last year from a guy who said the EGR is bad. Maybe it is, maybe it isn’t. And it does go into limp mode a lot. But I can prevent it most of the time by pressing the gas pedal really fast from a standstill. Within 2 seconds I can feel that turbo kick in and I’m good to go. This method works for me 90% of the time. For the unlucky 10%, I will let off the gas for 5 seconds getting speed down to 20 mph or less, then gun it again.

If I press gas normally from a standstill it will enter LHM much more frequently.

Top Bottom