What should the RPM's be at 70 mph

Michiganmike

Hello,

I have a 2011 Itasca Navion with 24,000 miles and just had to have the glow plugs replaced. When I picked up the coach I put it in reverse and could swear the engine was revving as I depressed the accelerator but the coach didn't move, almost like the transmission wasn't engaged. I then left the dealer and could swear the coach was running at higher RPM's than normal, almost like it was stuck in a higher gear. I took it back and the tech took it for a drive and it ran fine with the exception of one instance when he said it seemed the engine bogged down. He took it back and ran all the diagnostics and everything checked out.

Can anyone tell me where I can find what the appropriate RPMs are for the coach when it is running at 70 mph so I can determine if the coach is operating at the right RPMs?

Thanks.

Mike
Itasca Navion 24k

elemental

Wherever you go, there you are.
2011 Itasca Navion with 24,000 miles [...] could swear the coach was running at higher RPM's than normal, almost like it was stuck in a higher gear. [...]
Can anyone tell me where I can find what the appropriate RPMs are for the coach when it is running at 70 mph so I can determine if the coach is operating at the right RPMs?
1. I think you mean "stuck in a lower gear" (RPMs decrease at a given speed as the gear "number" increases, and increase at a given speed as the gear "number" decreases (i.e., you will rev higher in 1st gear to go 15 MPH than you will in 2nd gear to go the same 15 MPH). Of course, if you were referring to the numeric gear ratio as being higher, my pedantic suggestion should be ignored.

2. What engine/transmission combination do you have? I know the 6 cylinder/5-speed auto was available in 2011, but the 4 cylinder may have been as well? This will make a difference for what the "normal" RPMs at 70 MPH would be.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Elemental's answer is correct ... as are his questions.

What RPM are *you* seeing at what speeds?

Other NCV3 folks could then say (or guess) what gear you're stuck in.

To accurately calculate RPM-to-speed, we'd need to know your tire size (or "turns per mile"), your rear-end ratio, and your transmission.

--dick

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
"the engine was revving as I depressed the accelerator but the coach didn't move, almost like the transmission wasn't engaged"

I think this can happen when cold, then work correctly when warm, IF the transmission fluid is 1/2 qt too low and may not throw a code.
Check tranny fluid level if you bought a dipstick

hippy

Hardware Modifier
If you do an online search for Benz vin decoder and input your vin then you should get a read out of what rear differential your build has fitted, there are a lot of variations. My manual version for instance at 40mph in 6th is 1800rpm in my van and it has AR5- - AXLE RATIO I = 4.727, feels like low range on a 4x4 version. 1st gear is just 10mph.
There also should be a rectangular sticker on the axle with the ratio printed on it.

calbiker

The rear axle ratio on my T1N is 3.727, 5th is 0.83, and 28.5 inch circumference wheels. Yours is probably the same.

In 5th, RPM = 37.7 * MPH

Should be around 2640 rpm at 70.

HarryN

It is a 2011 win navion / view. This isn't a trick question.

6 cyl, 3 liter, 5 speed, 3500 with dually rear tires is > 90% likely.

Old crows, don't you own a similar rig?

I guess we can wait for the question to be moved to the win view section for an answer.

I guess we can wait for the question to be moved to the win view section for an answer.
Nope. It will probably get better play in the NCV3 section.

Is it a cab chassis 3500?

If yes, my guess is a 4.182 ratio.

:cheers: vic

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Enter your VIN here: http://carinfo.kiev.ua/cars/vin/mercedes/vin_check
and screen-scrape the result to save a local copy.

It's not a VIN "decoder", it's the "datacard" of what MB built into *your* Sprinter.

--dick
p.s. to my ears, a "decoder" is one which extracts only the information that mandates the first 12 characters of your VIN: body style, brand (Dodge/Fl/MB), factory, year.

Michiganmike

Here's all the information I got from plugging the VIN into the VIN check provided by autostaretx. Does this help?

AR3 AXLE RATIO I = 4.182
Parameter Value
Baumuster 906155
Sales name 519 4X2 4325
Order number 7 1 740 13607 (Destination: )
Delivery date 16 11 2010
PAINT1 9147 PAINT COLOR ARCTIC WHITE MB 9147
Engine 642898 41 063590
Front axle 1 0 779225
Rear axle 1 741416 G 468505
Gearbox 722683 8 340281
Parameter Value
Rear axle 1 741416 G 468505
AGG_VAR X 004 070 349
ETV_BM 7414540
ZUTEXT
Variant X 004 070 349
Number for spare parts 7414540

Winterbagoal

2018 Winnebago Navion 24V on a 2017 Cab Chassis
I don't usually drive at 70mph, but at around 65mph I think I'm turning maybe 2300, give or take, on a flat roadway, with no other load enhancing issues. Next time I'm out I'll try to remember to note the RPMs in that speed range.
2017 3.0L V6 w/5 speed auto-transmission. R/E is a 3.923:1, afaik.
Slightly off topic, has anyone used this VIN analyzer?

https://www.mbdecoder.com/

or this one?

https://www.datamb.com/

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Slightly off topic, has anyone used this VIN analyzer?

https://www.mbdecoder.com/

or this one?

https://www.datamb.com/
Thanks for those... the first one barfed if i gave it the "European" VIN (WDB903662... style)
... and then didn't respond at all when i tried the US formulation.

The second one (https://www.datamb.com/) did work with my VIN.

What it didn't provide was the "sub assembly" numeric breakdowns, which are handy if you're deep into the what-changed-when part number hunts (such as things that only apply to transmission serial numbers xxx-yyy, for example). The Kiev site provides some of those.

--dick

Winterbagoal

2018 Winnebago Navion 24V on a 2017 Cab Chassis
Thanks for those... the first one barfed if i gave it the "European" VIN (WDB903662... style)
... and then didn't respond at all when i tried the US formulation.

The second one (https://www.datamb.com/) did work with my VIN.

What it didn't provide was the "sub assembly" numeric breakdowns, which are handy if you're deep into the what-changed-when part number hunts (such as things that only apply to transmission serial numbers xxx-yyy, for example). The Kiev site provides some of those.

--dick
No problem. Seems there's a lot of them out there, some work, some don't, some want $$$ for full information. I save them as PDF or JPG files and keep at least one on my phone.

sailquik

ISS.
What year model is your Sprinter?
T1N (2002-2006) or NCV3 (2007-2018).
Do you have the 5G-Tronic/NAG-1 transmission?
Do you know your rear end ratio and are you using the OEM stock tire size?
Roger

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Roger: ISS is showing an NCV3 instrument cluster (us T1Ns don't have the illuminated center column)
(nor the dinky fuel gauge... ours is bigger and separate)

--dick

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Roger: ISS is showing an NCV3 instrument cluster (us T1Ns don't have the illuminated center column)
(nor the dinky fuel gauge... ours is bigger and separate)

--dick
From ISS's first post three years ago...

Hello.
I'm a new member in here, and would like to ask You a couple of questions.
At first, I'm the owner of one of the greatest vans on the market, and it is a 2012 Mercedes Sprinter 2500 170 WB EXT.
Got this van about half a year ago and already did some modifications things ( will post some pics for You little bit later).
The big problem with it, it show some trouble codes and check engine lights is ON. Its all happen a three or so weeks ago and after I clear the codes the light goes off, but as soon as I start driving, after about 20-40 miles ( even on freeway at 75 mph ) check engine lights comes ON again. STORED AND PERMANENT codes: P246B P2458 P2459.
Please help, point me into right direction before I do something stupid and expensive.
P.S. Is this still covered by the warranty? The van is 2012 and 31300ml on it. I am the second owner.

Thank You so much!!!!

Keith.

Top Bottom