Sprinter versus Transit.

• Thread starter Deleted member 50714
  • Start date

Once you get the diesel disease for some there is no known treatment. Have been there and done that but fortunately was able to get treatment to cure the disease.
I've been there, done that too. Unfortunately I wasn't cured. Instead I combine the newer disease with my old one. I bought a second Sprinter 2006, and added the 2004 Sprinter to my hoard. :bash:

At least I have no more driveway space for another Sprinter... unless I sell the travel trailer... :hmmm:.

:cheers: vic

HarryN

Interestingly, GM is releasing a class 4 / 5 series truck (4500 / 5500 series) this winter.

They think of them as commercial vehicles, but a clever person / company could turn them into a very nice conversion van.

Sprinter SS

I sure do miss the 350sdl diesel smell in the morning.

still on the hunt to buy another sd or sdl.
I hear ya! I have a 95 E300 (OM606 no turbo), and it still is the best thing since sliced bread for me! The very sound of the engine at idle reeks of "oil and lubrication", it speaks to the inner machinist in you even though I am not a machinist...

Oh and 302k miles zero leaks and no oil consumption is not bad either.

My Ecoboost has it all over my 2.7 and 3.0 MB diesel, has more torque and horsepower, twin turbos, direct injection, it is a diesel with spark plugs.

Go test drive an ecoboost, then tell us all about Sprinter torque. :popcorn:
:tongue: This guy. I'm going to check one out on your recommendation for my next build. Circa 20 years from now. Maybe they'll have flying vans by then

lindenengineering

After you have tested it read up on GDI technology, the design force behind the power and some of the downsides .
Its not all beer & skittles.

One old customer who switched to Ford immediately missed the fuel consumption benefit of diesel .
Dennis

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
After you have tested it read up on GDI technology, the design force behind the power and some of the downsides .

One old customer who switched to Ford immediately missed the fuel consumption benefit of diesel .
Dennis
It is a choice. If fuel consumption is the most important criteria for the vehicle purchase, then the Sprinter diesel is the correct purchase. You can not have performance and fuel economy at the same time. There is a considerable difference on how the two vehicles drive.

Before the recent tariff driven parts cost increases the Sprinter parts were much more expensive than Transit parts. Now those costs have increased. Sprinter scheduled maintenance and repair costs are much higher than the Transit costs. Any brand diesel is prone to require service on the more complicated emission controls.

Be interesting to see a comparison of the total costs of ownership between the two vehicles. Suspect that the increased fuel economy of the Sprinter is offset by its higher cost of repairs/maintenance. Probably not much difference in the total cost of ownership.

There is a major difference in prestige that also enters into the decision if that is important.

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!

Dennis

That is about all I miss, but I don't miss expensive maintenance, parts and repairs. I think Graphite Dave has illustrated the cost savings and peace of mind many times vs paying a few more dollars for fuel, saving a lot of money in maintenance and repairs, and the biggest bonus is all the down time saved. What is your time worth? For an extra 2 or 3 MPG, which really is not that much, considering diesel cost more at the pump any ways.

HarryN

About a week ago I joined a transit oriented forum to start figuring those out.

It was kind of interesting to see not only some of the same people that are on this forum, but more or less similar problems. ( drive train, software and electrical)

I have not idea if it is to the same level, just was an interesting experience. Sort of like the sites were mirrors.

flman

It was kind of interesting to see not only some of the same people that are on this forum, but more or less similar problems. ( drive train, software and electrical)

I have not idea if it is to the same level, just was an interesting experience. Sort of like the sites were mirrors.

Good one, you are funny! :lol:

lindenengineering

Yes they are!!!
I pop into it now and again and have a scoot around !
The latest entertainment for me is the transmission thread, worthy of along read!

If you go through the thread take a look at the wooden ramps !!!
Oh Me Gawd --An Irish benediction !:laughing:
Confirms African bushman thinking exists in the USA!
Where's OSHA?:laughing:

On thing though! No Danger Zone--That explains a lot!
Dennis

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton

I am on both forums. I thought it was striking how different the contents were in the two forums. The Transit forum has far less reliability issues posted. Do not know if that means the Transit is more reliable or not but would guess it is. One reason for the difference is most of the Transits are gas so do not have the normal diesel issues.

There is/was a design error in the driveshaft. Instead of a normal U-Joint at the rear of the transmission Ford installed a rubber doughnut. The doughnut failed. There was a recall to replace the doughnut with a redesigned more robust doughnut. Have not read any postings about the redesigned doughnut failing.

There was another design error for vans with the tow/haul trailer hitch option. The controls are located in the driver door step. Water could get into the controls. A recall added a circuit breaker and a drain hole.

The last major issue has been water running down the windshield into the engine compartment. Still not redesigned. To make sure the water could cause a problem the air filter housing cover has the top cover inset into the bottom tray. Water runs down the side of the cover and goes into the housing. A 10 year old would have designed a better air filter housing. Hard to believe Ford could have been so stupid and then not had a recall. I have a plastic bag wrapped around mine and many others have added an upside down plastic tote over the housing.

Almost no software postings or electrical issues.

Interesting that Harry thought that issues were similar on both sites.

flman

Yes they are!!!
I pop into it now and again and have a scoot around !
The latest entertainment for me is the transmission thread, worthy of along read!

If you go through the thread take a look at the wooden ramps !!!
Oh Me Gawd --An Irish benediction !:laughing:
Confirms African bushman thinking exists in the USA!
Where's OSHA?:laughing:

Dennis
Transit forum is kind of boring, definitely needs a danger zone, sometimes the threads will go far enough off the rails, but it takes a week for the mods to respond and stop all the click bait. In the end we settle our differences and we get along with most of the members except for one D bag who can't let it go.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
This thread may be moot with a redesigned Sprinter coming soon. I will say that I was not terribly impressed with the V6 NCV3 Sprinter. I also was not impressed by the Transit. It was the 4 cyl 7-speed that brought me into the Mercedes-Benz world because it made the vehicle feel an entire generation newer. I suspect most of that is the transmission, which the V6 will finally get in the redesign. Instead of a 3MPG lead over the Transit, I expect it will be 5+ MPG better with the newer transmission. It must be said that the 4 cylinder Sprinter gets 8-10 MPG better than a gas van, so the fuel savings there is significant.

It's also moot for me to talk about the 4 cylinder because it appears that engine is not a choice for 2019. I will just consider myself lucky that I got one in the three years they were made.

GaryJ

Here since 2006
Dennis
Having observed, and on rare occasions participated in the Danger Zone, last week I made the decision to put it on my ignore list. Really, nobody ever changes their mind so its just a hopeless rant. Clear sailing from here on...

Gary

D

Deleted member 50714

Having observed, and on rare occasions participated in the Danger Zone, last week I made the decision to put it on my ignore list. Really, nobody ever changes their mind so its just a hopeless rant. Clear sailing from here on...

Gary
Oooohhh noooo, not the dreaded ignore list. :bash:

So much for liberal tolerance and inclusion.:frown:

Hasta la Vista big baby and don't forget your ball.:cry:

D

Deleted member 50714

After a through inspection and comparison. There is no comparison. The Sprinter in hands down superior to Transit. :clapping:

Top Bottom