Stoked for incoming Travois Expedition

Finally have a serial number for our MY18 144 4X4 cargo van with standard roof in pebble grey. Updated last week from the dealer/upfitter Travois RV Industries of l'Orignal, Ontario, that it was in production in Germany. Should take 45 days for conversion once it arrives in Canada.

Before deciding on Travois (recently moved from Quebec), we also looked at Nomad Vanz in BC and Overland Explorer here in Alberta.

Firstly we were impressed with the well-equipped base model they optioned for the conversion, which included convenience package, bi-xenon lights, heated seats, driving assistance package, swivel seat package, luxury interior package, full window package, leather steering wheel, roof rack mounting rails, aux heater, rear heat/cool ducting, downhill speed regulation, and more!

Some of the features that we are enthusiastic about with Travois Conestoga Expedition conversion are those for rough roads, ie, side sill bars with steps, skid plates, transfer case cradle, winch, snorkel, trailer hitch, 265/75-16 all-terrain tires on custom wheels with fender flares, and Hella aux lighting front and back.

For the living space, we will have a Canada-spec pop-top roof (as per Transport Canada, roof cannot be cut ahead of B pillar), sleeping space for 4 adults, awning, combo diesel heater/stove, fridge, aluminum cabinets, full insulation including floor, 300w solar, lithium batts, shore hook-up, water/grey tanks, cassette toilet, wi-fi, swivel front seats, interior blinds, etc.

We are also extremely reassured with the included 160,000 km factory warranty.

Will post updates as work progresses. Here are a couple of high roofs already received by Travois for conversion...lucky people :clapping:

Attachments

Winterbagoal

2018 Winnebago Navion 24V on a 2017 Cab Chassis
Our Navion build was delayed by chassis availability. We ordered in Oct 2017, and picked it up at the dealer in March 2018. They said it was due to delays getting the "Canadian" chassis built in Germany.

Interesting, I wonder what the Canadian-specific chassis specs are? The last status report from M-B Canada in late July stated "Vehicle Produced - Factory Yard", so at least the build hurdle has been passed.

Winterbagoal

Interesting, I wonder what the Canadian-specific chassis specs are? The last status report from M-B Canada in late July stated "Vehicle Produced - Factory Yard", so at least the build hurdle has been passed.
I have no idea. Except the extra $5000 tacked on to the price. :wtf:

The only difference in build terms was that the tank heating pads could not be factory installed by Winnebago. They were only allowed to rough in the wiring for them. Then the actual pads were installed by the Canadian dealer when the unit arrived. :crazy:
Maybe DRL enabled? Probably speedometer in KPH? Not sure about the rest of it. Probably some ECM/ECU tweaks, too.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Rumor has it that the low roof 2018's failed the US roll-over requirements (unbelted rear passengers could too-easily exit through windows during the crash).

The "Canada" model may simply have been the hassle of making a NAFTA Sprinter without the production volume of the US market.

Just guessin'

--dick
p.s. based upon this thread's title, i instantly pictured something like this being dragged behind your Sprinter:

travois.jpg

Last edited:

Winterbagoal

Never even thought of that angle, but now that you mention it, I wonder why they'd pick a name like that for the company? It does conjure up some pretty spartan images for the finished product.

I wonder why they'd pick a name like that for the company?
For me the name perfectly suits a Canadian company dedicated to transportation. As a native conveyance, the travois originated with dogs as the mode of power, adapting to horses following their introduction. I only ever thought of it as an homage to the original settlers of our country.

Unit has arrived at Travois

Eureka, it's here! Just got this photo from the upfitter of our 4x4's arrival. Now imagining a pop-top and all the other goodies...

Attachments

Today marks 30 days since "our" Sprinter arrived at Travois. We are still waiting for the actual contract so no build schedule yet. Just recalling it was March when we first made contact with Travois and April when I signed-off on their quote. A few deadlines have slipped since then, perhaps an indication of how busy they are and how difficult it is obtaining Sprinters from the factory. Still hopeful for delivery in 2018, but a bit apprehensive about the 3500 km drive back home in the middle of winter!

Last edited:
Try to picture this Travois Conestoga in Pebble Grey. Other than the color, ours will also have roof-top LED lights front and back. The nice thing about purchasing the base 2018 4x4 from Travois' partner dealership (Cornwall Freightliner) is that we were able to obtain a low M-B financing rate and 5 year prepaid maintenance package.

Attachments

Now anticipating a February completion date and there have been a few modifications to the original spec since I first posted. The Travois Conestoga Expedition conversion still includes the full protection package with sill bars, front skid plate with brush bar and driving lights, transfer case cradle, winch, snorkel, trailer hitch, 265/75-16 all-terrain tires on custom wheels with fender flares.

Otherwise, there has been a switch to Dometic accessories including an electric awning, stainless fridge, sink, water heater, and 2-burner induction stove accompanied by an upgraded 3000W inverter. The onboard water tanks have been increased to 140 litres. In addition to their custom aluminum cabinets, Travois has designed their own floor system with L-track to accommodate an adjustable/removable seat-bed.

Minor Disaster!

While our van was being driven from the dealer to Travois, it developed a misfire and damaged a cylinder. With only 18 km on the odometer, a new engine is on rush order. For one reason or another, our spot on Travois production schedule keeps getting bumped :-(

We still have ultimate faith in the Sprinter and the dealer's actions have been very positive so, finger's crossed, fortune will swing our way soon. Having been recently promoted to the rank of "grandpa", I find it easier to put these things in perspective...

Attachments

Winterbagoal

Short roof model? I recall you mentioned that earlier.
I wonder what it does to the warranty on the chassis/body, when they cut the roof open to add the pop top?
I vaguely recall, years ago when Sprinters were just starting to be upfitted, Roadtrek was not allowed to cut their icnonic 3 skylight windows into the forward edge of the roof of the conversion vans, or MB said they would void the warranty. That's when they started using the dummy stick on window decals.

Short roof model? I recall you mentioned that earlier.
I wonder what it does to the warranty on the chassis/body, when they cut the roof open to add the pop top?
I vaguely recall, years ago when Sprinters were just starting to be upfitted, Roadtrek was not allowed to cut their icnonic 3 skylight windows into the forward edge of the roof of the conversion vans, or MB said they would void the warranty. That's when they started using the dummy stick on window decals.
The difference between Canadian and US-spec pop-top conversions is that Transport Canada won't allow any cuts in the roof ahead of the B-pillar. The Travois units for Sprinter and Metris comply and are approved by M-B Canada.

I received some great photos of the new engine. Just software tuning left to do, then off to Travois for the conversion.

Attachments

Top Bottom