Fire extinguishers

mbsprinter144

What are you using? Where is it mounted?

I know there is an Oem one that goes in front of passenger seat but no idea what part numbers are.

pfflyer

I bought a 2 pack of Kidd extinguishers from Sams Club. I mounted 1 behind the drivers seat that I can access from outside and 1 mounted on the rear pillar passenger side.

I bought a 2 pack of Kidd extinguishers from Sams Club. I mounted 1 behind the drivers seat that I can access from outside and 1 mounted on the rear pillar passenger side.
My T1N extinguisher mounts in the OEM position of the driver side (left) footwell rear area. I needed to cover the handle with a plastic bag because the seat belt would occasionally foul on it. I used a heavy wall bag that package my dog's leather crack sticks chew treats.

:cheers: vic

boatworksjon

Dry Chemical * Leaves a corrosive residue that is difficult to get off. A,B,C, rated. Lowest cost.

Halotron * So it doesn't leave a corrosive residue. B,C, rated. Cost more.

Carbon Dioxide * No residue. B,C, rated. cost more.

I use 5lb halotron behind the passenger seat.

pfflyer

My T1N extinguisher mounts in the OEM position of the driver side (left) footwell rear area. I needed to cover the handle with a plastic bag because the seat belt would occasionally foul on it. I used a heavy wall bag that package my dog's leather crack sticks chew treats.

:cheers: vic
Loading a box caused a discharge of the one in the rear. I am going to fab a better design for a mount verses the plastic Kidd one. I have seen the passenger side mounts and think that would add time and\or increase exposure to access it if I have a fire or am a witness to fire.

Last edited:

pfflyer

Dry Chemical * Leaves a corrosive residue that is difficult to get off. A,B,C, rated. Lowest cost.

Halotron * So it doesn't leave a corrosive residue. B,C, rated. Cost more.

Carbon Dioxide * No residue. B,C, rated. cost more.

I use 5lb halotron behind the passenger seat.
After my discharge mentioned above I was concerned about that so I called Kidd and according to them it is mildly corrosive when water is present. I was able to vacuume most of the residue and and plan on a better cleaning this fall but in case of a fire if both extinguishers aren’t enough and water is needed as well, corrosion would be the least of my worries.

mattieb

Keep in mind that there was a recall on the Kidde units a year or so ago. I had 4 extinguishers spread among my cars and had to send all 4 back.

I have mine sitting in the driver's door, where a large bottle would sit. I plan on mounting it to the driver's seat base when I find the time.

Top Bottom