Window source for 2006 Airstream Interstate Driver's side middle fixed window?

airsailor

Hello Brain Trust!

An unfortunate accident with a neighboring business' fork lift destroyed the driver's side middle window on my 2006 Airstream Interstate. This is the fixed piece of black glass that is secured over the sheet metal with four screws and some adhesive. Airstream is telling me they no longer supply it, and pointed me to Parkin Accessories, who now tells me they don't have it either.

Does anyone know of a source for this piece of glass? Thanks in advance!

Paul V
NYC

+1 That's a bummer.

Out of curiosity. Does that window hinge at the top and tilt out at the bottom?

If all else fails, check whether a plastics shop can shape/form a Lexan replacement for you. I believe it would be stiff enough. The material is available in dark tint. Eventually Lexan may scratch, but it is generally pretty tough stuff.

:cheers: vic

airsailor

Yup, real bummer. Window is just decorative and is screwed and glued into place directly over the sheet metal, so no, it doesn't tilt out -- it is purely for looks. I find it hard to believe that a glass shop can make this so it's a good match. It is not a flat piece, but is slightly curved. Correct me if I'm wrong.... I will continue to search the interwebs for a while, but I am now thinking the thing to do is remove both this window and the other fixed, decorative one in front of it, and get the whole side of the van repainted.... Argh!

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Try searching "bonded windows" on European websites.

In Europe, some tourist bus type Sprinters have larger aftermarket fixed windows installed. These windows are glued to the van body (like the newer NCV3 Sprinters) and do not have a gasket around the edges of the windows. These windows reach to the top of the vans where roof is attached (top of sliidng door), and can go wider to the edges of the sliding door and the van body panels.

There are also windows which fit the original window insert areas but are bonded rather than installed with gaskets. These bonded windows might be installed only from the exterior and not need interior access.

Not clear whether these bonded windows can also be used over sheetmetal where the window sheetmetal.has Not been removed (is the window insert sheetmetal flush with the body sheetmetal to prevent a recessed bonded window?).

I think these bonded windows are a cleaner look.

https://www.vanwindowsdirect.co.uk/c...SPRINTER-TO-06

Note:

http://www.sgi-glass.co.uk/products-...um-wheel-base/

MERCEDES Sprinter 1995 to 2005

The Mercedes Sprinter glass is split into two versions. The first version is the 1995 to 2005. The glass SGI Ltd manufactures can be either bonded or rubber gasket mounted.

We stock the bonded glass and the rubber gasket type is made to order. There are two types of bonded glass, the first type are glasses that bond to the rebated area of the vehicle ( known as an insert glass). The second type is a glass that fits over the aperture and is a larger glass than the insert type. This larger glass is known as a panoramic style of glass.

[End Quote]

For VW campers, a UK company makes dummy bonded windows which go over the sheetmetal.

http://leisurevehiclewindows.co.uk/

VW T5/T6 Rear Quarter Dummy/Blanking Glass
“Total Black Out”
“Fully Screen printed on inside”.”No need to paint or spray the panel”
“even when fitting them to a white van, you wont be able see the paint work behind the window
Saves Time – Saves Money!
Available for both sides of Rear Quarters

Top Bottom