• Start date
D

Deleted member 50714

https://www.etags.com/blog/registration-renewals-and-vehicle-recalls/

eTags Blog
Registration Renewals and Vehicle Recalls: What You Need to Know
June 24, 2015
Registration Renewals and Vehicle Recalls: What You Need to Know

Did you know that in 2014, there were almost 64 million vehicles recalled due to safety issues?! According to NHTSA, the amount of vehicles recalled in 2014 outnumbered the past three years combined. To add to this, in 2014 there were over 100 deaths nationally due to vehicle malfunctions.

Recently, both General Motors (GM) and Honda had major vehicle recalls. GM recalled 1.6 million vehicles due to faulty engine switches. Honda, on the other hand, recalled 34 million vehicles in the U.S. and an additional 7 million worldwide due to faulty airbags.

The RECALL Act

The RECALL Act, also known as the Repairing Every Car to Avoid Lost Lives Act, was proposed by two United States Senators and works to ensure that State agencies:

Are in compliance with safety recall requirements through whichever agency is responsible for motor vehicle registrations
Will notify motor vehicle owners of all recalls by certain deadlines dependent on the varied vehicle registration cycles.
States that are not in compliance with safety recall requirements may have 5% of their federal highway funds withheld by the Secretary of Transportation if the bill passes.

The RECALL Act also requires that vehicle owners who have been informed by their state of residence that a recall for their vehicle is underway, have the necessary repairs made before the registration can be renewed. However, there are exceptions to this rule if:

The owner of the vehicle did not receive proper notification from the state of the recall to allow them enough time to have the issue fixed before their registration expires.
The manufacture of the motor vehicle has not provided the owner a fair opportunity to finish the recall repairs due to a shortage in parts or qualified technicians to complete the work required.
The owner of the vehicle can successfully show the state that there is a valid reason as to why they didn’t have a reasonable opportunity to get all the recall repairs completed in which case they would be provided a temporary, 60 day tag.
What Should You Do if You Receive a Recall Notification?

If the RECALL Act passes and your vehicle has been recalled, you would receive a notification from your state’s DMV, RMV, tax collector, or other agency in charge of motor vehicle registrations. You would need to contact your local dealership right away to set up a time to get your vehicle repaired. It would also be essential that you follow any interim safety instructions provided by the vehicle’s manufacture. Under the RECALL Act, you would not be able to renew your motor vehicle registration if your recalled vehicle has not been properly repaired.

When you have the recalled area(s) of your vehicle repaired at the dealership, all parts and labor will be free. You would need to notify your vehicle’s manufacturer if your assigned dealership does not provide the repairs as instructed by the recall letter. If the dealership had not facilitated the repairs by the time you need to renew your registration, you would be allowed to renew your registration but you would still be driving a potentially unsafe car. Excellent reason to be a pain in the dealers a**!

Important Information for All Car Owners

If you need to file a complaint regarding safety issues with your vehicle, visit the NHTSA’s ODI division.

If you would like to check to see if your vehicle is currently on a recall list, you can visit SafeCar.gov’s look-up page. You will need to provide your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). You can find your VIN on your vehicle’s windshield, your registration, and possibly your insurance card.

You can also visit the manufactures site directly to see if they have posted anything about recalls to vehicles in their production line:

sprint2freedom

2008 NCV3 170ext
Under the RECALL Act, you would not be able to renew your motor vehicle registration if your recalled vehicle has not been properly repaired.
And if no parts or appointments are available?
Or if you're hundreds of miles from the nearest dealer ... I guess you'd either have to drive to one without registration, or pay to have it towed?

Well-intentioned nonsense.

If this kind of program is even necessary, why not nudge people by offering a small discount on registration fees for vehicles with no unperformed recalls- instead of utterly preventing people from registering their vehicles?

It'd be one thing if this was only upon transfer of ownership. But vehicle registration renewals are one of those things that can creep up on you when life starts to get real busy.. just when you don't have time for this kind of :turd:.

D

Deleted member 50714

Or if you're hundreds of miles from the nearest dealer ... I guess you'd either have to drive to one without registration, or pay to have it towed?

If this kind of program is even necessary, why not nudge people by offering a small discount on registration fees for vehicles with no unperformed recalls- instead of utterly preventing people from registering their vehicles?

It'd be one thing if this was only upon transfer of ownership. But vehicle registration renewals are one of those things that can creep up on you when life starts to get real busy.. just when you don't have time for this kind of :turd:.

I share your angst brother!

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Well, your original post was speaking in/of 2015...

Somehow i suspect the act didn't pass (or even see the light of day/debate).

I *am* slightly curious to hear who the 2 senators were...

--dick

D

Deleted member 50714

--dick
Me too.

HarrisG

You've hit the nail on the head with the last sentence. This is exactly what I'm expecting happening to me sooner or later. These things never seem such a big deal until crap hits the fan, so to speak.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
me said:
--dick
Me too.
Now that i'm re-united with my laptop, 5 seconds of Googling found:
sponsors: U.S. Senators Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) and Edward J. Markey (D-Mass.)

bill text: https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/senate-bill/617/text

"reasons accepted for non-compliance":
(*) the owner had not been notified of the recall before being notified of the need to renew;
(*) the manufacturer, through a local dealership, has not given the owner reasonable opportunity to complete a recall remedy because of a shortage of parts or qualified labor; or
(*) the owner demonstrates to the state that he or she has not had reasonable opportunity to complete the recall remedies, in which case the state may grant a temporary registration for 60 days during which time the owner must complete the recall remedies.

... the only penalties in the bill are a 5% reduction in federal highway funds from a state that is not in compliance

...since the Prez's proposed budget knocks the highway fund percentage waaaayyy down, the above percentage kick is relatively tiny.

Since the bill failed to pass in the 2015-2016 Congress session, it's probably now moot.
refs: https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/senate-bill/617
https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/senate-bill/617/text
AutoNation abandons pledge to finish recalls before selling cars
CEO says he doubts President-elect Trump will push the issue

--dick :popcorn:

D

Deleted member 50714

I read somewhere CARB (state level) has implemented the rule.

D

Deleted member 50714

I'm currently writing my state elected official insisting he author legislation requiring all out of state vehicles visiting California to provide proof of CARB compliance certificate.

Last edited by a moderator:

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
I'm currently writing my state elected official insisting he author legislation requiring all out of state vehicles visiting California to provide proof of CARB compliance certificate.
You tattle tail, and here I was going to bring in my Ford pick up truck with a special coal rolling tune into CA. :bash:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_coal

Rolling coal is a form of conspicuous air pollution, for entertainment or for protest.[3] Some drivers intentionally trigger coal rolling in the presence of hybrid vehicles (when it is nicknamed "Prius repellent") to taunt their drivers, who are perceived as being environmentally motivated in their vehicle choice. Coal rolling may also be directed at foreign cars, bicyclists, protesters, and pedestrians.[5][6][7][8] Practitioners cite "American freedom" and "a stand against rampant environmentalism" as reasons for coal rolling. :smirk:

Elsewhere in the world

The practice of rolling coal has not spread enough to justify legislation outside of the United States.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWrCRPldVZk

Last edited:

Top Bottom