Size of o-ring on injector fuel return fitting (leak off pipe)

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
I have a metric o-ring kit, van is still remote, was wondering if someone knew the exact o-ring dimensions of the leak off fitting that clips into the top of the injectors (2005 T1N).
I know I can get a whole 5 fitting assembly, but that seems wasteful when only the o is missing.

Tooth Fairy

Away with the fairies.
The problem with O ring kits is that most are not fuel resistant, they are for general hydraulic use only and may perish rapidly with fuel.

The problem with O ring kits is that most are not fuel resistant, they are for general hydraulic use only and may perish rapidly with fuel.
I agree.

Buy the replacement parts kit and keep/carry the old ones as spares.

I realize that doesn't answer the original question.

vic

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
Point taken....but....As diesel is less volatile then gas, I have used these o rings before in various diesel applications, I don't have the package I front of me, the leak off pressure is low as well. Also if I had the dimensions I could just buy some appropriate ones. + apparently the final connect is awkward so if I avoid it and make a splice I'm going backwards. I've got too much stuff lying around already......I want less stuff.
Anyone care to mic the o rings they have on hand.?

Last edited:

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
Great thanks. I have found the part number for those as well....having trouble finding the part number for the o rings on the 5 cyl engine.

Great thanks. I'm 2005 T1N.
Please take the time to do this.

20170727 Edit:Add your vehicle info to all your posts automatically!!!!!It will help you to get answers. Thank you.

The most direct method is probably in your "Details".
In the Blue bar above click "Quick Links".
Scroll down to the "Custom User Title" box.
Click in that box and type in at least your Sprinter MY (Model Year).
Scroll down to the "Save Changes" box. Click on that and you are done.
Whatever you enter will be displayed at the bottom of your member icon.

The other place is in your "Signature".
In the Blue bar above click "Quick Links".
Select "Edit Signature".
Scroll down to the text box which looks like what you use to add a post to the forum. Type in at least your Sprinter MY (Model Year).
Scroll down to "Preview Signature". If the preview looks like what you want, scroll down to "Save Signature", click on that and you're done.
Whatever you enter will be displayed at the bottom of every one of your posts.
(If signatures don't display go back to "Quick Links" and "Edit Options" to allow signature display.)

:cheers: vic

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
I can measure my 5 banger o rings for you tomorrow
Any chance of getting the info Jack?
Thanks to Smiller for the specs on the v6 injector leak off o rings, but as far as I can tell that injector is very different from the T1N injector. Not to say its leak off fitting isn't identical, just that I don't know.

jackbombay

2003 158" shc
I thought I had some of my original plastic injector fuel return fittings, but I don't.

I did pull of of the return line fittings and measured the OD of the O-ring while on the fitting, 5.75mm, as it was is compressed and heated while in place the "relaxed" size is probably a touch bigger. I would have been fine to pull an o-ring off my old fuel return assembly for more measurements, but I don't really want to dig it out of its groove and risk damaging it.

Stumbled upon this.

The dealer sells them, about a dollar or less a pop.

O rings
A 000 078 9381
Dennis
Finally success! I've been fighting the leaky return lines for at least six months...when it first started I bought a kit of lines and fittings from a ebay source...still leaked some and I noticed that the fitting would just slide into the top of the injectors. That kit used plastic fittings so I bought a set that used metal fittings....same result and actually started leaking worse! Bought the orings that AdrianD recommended from another ebayer in the UK and problem solved! I actually had to "pop" the fittings into the injectors...thanks for everyones help...hope this helps someone else...
Bosch Common Rail Injector Leak Off Connector O Rings / Rubber Seals x 6
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271942802953

It's in the UK but shipping is quick and cheap.
Well i went and bought a replacement return line kit just to get an o-ring. Bought an aftermarket set up used for the duramax bosch injector set up. Was told by Williams Diesel out of Ocala that the bosch part number for return line set up on the Merc/dura match up......so in theory they should be the same. Couldn't buy anything for merc though as it is apparently only sold in europe(replacement kits). Gotta go through the dealer here in the states. That's what i was told anyway.

I mention in theory because the replacement kit i bought the o-rings look super small. Granted its been a minute since i had my head under the hood with the merc stuff in my hand, but the parts just struck me as small when i opened the package. Either way this is the most expensive o-ring i have ever bought.....bought the kit just to measure the o-ring. So now i'm hoping the parts i got are the right size and i'll have em on hand should i need one, or more. Plus now i can go source my own o-rings instead of having to pay the dealer 100+ bucks to get an o-ring. They don't sell them individually, or even in a 6 pack.

Sooooo, the o-rings i have in my possession, which are supposed to be replacement size for the Merc as Bosch part #'s where cross referenced through a Bosch dealer/servicer, are as follows. Keep in mind these are VERY small o-rings which are very squishy so getting exact measurements wasn't possible. I did the best i could with what i had so be aware that these are just best estimates of sizing.

OD----6mm or .236inch

ID----3.5mm or .137.5inch

thickness----1.20 to 1.25mm OR .047 to .049inch

This information is posted so others may utilize the sizing ESTIMATED to go find replacement o-rings without having to pay the dealer 100+ bucks for a complete return line kit. I can not vouch for the perfect validity of said sizing. Again, it is a best guess. At worst this will get you in the ballpark when looking into o-rings. When sourcing just o-rings they can be bought cheap to one can go up/down a size or 2 just to be sure they will have something in hand that will fit.

Please note: the info provided is only a courtesy of sharing collected knowledge for trying to source parts at a more reasonable price, or to not be beholden to the dealer for every little item. One must take this info with a grain of salt and not forget to perform their own due diligence. One CAN NOT take what i shared as the gospel because i have not be granted access to schematics for said o-rings. Just trying to add info the the site for future reference.

Should someone find the info to the incorrect please post up the reason why you feel it is and hopefully you will also have the corrected info to share with all of us.

EDIT----added info

Oh, and for anybody looking to replace the fuel return hose with oem stuff there is tons of it on ebay, amazon, and anywhere around the net. It is usually called cloth overbraid diesel leak off pipe/hose.... or some variant there of. You are looking for 3.2 or 3.5 ID hose/tubing.

PLUS, just found this out. The bosch siemens injectors seemingly use the same size o-rings on the fuel return. And there are tons of ebay sellers on ebay.uk that sell not only sets of o-rings, but also the brass connectors should one have the plastic ones and care to replace them as they are prone to cracking. Wish i would have found this out 2 weeks ago.

Not associated with this seller in any way....just ended up finding all the parts i was looking for(and couldn't find) with this seller on ebay.uk but don't forget there are lots of others on there, and around europe, that should be able to source your parts from.

dieselcomponentsukltd

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=371078#post371078

vic

Last edited:

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
Just FWIW I got the idea (for a few minutes) to repair my line (with only only a single cracked fitting) rather than replace the whole thing, then I read in some MB documentation that said a piezo injector (as on the V6 and I'd guess the I5?) can be destroyed instantly by loss of leak like pressure... making a failure of a home repair a potentially very costly event. I decided to just order the complete OEM assembly from Europarts.

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
Well that is about as helpful as it gets.
My kit has those sizes and I always thought they would never get used. Set is Buna-N which makes it acceptable in this application. Thanks to everyone for your input. Now I need to somehow find the time for the 300 mile round trip required to get my "new" van. Plus someone to drive the car.

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
Just FWIW I got the idea (for a few minutes) to repair my line (with only only a single cracked fitting) rather than replace the whole thing, then I read in some MB documentation that said a piezo injector (as on the V6 and I'd guess the I5?) can be destroyed instantly by loss of leak like pressure... making a failure of a home repair a potentially very costly event. I decided to just order the complete OEM assembly from Europarts.
Well I'm scuppered then as this van has run at least a few minutes without back pressure on the fuel return(or at least limited BP as the fitting was leaking hard). I'll let you know once I get the van.

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
Well I'm scuppered then as this van has run at least a few minutes without back pressure on the fuel return(or at least limited BP as the fitting was leaking hard). I'll let you know once I get the van.
Mine was spraying pretty badly too but apparently not enough to drop pressure enough to cause any problem so hopefully the same in your case.

Top Bottom