Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Talk

T1N Talk General Discussions related to T1N Sprinters.

Old 06-10-2017, 12:13 PM   #11
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,961 Times in 8,874 Posts
Default Re: Replacing alternator regulator 200A - recommended parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by autostaretx View Post

One (or, at least *i*) would hope that there's a dollop of "save the alternator from self-destruction" tossed in there, too.
There kinda is in that the alternator can only put out so much current. Some confuse vehicle alternator operation with electric motor operation. The use of wound coils make them appear similar, but they are different animals. In my experience vehicle alternator coils rarely cook or burn out. Most times loss of output relates to regulator problems or main diode failure(s).

Quote:
p.s. oh, well... at least it's nice to know that even a 90 amp alternator has 200-amp-rated diodes...

Are the main diodes in all of the different sized alternators identical?

The regulator diodes? They are to supply the field coils. They have nothing directly to do with the main diode bridge.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 06-10-2017 at 03:34 PM.
Aqua Puttana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 04:10 PM   #12
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 7,945 Times in 5,793 Posts

I fully agree that the regulator does not have (and/or does not adequately thermally couple to the metal) the "heat sink" capacity needed to handle the charging-current diodes. (egad... it's been 40 years since i last changed out an alternator's diodes... on my '65 VW squareback)

One of the service documents (which i can't find at the moment ) had a representative schematic of the regulator's internals.. and appeared to lump the diodes into the regulator's "box".

--dick
p.s. whilst trying to find the above-mentioned document, i re-read the service manual chapter on the "generator"... i was bemused to see that they said to replace the entire generator if the brushes were worn. ((since the brushes are running on slip rings, not a segmented commutator, they shouldn't wear. Thus, if they do, the slip rings are shot ((similar to rotor/brake pad arguments)))
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:17 PM   #13
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,961 Times in 8,874 Posts

Quote:

One of the service documents (which i can't find at the moment ) had a representative schematic of the regulator's internals.. and appeared to lump the diodes into the regulator's "box".
The brushes are often integral with the replacement regulator.

The excitation diodes are shown in the diagram here.
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...369#post511369

Basically the rated alternator output is a function of the magnetic field and the main coils. The coils don't overload like they do in an AC motor when too much load slows the rotation which affects the back EMF/impedance and results in overcurrent.

Quote:
p.s. whilst trying to find the above-mentioned document, i re-read the service manual chapter on the "generator"... i was bemused to see that they said to replace the entire generator if the brushes were worn. ((since the brushes are running on slip rings, not a segmented commutator, they shouldn't wear. Thus, if they do, the slip rings are shot ((similar to rotor/brake pad arguments)))
I don't necessarily agree with that maintenance concept.

The brushes are in continuous contact with the rotating slip rings. Friction wear and current will reduce the mass of the brushes over time. Some brushes are made harder than others. A soft brush can wear out long before the slip rings become un-serviceable.

If replacing the regulator assembly is desired (eg. - to renew soft brushes), a simple visual inspection of the collector rings should establish their condition.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 06-11-2017 at 01:31 AM.
Aqua Puttana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 12:18 AM   #14
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 7,945 Times in 5,793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post
I don't necessarily agree with that maintenance concept.
... ditto ...

--dick
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 12:43 AM   #15
Arnie_Oli

Given the cost of a new Bosch unit I am not jumping to swap the complete unit until I have to :)

It seems that the lifespans of the brushes with average use appears to be around ten years or so, obviously mileage may vary but that's how long a similar Bosch model unit lasted on my Golf before the brushes were worn low. I rather wish I had kept the spare bits when I had them but I wasn't familiar with rebuilding alternators back then. Love and learn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro which means I am probably lying under the van wishing I had a crawler and a large warm workshop I could park in.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:09 AM   #16
Arnie_Oli

Tada! Chores have arrived in the post

Love the handy label with the "no lay people, just workmen" logo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro which means I am probably lying under the van wishing I had a crawler and a large warm workshop I could park in.
Aqua Puttana (06-12-2017), autostaretx (06-12-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 12:55 PM   #17
Arnie_Oli

Got her out. Not much more life left in the brushes anyway. About twenty mins fudging around underneath keeping the alternator in situ and removing the regulator from underneath while my feet burn in the roaring sunshine.

Obviously disconnect battery...

Much easier if you use an E12 torx socket to move the supporting bracket for the turbo to one side.

Remove the bolts and screws shown, cover from alternator comes off and two needlessly hidden screws (WTF Bosch!) come out and the regulator slides out.

Just about to pop her back in and test now

Old 06-13-2017, 12:59 PM   #18
Arnie_Oli

On the subject of the bushings. This is what mine look like after ten years and 88k miles

There is a lip on them but judging by the depth of the parts only about half worn.

Aqua Puttana (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 01:25 PM   #19
Arnie_Oli

Rebuilt and back up and running. Tested at 13.84v when running. Much better.

Now to see if that parasitic load has gone.

Old 06-16-2017, 02:32 AM   #20
Guy de Verges

Hello Gentleman, what a great discussion. I am new to the sprinter world and have an issue with charging that i would like your input. I have a 2004/2005 Airstream westfalia van with 60,000 miles. recently on the way home from a trip the battery light came on ans would go off an on every few minutes. I pulled over and found that the charge voltage to the battery varied from 13.8 volts(battery light off) to 11.3 volts (battery light on). The electrical system would not charge so i crept home using as little power as i could.

I has heard that the voltage regulator was often an issue so i ordered one from amazon using the correct part number if found on the westfalia group page. I received it and put it in today. fit just fine and looked the same as the original bosch but was made in china. now the alternator is putting out too much volts 15.1 to 17.1.

Should i assume that i got the wrong part and just order the bosch part? Is it safe to drive the van over charging like that? Dash warming light came on when i tried to drive the van.

Thank you very much.

Guy in Tulsa, OK
Guy de Verges is offline   Reply With Quote