iCarSoft MB II users group discussion thread

rlg999

2005 3500 Long/Hi Camper
Write-up: Guide for T1N Owners: iCarSoft MB II Diagnostic Tool

Hey guys.
I recently bought an iCarsoft MBII scanner tool to look at some codes on my Sprinter. I did a quick review of a couple of the features and put up on youtube today. I know, I know, it isn't a $$$$ factory unit, Snap On, DAD, etc.... So please don't slam me on that. It is a simple, no frills, basic scanner. It reset my tcm module, allowing me to do more testing on my transmission. It seems to be able to read the SRS codes, Shifter assembly codes, Common Rail injection info, as well as a bunch of other stuff. If anyone is considering one, it isn't too bad. It's no professional level scanner of course, but for what it is and what I paid, less than $175, it's not too bad. I tried out the iCarsoft i980 unit, and it wouldn't do what I needed, so I returned it for this unit. I've got no interest in the company, or other biases, just putting some info on here to share.
Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYNT_Jv8_o0&feature=youtu.be
Added:

Some recent good tips. :thumbup:

Catching up, I see a couple of posts I missed.

Remember this is a chinese tool. User friendly its not.

To properly reveal everything it can do, you must check every module under as many conditions as you can. In other words, experiment.

Some modules can only be accessed properly key on, engine off. Most don't care. One that comes to mind: abs. I'll deal with that in a moment

(Everything I say is for an unflashed ecm from a 2005, I have no idea if the recall flash disables this tool functionality, I ignored the recall)

LIVE DATA: the obd function DATA STREAM when key is on, running or not, provides load value, engine coolant temperature, intake manifold pressure, rpm, vehicle speed, intake air temp, air flow rate, time since engine start, distance travelled with mil activated, FUEL RAIL PRESSURE IN PSI, lamda for oxygen sensor, oxygen sensor, distance travelled since DTCs cleared, barometric pressure, and control module voltage. I can only guess many of you just haven't tried OBD.

ABS: when updating the tool, I chose to not delete 11.11 and the tool happily installed v11.20 alongside it. I can choose between each version on startup.

11.11: abs will report pressure sensor, voltage, parking brake switch open or closed, brake switch open or closed, stop lamp switch open or closed, STEERING ANGLE, and steering angle sensor calibration (under STATUSES) I'm not moving my van right now to verify wheel speed, its in mph here and is available thru other modules in 11.20 anyway.

ABS CLEAR FAULT MEMORY takes a minimum of TWO tries to clear faults. I have also observed this clearing TCM, two resets necessary.

The only other useful thing on 11.11 is KI instrument cluster, so I spend no time in 11.11, my 11.20 resets abs for me.

ABS CANNOT BE ACCESSED WHEN VEHICLE IS MOVING and the one time I did it put my trans in neutral in traffic requiring a van restart to move forward again

11.20 a whole host of modules here, with lots of caveats. Some modules report wheel speed in rpm for example, buried in the submenus. I always access MANUALLY and choose each module, not AUTOMATIC.

-CDI never works for me anymore unless I access CR COMMON RAIL first. Basically the same module, with slightly different menu options

ABS: the ESP module gives the same data as ABS in 11.11 and will likely reset the abs system here (it did for me, key on, not running)

I CAN'T ACCESS ABS UNDER 11.20, THIS MAY BE THE SOURCE OF THE COMPLAINTS. Use ESP under 11.20 or use 11.11, despite what they call it, it does the same thing on my van. Abs under 11.20 also doesn't have live data (called ACTUAL VALUES in ESP)

This is just a few points. Have the tool? Access every module MANUALLY and poke around, and if something doesn't work, try again. This is already a long post. As for live data other than OBD, each module provides a little different version of live data. Explore

Have your copy of the Sprinter Codes book handy to explain the myriad of codes this tool will report (but not have a definition for) remember if you don't like the MBII you can always pay a mercedes dealership every time you want to grab a code or reset a module [emoji23]

Edit: when I'm in a rush, I don't even check error codes, I just access and clear every module without looking in 11.20, usually makes my sprinter happy for a time again.

IF SOMETHING IS REALLY BROKEN IT WON'T RESET IT (rather it does reset, but the broken part immediately throws a code again)

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Re: iCarsoft MBII diagnostic tool review

As it happens, the DAD *is* an (old) Carsoft product, which sold for about $1500 if purchased from Carsoft.

The DAD itself was grey-market imported from Europe after some fleet owner stopped using them for servicing.

Since then, CarSoft went through a few ups and downs in terms of customer service here in the US, i'm happy to hear they're back and rolling :thumbup:

Visiting iCarsoft's website makes it quite apparent this company isn't the same CarSoft company (or continent) who built the DAD.
So i can't help but get the feeling they're hoping to confuse people with a similar name.

...that said, if the device works: use it.
I have a DAD, but a stand-alone (no laptop needed) Sprinter-capable device is highly attractive.

If you have the MB "datacard" for your Sprinter, the "903.6" appears as the first numbers in the loooong identifier number.
Thus my "external VIN": WDRPD144355821254 has an MB-internal number: WDR90367115821254 6
Note the "9036" in that 2nd number.

--dick

Last edited:

Fixitman

2006 T1N 158in SHR passgr

I just ordered one. The compatible Sprinter models are Sprinter - 901.6, 902.6, 903.6, 904.6, 905.6, 690, 906
I don't know what those model numbers mean or how to tell which is mine.
Still, I bought it. I desperately need to be able to reset my TCM when it occasionally locks into 2nd gear limp mode. I'm really hoping this will do the trick. Standard OBDII readers will clear the engine light, but won't reset the TCM. I don't what to get stuck in 2nd gear during my holiday travels.
Really hoping this works. Thanks for the review.

rlg999

2005 3500 Long/Hi Camper

That's what mine was doing. It worked great to reset the codes I was having for speed sensors. Just select the one with all the 901, 902, 903, etc selections. I think the decimal numbers represent cargo, passenger, cab and chassis, etc... Just make sure you have the latest 11.20 software. You can update online if you need to. I hope it works for you too!

I just ordered one. The compatible Sprinter models are Sprinter - 901.6, 902.6, 903.6, 904.6, 905.6, 690, 906
I don't know what those model numbers mean or how to tell which is mine.
Still, I bought it. I desperately need to be able to reset my TCM when it occasionally locks into 2nd gear limp mode. I'm really hoping this will do the trick. Standard OBDII readers will clear the engine light, but won't reset the TCM. I don't what to get stuck in 2nd gear during my holiday travels.
Really hoping this works. Thanks for the review.

rlg999

2005 3500 Long/Hi Camper

The seller I got mine from was on Ebay. Quickshipautoparts is the vendor ID. Matt is the guy I dealt with. Very helpful guy.

glvu

Hey guys.
. I tried out the iCarsoft i980 unit, and it wouldn't do what I needed, so I returned it for this unit. I've got no interest in the company, or other biases, just putting some info on here to share.
Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYNT_Jv8_o0&feature=youtu.be
Is this the one you bought or is it the one you returned. It has i980 in the product name.

MERCEDES BENZ SPRINTER Diagnostic Scanner Tool SRS ABS ENGINE iCarsoft MBII i980

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-BE...:g:mEAAAOSwhcJWIJUO&item=171917830941&vxp=mtr

rlg999

2005 3500 Long/Hi Camper

Yes, that is the correct one and the same seller I got mine from. It is more rectangular and has a larger screen.

This is the one I returned, it has a more squarish appearance:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-BE...b430d62&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=6&sd=171917830941

Is this the one you bought or is it the one you returned. It has i980 in the product name.

MERCEDES BENZ SPRINTER Diagnostic Scanner Tool SRS ABS ENGINE iCarsoft MBII i980

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-BE...:g:mEAAAOSwhcJWIJUO&item=171917830941&vxp=mtr

Last edited:

I am curious if this will access the A/C or the Central Locking System. If you have any experience with accessing either of these modules I would be glad to know.

Thanks,

John

rlg999

2005 3500 Long/Hi Camper

Yeah, this is tool is made in China.

As it happens, the DAD *is* an (old) Carsoft product, which sold for about $1500 if purchased from Carsoft.

The DAD itself was grey-market imported from Europe after some fleet owner stopped using them for servicing.

Since then, CarSoft went through a few ups and downs in terms of customer service here in the US, i'm happy to hear they're back and rolling :thumbup:

Visiting iCarsoft's website makes it quite apparent this company isn't the same CarSoft company (or continent) who built the DAD.
So i can't help but get the feeling they're hoping to confuse people with a similar name.

...that said, if the device works: use it.
I have a DAD, but a stand-alone (no laptop needed) Sprinter-capable device is highly attractive.

If you have the MB "datacard" for your Sprinter, the "903.6" appears as the first numbers in the loooong identifier number.
Thus my "external VIN": WDRPD144355821254 has an MB-internal number: WDR90367115821254 6
Note the "9036" in that 2nd number.

--dick

rlg999

2005 3500 Long/Hi Camper

On the central locking system, it will only let you look at the module number, check fault codes, or reset fault codes. It will not allow you to actuate anything. On the heating/air conditioning screen, it will let you view several parameters. I'm attaching pics at the bottom to let you see what it does. You can't modify anything, just view their status.
I'll send another message with some more pics. I can only attach 5 at a time.

I am curious if this will access the A/C or the Central Locking System. If you have any experience with accessing either of these modules I would be glad to know.

Thanks,

John

Attachments

BenJohnson

2006 2500 T1N

I just got my MB-II scanner today. For a sprinter scanner this is great. Easy to use, can check and clear fault codes on a bunch of the subsystems, and can see live values on a number of the subsystems - its a winner!

Arnie_Oli

Does this kit have the ability to code to add an auto cruise addon or is it limited to trouble codes and data readouts?

BenJohnson

2006 2500 T1N

Just trouble codes, reset codes, live data and freeze frame.

No features to trigger door locks, reset adaptive shifts, set steering angle, etc.

srmpf

interesting - the device shows the transmission temperature. Means that there is a temp sensor in there and since its ODBII, you should be able to read it with the scangauge.

BenJohnson

2006 2500 T1N

Yes there is a temp sensor in the tranny, but the TCU is *not* OBD. It is K-line. Your scanner must be able to read sprinter mercedes specific sub-computers. A generic OBD reader will not do it.

srmpf

got mine in the mail today. bummer, doesn't read ABS specific codes (which my Autel does)

it seems you can only get data stream in the transmission module. So no rail pressure or anything related is available. Is this what others have found?

Last edited:

BenJohnson

2006 2500 T1N

got mine in the mail today. bummer, doesn't read ABS specific codes (which my Autel does)
Yeah, I have the same. It cannot read codes from ABS - bummer. They have on their website "BS/AIRBAG:Diagnoses ABS/ SRS system codes, Reads/clears codes of ABS/SRS system and turns off ABS/SRS warning light, Performs bi-directional tests such as cycling the ABS solenoids, Retrieves ABS/SRS ECU information etc." I will be sending them an email note, please do the same. DONT MENTION DODGE. They got all twisted when I told them I had a dodge sprinter when I was inquiring about config files.

it seems you can only get data stream in the transmission module. So no rail pressure or anything related is available. Is this what others have found?
As for live data, yes it can read a numer of subsystems, Here are the ones I am getting:
* Common Rail Diesel Injection
* Electronic Selector Lever
* Electronic Transmission Control
* Heating Control
* Electronic Stability Program

Are you sure you are using the right configuration? Sprinter -> V11.20 -> 901.6... -> Diesel Engine

Last edited:

I am using the same configuration but i don't get an option for data stream in anything except the tranny module. Did you have to run a software update or anything?

Last edited:

Top Bottom