• droning

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • none

Votes: 21 12.0%
  • all 3

Votes: 44 25.1%

• Total voters

zither99

There are three typical noises that we think are not normal for new 4x4 Sprinters.'

Let me add, these are the exact same wheels/tires that came off of my 2014 2wd sprinter and have been mounted on the 4wd. The humming noise for me was present from new, on factory continental tires. Therefore, this is definitely not tire noise.

I seem to have all of them. They are:
  1. Clunking
    [youtube]m5Ir6YeaivU[/youtube]
  2. Whirring/humming/oscillation
    [youtube]gPrG2aLMz8Q[/youtube]
    [youtube]UnJLIulhvyo[/youtube]
  3. Rear leaf spring drone @ 2000-2200rpm
    sorry, no video. An owner will know when they have it.

Lets Check whos got what.

Last edited:

moondawg14

1. "Clunk" when lifting or applying accelerator is a common driveline problem, especially in 4wd vehicles with a lot of driveline lash to take up every time there is a reversal in vehicle acceleration. It is annoying, but harmless. And sadly, not much you can do about it. If you lift your foot more slowly from the accelerator, does it go away?

2. From the videos, I would peg that noise as tire noise, especially since it is mostly drowned out by engine noise, and more noticeable when decelerating. Are the tires a M+S treadpattern, or a more aggressive all-terrain tread? They sound a lot like the BFG All-Terrrains I used to have on my Nissan. A little noisy, but great AT tires.

KentuckyWR

Mine has the droning sound @ ~2100 RPM but only under a load/going up a hill. It doesn't clunk . . . or at least not yet. Mine was manufactured in May 2015 and has just under 500 miles on it.

Sprinter SS

I hear a distinct "ting", as if it's from the driveshaft or slack in the drive line. I know it's basic but did you check the fill of the transfer case fluid?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

JFC

I have the 2200 droning, but it's much better since we added 2 banks of deep cycle on the rear axel.

The annoying noise come from the top rear of the sliding door, kind of squeeking

zither99

I have the 2200 droning, but it's much better since we added 2 banks of deep cycle on the rear axel.

The annoying noise come from the top rear of the sliding door, kind of squeeking
For the sliding door squeeking you can adjust the bumper by screwing it in or out. I've had great success eliminating squeeking of the sliding door by cleaning the door seal all around and the metal it touches....

JFC

For the sliding door squeeking you can adjust the bumper by screwing it in or out. I've had great success eliminating squeeking of the sliding door by cleaning the door seal all around and the metal it touches....
I unsrew the rubber bumper 2 turn and voilà, no more noise !

Merci !

zither99

welp, dealer said clunking is normal, as is the whirring. They're spending time on the droning, maybe they'll fix that.

KentuckyWR

Let us know what they say about the droning sound. It is obviously some sort of resonance related to the rear drive train components.

zither99

Let us know what they say about the droning sound. It is obviously some sort of resonance related to the rear drive train components.
Just found out today they ordered replacement rear springs. I'm not sure if just with vibration dampers or for higher tonnage like was done for a forum member from Switzerland.

Later this week I'm meeting some representative from MB to voice my other concerns. Primarily the loud drivetrain whirring noise and occasional clunking.

KentuckyWR

Good info. I've already warned my dealership that mine is coming their way once I get a few more miles on it. I just broke 900 miles so I figure I'll run a couple more tanks of fuel through the thing and drop it off for them to tinker with. I have very little if any "clunking" but the droning sound at 2100 RPM is very annoying as that is where it runs going ~55-60mph. Not a problem at all on the interstate or parkway . . . but around town and on the US highways it gets to be a bother.

Check out the post in this thread by Eric Experience:
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43662

kawaianer

Just found out today they ordered replacement rear springs. I'm not sure if just with vibration dampers or for higher tonnage like was done for a forum member from Switzerland.

Later this week I'm meeting some representative from MB to voice my other concerns. Primarily the loud drivetrain whirring noise and occasional clunking.
Hope it all works out for ur Van too, keep me posted

KentuckyWR

Finally took mine to MB Service at our local dealer regarding the droning sound @ 2100 RPM. They noted the sound as well but stated that all of the new 4x4s have this issue. I told them that with a couple dirt bikes, gear, toolboxes, and another person the sound almost went away. They said that this vehicle was designed to have a load.

At this point, I'd say 75% of the time I'm driving the Sprinter it will have a load and under those conditions it is much more acceptable. I left the van there for almost 4 days and during that period an MB Service Rep from Chicago was in their shop. Evidently, he also stated that all of the new 4x4s have the droning sound at about the same RPM range.

I can see that if it is a driveline angle issue, that making adjustments when the vehicle is empty to get rid of the sound may cause the sound to be heard at a different RPM range when is is appropriately loaded. Who knows . . .

Also, I asked them to show me how to "consistently" put the van in 4x4. I had them demonstrate. In the end, their "methods" we no more consistent than all the approaches I've tried. They did say that it would engage better over time. Hmmmmm . . . They also stated that it is fine to engage while rolling when under 10mph. That just makes me cringe.

They addressed all the other issues I had (nothing major) and they enabled the fader on the Audio 15 head unit!

See you on the trail!

justimaginejack

@zither99,
Call Mercedes Benz of Westminster in Colorado and ask for Paul. He knows how to repair this. And the parts are on a 2-3 month back order. Mercedes Knows what's going on, they just don't want to advertise it. And when all of the same 4x4 parts are back ordered for months, you would think they would start training people on it. The techs went to training in Georgia last week. Hopefully it helped. This can be fixed!
If the transfer case is bad, the replacement is a new part and is back ordered. Part is 6k, so mind your warranty. They refused to give me the warranty they promised and stated they would offer me a 4K settlement. That doesn't make my van work... best of luck to you.

xbluewaterx

I will scan and post my work order from Mercedes of Westminster. I just got mine back after waiting a little over a month for a new driveshaft. So far the clunk seems to be gone and the vibration/drone around 2krpm seems to be much better.

@zither99,
Call Mercedes Benz of Westminster in Colorado and ask for Paul. He knows how to repair this. And the parts are on a 2-3 month back order. Mercedes Knows what's going on, they just don't want to advertise it. And when all of the same 4x4 parts are back ordered for months, you would think they would start training people on it. The techs went to training in Georgia last week. Hopefully it helped. This can be fixed!
If the transfer case is bad, the replacement is a new part and is back ordered. Part is 6k, so mind your warranty. They refused to give me the warranty they promised and stated they would offer me a 4K settlement. That doesn't make my van work... best of luck to you.
Are you saying most major dealers have sent their techs in for training on this exact issue? So contacting the dealer now shouldn't be an issue?

justimaginejack

Are you saying most major dealers have sent their techs in for training on this exact issue? So contacting the dealer now shouldn't be an issue?
All I know is that before the Georgia Training, there was no formal training on the 4x4 at all. The Georgia training program was for 4x4 and other updates. I do not believe they sent all techs, each place sent one from what I understand and some dealers who only have one, did not go. It is not a matter of being trained on it, it is a matter of being practiced at doing it and figuring out the problem. The british guy at Westminster figured out something 4 other dealerships failed to see, because he knew what to look for. Not all sprinter technicians are educated. In my case the drive shaft had more than an inch of play and they were working on the back of the van not the front where the issue was. Techs are blinded by what they are told to do by some german engineer. It is like the blind leading the blind.

eric_f

I figured the problem was nearer the t-case because of the tone the clunk makes. It's from the part of the shaft before the isolator/bearing, the short one directly out of the t-case. I just can't pinpoint what exactly has the slop in the system. I'll go under there at some point and be a little more investigative.

dknightd

I don't have one of these vans yet. But I suspect some of this noise and vibration might in fact be "normal". It is a truck, not a Mercedes sedan.

eric_f

Alright, the van is back after 10 days at the dealer. Rear leaf springs were replaced with units that appear to sit the chassis slightly lower in the back and have cured all droning. The replacement springs have additional damping weight attached to them and have a different profile than the originals. It's leaps and bounds quieter at rural road speed not having that waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh around 55-60 :) The van also stands up less in the rear under braking and the associated driveline vibes felt through the pedal are gone.

According to the dealer it is open season on these springs for anyone with a 4x4 as Merc knows this is a problem. No longer is it necessary to open a "case" with MB as of May 2nd. I don't know the effects of these springs if you're going heavy because they seem a bit more compliant which may translate into a bad thing if you're scooting around full-up.

They also removed and reinstalled the driveshaft looking for the source of the clunk and couldn't find any red flags. Oddly enough, this had turned what was a loud clunk/clank into a much quieter sound that is more of a gear lashy lockup noise... which is fine and dandy by me.

Last edited:

Top Bottom