Instrument Cluster illumination problem

hulagun

Haulin' A** since 1974
Rats, squirrels or mice. German wire is clad in a material irresistable to rodents.

amagega

Have the same problem. I engine is not started, instrument lights come on and license plate lights come on. + and - dim and bright as normal. All signals work. Soon as I turn to start engine and it runs, all cluster lights go off as well as the license plate lights. All lights work when engine is off and key is on. But off when I start and run.

Help??

riskydnb

Have the same problem. I engine is not started, instrument lights come on and license plate lights come on. + and - dim and bright as normal. All signals work. Soon as I turn to start engine and it runs, all cluster lights go off as well as the license plate lights. All lights work when engine is off and key is on. But off when I start and run.

Help??
It may have to do with the clock spring and/or the fuse panel, both are under the steering wheel. FYI the clock spring is underneath the air bag and essentially allows the wires to the steering wheel to rotate as the steering wheel does. So maybe as the steering wheel is turning the clock spring wires arent getting a good connection. Or it could be the wires in the back of the fuse panel could be loose, which the clock spring wires are connected too as well...Also there is a thrust angle sensor which is underneath the clock spring that has a wire coming from it to the fuse panel but I dont think this would cause your symptoms.

skydiver007

DRB III Owner If You Need
I just had this EXACT SAME PROBLEM and I fixed it. Went to get the van inspected for tag renewal and Junior says that one of the tag lights doesn't work. Says he can fail it and I can fix and come back for additional charge or Junior has the bulb and he can fix. Chose door number 2 so I didn't have to come back.

Driving to SC early in the morning the next week and notice I don't have any instrument lights on the dash, ok who was the last idiot to work on van, Junior, and he replaced the license plate bulb. Experimenting, I find that if I turn key on without starting, lights work, but as soon as I start it, lights go out. Check license plate light and Junior has broken the bulb holder and tried to jam it in there. It is loose and could easily short out. License plate light is on the same circuit as the lights.

It did short out and the fuse is under the drivers seat. It is fuse number 8. I replaced mine and it shorted again and blew the fuse. Junior broke the license bulb bracket so bad it is shorting. Replaced the bracket and fuse and all is well.

Also, I could hear a relay clicking under the dash which is on the steering column. Check that relay. When I started the van, I could hear that relay activating.

Last edited:

mike01001

amagega were you able to resolve your problem? I am having the same problem. I don't think its the clock spring since the steering wheel is stationary during testing.

mawsea

sprinter guru
I finally fixed this problem. I did a lot of digging around and could not solve it until I replaced the daylight running light fuses (under the seat). At one point I had pulled all the fuses marked "day time driving lights" but never drove the van at night until months later and then I assumed it was a loose wire or a bad license plate bulb or burnt fuse. The last thing I tried was putting the daytime driving lights fuses back in which fixed my dash lights and license plate light. :thumbup:

Top Bottom