Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > Sprinter Talk

Sprinter Talk General discussion about anything and everything about Sprinters.
SubForums: Events Scanners

Old 12-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #81
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 14,239 Times in 9,040 Posts
Default Re: Really? How could anyone put gasoline in a diesel?

Confirmation that the fuel tank can be effectively emptied using the fuel pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishermunn View Post
i hate to admit it, but i pumped 10 gallons of gas into my almost empty fuel tank. fortunately, i caught it before i filled up. it was 9 pm and i was stuck. i did not want to start the engine under any circumstance. i remembered passing a wal-mart before taking the exit. i paid a customer of the station $20 to take and bring me back to fetch a siphoning pump and gas cans.
the pump did not work, but the hose proved invaluable.

i was able to fit it into the inside diameter of the high pressure fuel line before the fuel filter.
my wife was with me, thankfully. i held the line into the gas tank as she cycled the key on and off. the internal fuel pump shuts off after about 30 seconds. we would give another thirty seconds rest with the key off before turning the key back on. after pumping 10 gallons of gas out, i filled the tank with diesel. we then pumped another 1-2 gallons to hopefully get as much diesel in the fuel line. after re connecting the fuel line to the fuel filter i turned the key off and on 3 times to prime the filter. the truck started right up with no knocking or missing. it sounded normal. the only issue i experienced was a low battery charge from all the pumping. the next morning the truck took longer than normal to start, but corrected itself after the battery fully charged.

i did not measure the id of the fuel line. the pump was a hand operated pump with plunger. i kept it for gas transfer from lawn mowers and such. i keep it in the truck, just in case.
there were no leaks at the fuel line as the hose fit snugly.

i did have with me a pair of pliers designed to remove the clic clamps on the fuel line. they can be removed with pliers, but prove difficult to close back shut.

after feeling so dumb as to pump gas, i felt much better avoiding the expensive tow in, motel waiting for the dealership to open, and the huge expense of them dropping the fuel tank to achieve the same result.

hopefully, you never have to experience this, but one never knows.

oh yeah, i got a thumbs up from doktor a!

lance
The only thing that I would add for the procedure is that it might be worthwhile to grab a quart of TCW3 2 cycle oil while at the store getting fuel containers. That will help to offset any loss of lubricity which can be a factor of gasoline addition/contamination.

The thread is here. Thanks goes to Fishermunn.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23886

vic

Edit: Another thought...
The T1N fuel pump relay is under the driver seat. Someone with a bit of electrical knowledge and a jumper wire could pull the relay and run the fuel pump directly. That will avoid the fuel pump timeout and the need to cycle the key off and on.

The fuel relay location.

022FuseRelayBlocksUnderSeat.jpg

023a2004FuseBlock2PicNotes1.jpg

The fuel relay pin designations.

009PowerDistributionSm1Notes.jpg

Note: Have all hoses and containers in place before installing the jumper wire.

FuelPumpRelay_NCV3jumperT1N.jpg

Some NCV3 specific fuel pump relay info is here.
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/sho...624#post331624

P.S. - The Sprinter fuel pump to empty the contaminated tank idea will not work with OM612 diesel engine Sprinters. They have a mechanical low pressure fuel pump, not an electric pump.

A possible method to empty a tank without an OEM in tank electric fuel pump. (This may also work to empty a tank that has a dead in tank OEM fuel pump by pulling the fuel out past the non-working pump.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM Info
Here are 2 each inexpensive fuel pumps either of which which I believe can be used to empty the tank on your OM612 engine with mechanical suck pump. You may need to prime these pumps, but once they are pumping they should pretty much empty the tank. (Approx. 30 gallons per hour.)

W8sunjs Universal 12V Heavy Duty Electric Fuel Pump Metal Solid Petrol 12 Volts
http://www.amazon.com/W8sunjs-Univer...933891&sr=1-12

Hilitchi Universal 12V Low Pressure Gas Diesel Inline Electric Fuel Pump (Model:HEP-02A)
http://www.amazon.com/Hilitchi-Unive...934062&sr=1-30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post
A DIY fuel tank cleaning will not necessarily break the bank.

A basic list for DIY a Sprinter fuel tank empty process.

Fuel containment

Inexpensive blue tarp.
Large funnel with flex tube
Shop towels or paper towels
Disposable vinyl gloves. (optional)
Permanent marker to label containers.

5 gallon Homer buckets
http://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Home-...LHD2/100087613

5-gal. Homer Leakproof Lid
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leaktite-...PAIL/202264044

More expensive alternative:

5 gallon fuel containers (yellow is for diesel, but color is not critical).
Briggs & Stratton 5-Gallon Diesel Can
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Briggs-St...-Can/203165852
$17.98 ea.

Fuel Transfer

1/4" or 5/16" fuel hose to direct fuel from fuel pump hose to the fuel cans.
Hose barb joiner connector to connect to OEM fuel hose. (plastic or nylon will work fine.)

For NAS aka NAFTA 2004 and up (with in-tank electric fuel pump):
Short jumper with male slide-on connectors to jumper fuel relay for fuel pump constant run.

For NAS aka NAFTA 2001 - 2003 (OM612 engine with mechanical fuel pump):
In-line universal 12 volt fuel pump.

[Refer to Amazon fuel pump info above.]

A cheap household extension cord can be chopped up to use as the wire to power the electric fuel pump. For safety reasons it would be best to use a 10 or 15 amp fuse for the fuel pump power feed.

The fuel pump can be used to transfer the fuel back into the Sprinter tank if the fuel is to be reused. If the tank is being emptied because the 2004 and up OEM in tank electric fuel pump has failed, once primed, an in-line pump should work to pull fuel up and out through the dead OEM pump.

vic

Here is verification that an in-line pump will work just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawsea View Post
My 2003 does not have the in-tank pump. I went down to the local auto parts store and bought a universal, inline, 12v diesel fuel pump and hooked it up to the inlet hose at the filter and sucked all 25 gallons out. I paid $55 for the pump but I see them on Amazon for around $25.

Verification that a small pump will extract fuel through a non-operating Sprinter in-tank fuel pump. Thanks goes to Sebtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebtown View Post
When I mistakenly filled my Sprinter with gasoline last year I realized my mistake before I started the engine. I had it towed to a shop where they used a small electric pump attached to the inlet hose at the fuel filter and pumped the tank dry. Refilled with clean diesel and I have enjoyed over 10,000 trouble free miles since. I now double and triple check the pump before fueling. Best of all I was only charged $49 to pump the tank and even with the cost of the gasoline I was only out $100. Drilling a hole in the tank is a terrible idea in my opinion.
Apparently the OM612 tank can be emptied by siphoning. No fuel pump is needed, but using a pump will speed up the process. A floor jack can be used to raise the rear end if you don't happen to have a forklift handy. Thanks goes to Skippy and Emu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy and Emu View Post
Was shifting about a ton and a half of stuff to my country property. Stopped at a very small country service station to get fuel and one of their very nice ham and salad rolls.
Tank was about a quarter full, had just put in 57 litres when I realised I was filling with Petroleum instead of Diesel. I went inside the servo to pay for the fuel and ask for assistance. The Lady behind the counter, said it was a common problem and that she would get "Tony " who would know what to.
Tony had a quick look underneath and said, no drain plug, will have to siphon it. ( my sprinter does not have the pump in the tank )
I started the sprinter and drove it about 10metres off the forecourt. Switching the motor off immediately.
Tony supplied me with a length of garden hose and severel empty 20litre oil drums.
I managed to siphon out about 60 litres via the fuel filler, before the flow stopped. My calculations told me there was still a significant amount of fuel in the tank. I asked Tony if he had a trolley jack, so as to lift the whole rear end of the sprinter to make the fuel move towards the front of the tank. He fired up his forklift, and gently placed the forks under the towbar. No problem lifting the whole rear end ( even with the weight I had on board ), the rear tyres were about 8 inches off the ground. Magnificent, managed to siphon several more litres.
Removed the fork lift, started the motor and reversed back the 10 metres to the pump. Switched the motor off immediately. I filled the tank to the brim with fresh diesel . I estimate there may have been about 2 to 3 litres remaining in the tank. ( which would have been a mix of petroleum and diesel ).I paid for the fuel, and gave Tony $20 for his help. The sprinter started as per normal, I drove it off the forecourt and let it idle for a few minutes.
It never missed a beat, no coughing etc. Has been ok ever since.For peace of mind, I did change the fuel filter at the next service.
A cheap transfer pump will get the siphon started without risk of fuel ingestion/aspiration.
http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-u...ump-66418.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by abittenbinder View Post
If there is significant injection hi pump damage due to mis-fueling, the metallic evidence will typically collect and be visible at the return fuel line's diverter valve.

On the 612, this plastic diverter valve is located on the top of the fuel filter.

On the 647 this valve is located just above the fuel cooler at the rear of the tank.

The 612's valve is somewhat easier to access and inspect because it only has 2 fittings and clamps. The 647 has 4.

Doktor A
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 02-27-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aqua Puttana For This Useful Post:
Eurorealtor (02-10-2016), fishermunn (12-02-2012)
Old 12-02-2012, 08:43 PM   #82
Douglas Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarsanctum View Post
This thread has really gone interesting places, thanks Vic and everyone. Very entertaining.

It also makes me glad the station i go to most often has only one green diesel nozzle on the pumps on the separate island for Diesel.
Though in Oregon it's legal to pump your own diesel, but not gasoline, most stations still insist on them doing it. Vigilance is important, especially when they do it.
Jef
staub & son's have a sign stating that the person driving the vehicle is responsible if the wrong fuel is pumped, no matter who pumps the fuel. I asked the guy at the fuel desk if he knew of any occasions where the wrong fuel was pumped and staub was held resposible or not responsible. I got no answer.
Douglas Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:13 PM   #83
oscarvan

Interesting thread. I drive a diesel full time and am vigilant. I pump in NJ often and usually they tolerate me doing it myself. I keep an eye on them when they do it. So far so good, knock on wood.

Oh, someone I know didn't realize he rented a diesel Volvo in Europe and topped it off with gas . It did not survive.
CJPJ (12-12-2012), slimhoyle (02-03-2014)
Old 05-18-2015, 10:19 PM   #84
CJPJ
2008 3500 170"ext. 3.0 V6

Thanked 2,105 Times in 1,382 Posts

... diesel fuel dispensers are usually clearly marked with text and with a special color handle (the color varies by station).

Don't have a laps in concentration when choosing the pump handle.
http://brokensecrets.com/2010/06/09/...ard-fuel-cars/
CJPJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 05:45 PM   #85
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 14,239 Times in 9,040 Posts

A not recommended to try, but interesting data point as to petrol contamination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Head View Post
Anecdotal information only, but a few years ago, my Brother in law put 5 gallons gasoline into his Sprinter based Winnebago View before catching himself. He then filled with Diesel and never looked back. No problems manifested themselves during the next couple of years of ownership.
This is not permission, but rather just one mans experience.

Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post
Wow. That certainly helps to put a 0.5 - 1 gallon mistake into perspective. Thanks for the input.

vic
More confirmation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvollmar View Post
we do it [gas in diesel] 4-5 times a year. As Dennis said drain the tank change the filter and most likely you will be fine.
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 02-27-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote