Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Talk

T1N Talk General Discussions related to T1N Sprinters.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:23 PM   #1
Trentbell
T-Bell

Default Auxiliary heater / blower issues...

Howdy all,

I'm a new Sprinter owner, (2003 Freightliner). I'm having issues with the auxiliary heater blower. In the passenger compartment there appears to be a heat vent running along the drivers side floor, but I can't get any hot air, or any air whatsoever come out. I flip the blower switch next to the steering column and nothing happens, the digital timer switch on the center control panel seems to work, it starts something in the engine compartment and sounds like there is a blower running, but nothing really seems to happen.

Anyone had any experience with these freightliner units?
Trentbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:59 PM   #2
Trentbell
T-Bell

Default Re: Auxiliary heater / blower issues...

Anyone...anyone...?
Trentbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:31 PM   #3
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,439 Times in 8,529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentbell View Post
Anyone...anyone...?
Crickets chirping... leaves rustle....

It must be cold already up thar in Maine eh, yep?

There is some information I threw together about the heater options in this thread.
Stoopid things I shoulds known!!
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3301
Go to page #7 post #62

If you have an OEM aux heater the way it basically works is that it heats the engine coolant which goes to the cabin heater core so the normal heater fan can blow the heat into the cabin. If the engine is not running the coolant is circulated by an aux electric pump.

The fact that you hear a blower sound from under the front is encouraging. I don't know what the duct you mentioned is for. Good luck. vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:12 AM   #4
Douglas Hicks

Some heaters come with a duct for hot/warm air. I have a dsl fired auxilary heater for my 2005. It is an option I sspecial ordered. It is mounted behind the left headlite. My heater control is in the lower center of the dash panel. I push the button with the red squiggly lines, holding it down untill I hear the to dosing pump click. Dosing is a fancy, expensive way to say fuel pump. If the driver's door is open, you can hear the aux heater come on, it sounds like a jet engine. The exhaust pipe exits by the left front wheel. The heater heats the engine coolant, which is circulated by a 12V pump. There is a thermostat someplace. If you have a dsl fired heater, no matter the location, run it for 10 minutes a month. The DAD is thought to diagnose heater problems.

Some heaters are mounted in the cargo/passenger area. In my 2003, we added a heater there. It is dsl fired, thermostatically controlled and forces hot air into the rear compartment. Some vans may have had that heater installed at the factory.

There is also another heater, the RST. It uses residual heat from the engine to keep the cab warm. Push the lower buttom to operate the RST when leaving the van for a few minutes. It will run w/o hte key, for about 20 minutes, at least in my van.

Heaters are another mystery in our vans. No one, except Dr A understands all of the options in the Sprinter. There are rumors MB calls him for help.
Douglas Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Douglas Hicks For This Useful Post:
Trentbell (08-21-2010)
Old 08-16-2010, 11:47 AM   #5
bc339

We have an '04 passenger model with the Espar heater with two controls - the control switch on the climate control panel and the 7 day timer. It's also equipped with the rear heater that Trentbell describes. The switch is located in the same place, to the right of the steering wheel. The blower and heater core are located in a plastic housing just aft of the drivers door foot step underneath the ducting. There are two coolant lines that run along the frame to the heater core. The duct cover that runs along the left side of the floor behind the drivers door is just that. It's held together by 6 long phillips head fasteners and comes apart to clean out crayons and missing legos. It doesn't give any access to the heater or fan blower. That's all in the housing underneath. If your system is similar, it sounds like an electrical problem. Hopefully a fuse or relay.
You may also have an Espar heater for the rear heating.
If you haven't done so, there is a service manual for '05 Sprinters that you can download in the T1N database section by maxextz. It may help, even though yours is an '03.
Ch 24 covers heating and air conditioning and the espar heater. It's a big chapter - make sure to look through the subsection on plumbing, the manual embeds the heating system along with air conditioning.
Bruce

Last edited by bc339; 08-16-2010 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Spellun
bc339 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bc339 For This Useful Post:
Trentbell (08-21-2010)
Old 01-22-2011, 03:34 AM   #6
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,439 Times in 8,529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jana View Post
Good thing Douglas Hicks shared some info for this one.
His info is always helpful. There is a bunch of information in database now. It is worth reading. vic

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13601
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:13 AM   #7
Boatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentbell View Post
Howdy all,

I'm a new Sprinter owner, (2003 Freightliner). I'm having issues with the auxiliary heater blower. In the passenger compartment there appears to be a heat vent running along the drivers side floor, but I can't get any hot air, or any air whatsoever come out. I flip the blower switch next to the steering column and nothing happens, the digital timer switch on the center control panel seems to work, it starts something in the engine compartment and sounds like there is a blower running, but nothing really seems to happen.

Anyone had any experience with these freightliner units?
I had similar issues with my rear heater blower. It turned out that the Unite under the floor had been full of water a couple times and the relays/resistor were corroded. The unit is pretty easy to pull down and disassemble without breaking the hose connections and draining the coolant.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13805
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote