View Single Post
Old 05-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #9
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,439 Times in 8,529 Posts
Default Re: Alternator Turbo Resonator Change OM647

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiver007 View Post
...Also eliminating the turbo resonator which leaks oil on it all the time will help extend its life.

I haven't noticed any oil leakage from my TR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey man 64 View Post
Or, as Skydiver007 pointed out, it could be oriented the wrong way.

I should think that the electrical connection location would dictate the orientation, but if there is enough slack ...

As to shims, there must be enough takeup in the tensioner for a slight difference. Just be certain what you do doesn't affect the pulley/belt alignnments. Rotating the position may be the better solution.
No! It matters!!!

This is my 150 amp Bosch looking up.

150AmpAltVee.jpg

Good luck. vic

Edit. From a recent post/thread. Thanks goes to Andy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abittenbinder View Post
The asymmetric (to shaft center axis) mounting flanges of the '02-'06 Sprinter's alternator means installation needs to be done with care and knowledge.

The 90A alternator can be installed 'backwards' without damage to alternator but D+ wire may not reach the inverted terminal easily.

The larger diameter 150A alternator will have interference issues if mounted backwards as you discovered.

I have also seen improperly stored salvage yard engines suffer alternator seizure due to corrosion and prevent minimum starter motor speeds for start to occur.

Doktor A
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 01-09-2016 at 12:41 PM.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aqua Puttana For This Useful Post:
rhyfl (07-04-2012), shortshort (04-18-2014), Teknomadix (08-25-2012)