View Single Post
Old 12-25-2009, 05:32 PM   #2
minigoogoo

Default Installing a CR Laurence window in the sliding door (continued)

With the cut lines established, I taped off the foot of the jigsaw and taped along the outside of the future opening. I drilled a large pilot hole and proceeded with the first cut. I started with the bottom edge, along the straight portion of the opening. I did this because I thought it would be the best way to get a feel for technique, where I was standing firmly on the ground and with a good view of the cut.

DSC06503.JPG

-----------
After completing the bottom cut, I worked my way around the perimeter. I went slow, and stopped occasionally to check the foot of the jigsaw for metal debris. I retaped several times along the length of each cut.

DSC06506.JPG

-----------
Once the straight cuts were complete, I moved into the corners. As mentioned earlier, I decided to drill more holes along the curves in order to more accurately describe the line to which I would cut. With the variable speed jigsaw, set to zero thrust cutting, I was able to negotiate the tightest corners. The most difficult part was supporting the metal cut-out once a few of the corners were free. In hindsight, I should have cut the bottom corners first, which would have allowed the cut-out piece to hang within the opening, rather than flopping over.

DSC06509.JPG

-----------
The completed cut, awaiting clean-up, primer, and paint.

DSC06511.JPG

DSC06515.JPG

-----------
More to follow...
(Airstream) Sprinter Westfalia #189 (SOLD)
(Airstream) Sprinter Westfalia #059 (SOLD)
(Airstream) Sprinter Westfalia #068 (YES, I AM CRAZY )
minigoogoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to minigoogoo For This Useful Post:
georgetg (12-25-2009), Hit The Road Jack (12-25-2009), Redskeets (08-13-2016)