Sprinter for mountain biking etc. - need spec advice

lewie221

Hello All,

I'm configuring a Sprinter for personal use and I'd value the advice of the esteemed and experienced folks on this forum.

The main uses will be:
1. Mountainbiking with three or four friends
2. Motorcycle racing with two road or motocross bikes, passengers and a dog
3. Hauling landscaping stuff around

My intention was to get the 144" std roof diesel with the crew package. I'll delete the partition so I can take out the second row of seats and get a clean sweep if necessary. I'd like to spec the 3.92 axle ratio because I'll rarely be anywhere near the weight limit and I'll happily trade acceleration for improved fuel consumption.

I live in the SF Bay Area so temperature extremes aren't an issue, although it may go up to Tahoe once in a while for some snowboarding. Ive attached the full spec for anyone with a little time on their hands.

So, any feedback? Is there anything here, or anything missing, that I'll come to regret?

Lastly, anyone know a good dealer in the area? The Hayward Dodge dealer has lots of stripped down vehicles on the lot be seems oddly reluctant to sell me a custom spec.

Regards,
Richard.

Attachments

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Hi Richard:

So, any feedback? Is there anything here, or anything missing, that I'll come to regret?
IMHO, High Roof & Front Aux Heater w/Timer (I didn't find this on the list and I didn't find the "timer" part at kbb.com :thinking:).

Lastly, anyone know a good dealer in the area? The Hayward Dodge dealer has lots of stripped down vehicles on the lot be seems oddly reluctant to sell me a custom spec.
Will Eugenio is/was the Fleet Manager at Hartzheim when we ordered our 2006 Sprinter T1N. I looked for him at Capitol Expressway and they said that his office moved to Hayward. I didn't waste time talking to anyone else.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Hello All,

The main uses will be:
1. Mountainbiking with three or four friends
2. Motorcycle racing with two road or motocross bikes, passengers and a dog
3. Hauling landscaping stuff around

Regards,
Richard.
Hi Richard,

I skipped the fiberboard cargo bay liners... they just didn't look that durable to me. What was your impression?

I noticed you went for the Sound 20 AM/FM CD Radio with Telephone Connection, but I didn't see code "RDK" - the GSM/GPS/UMTS network antenna.

I went with black cloth seats at the last moment because someone nearby said, "stain." It's really not that important to me though.

I skipped the left & right rear door assist handles because I didn't think they'd be used. For my use, they have obstacle potential.

I went with the trailer tow group (AHT) after having researched how much it can cost to retro-fit it. I'm not planning on towing anything, but in my life, plans change and flexibility is luxurious.

I also took the Contractor Group (ASM) for the 220 amp alternator and a number of things you selected:

CONTRACTOR GROUP -inc: 220 amp alternator, 2 additional keys, aux battery, aux battery disconnect relay, driver seat base pwr outlet, fire extinguisher, road hazard warning lamp.

Oh yeah, 22B gets you a steering wheel with buttons and a lot smarter interface to the vehicle. There's 2 pages in the owners manual devoted to instrument panel controls for vehicles "without steering wheel buttons." There's 20 pages or something like that for vehicles "with steering wheel buttons." You may already have that with the speed (cruise) control, but if you don't, I think it's worth it.

It looks like you're going to have a nice ride.

-Jon

PS: I agree with Seek. The standard roof vehicle is 96 inches tall - too tall for many drive-up, fast food joints. Why not go for the extra height and let yourself walk upright in the back?

Last edited:

lewie221

Thanks, Seek and Jon, good stuff.

Naturally, helping someone generates follow-up questions:

• Presumably the high roof comes with a fuel consumption penalty. Any idea how much?
  • What is the auxiliary front heater for?
  • The GSM/GPS/UMTS network antenna wasn't offered on the on-line configurator. I'll make a note to manually make sure it's there.
  • What do the door assist handles look like? I'd assumed they were just larger handles, but what Jon says suggests I'm off there.
  • As for the fiberboard liners, my existing van has a number of dimples in the side where handlebars have impacted the inside! The liners would at least stop that. I can always beef them up if necessary.
  • Jon, what do you do that makes the larger alternator and second battery worthwhile? (In general, larger alternators take more power which corresponds to increased fuel consumption, although the effect may not be noticeable on a van.)

I was given Will's name and email as "the sprinter guy". Getting him to answer email or come to the phone is proving tough. I guess I'll persevere.

Cheers,
Richard.

unik

My Sprinter2500 158" ExtRoof
2seats only.
I'm always alone.
I do bicycle rides, have 2bicycles onboard and I'm OUT of SPACE!!!
Get your SPRINTER as big as possible.

2) do not take additional windows;easy to pot insulation,less possible to brake into.:professor:

SprinterUSA1

• Presumably the high roof comes with a fuel consumption penalty. Any idea how much?
  • The GSM/GPS/UMTS network antenna wasn't offered on the on-line configurator. I'll make a note to manually make sure it's there.
  • What do the door assist handles look like? I'd assumed they were just larger handles, but what Jon says suggests I'm off there.
  • As for the fiberboard liners, my existing van has a number of dimples in the side where handlebars have impacted the inside! The liners would at least stop that. I can always beef them up if necessary.
  • Jon, what do you do that makes the larger alternator and second battery worthwhile? (In general, larger alternators take more power which corresponds to increased fuel consumption, although the effect may not be noticeable on a van.)

I was given Will's name and email as "the sprinter guy". Getting him to answer email or come to the phone is proving tough. I guess I'll persevere.

Cheers,
Richard.

Let's see if we can answer at least some of your follow up questions.

1. Not sure how many here have an NCV3 with different roof heights. My T1N (158)gets between 21.5-23 mpg. So the NCV3 should be slightly less since it now has a V6 Diesel. Of course you are getting a 140 wheelbase so it could be inthis ballpark.

2.Heater can be run without the engine running. So when you come back from snowboarding with icesickles from your nose your Sprinter is already warm.

4. I attached a pic. You should be able to see one of each side of the back doors. They make getting up and down easier since the Sprinter even with its low floor is still quite tall. I believe you can get one for the Sliding door also.

5. Liner good. At least it will stop the blow and might prevent the skin being dented. Of course with a bike it might not do much at all unless there is foam insulation backing it. It would still get punctured. Better install some plywood over it.

SprinterUSA1

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
My answers are in-line, and in blue.

I'd just be guessing. I ordered the high-roof option. I'm just looking forward to never banging my head on the roof again and I'm only 5' 8" I'll adjust my driving habits to get the best mileage I can anyway. My choice: I'll adapt to - and make the best of - the vehicle.

See attached PDF from the NCV3 Sales Code Description Bookhttps://sprinter-source.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7970&postcount=1

That had crossed my mind. I couldn't find any way to get an actual quantification on it, aside from running the $40k experiment. I decided that for me, I know I'll adapt to the vehicle's qualities and get the most life and fuel economy I'm able. I am considering a number of modifications to increase the longevity of the vehicle, including improving fuel delivery/combustion... but that's another thread and several months away.

Richard.

You've asked some excellent questions. I hope someone with more real-world experience about fuel economy etc is able to chime in... I placed my order in April. I'm not expecting any word about delivery until late Summer or Autumn; delivery sometime between October and... well, April :)

-Jon

Attachments

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I have the high roof and get a consistent 24mpg @ 70mph (GPS). From what I remember it's roughly the same for the Standard Roof. The big determination on fuel mileage is speed and your foot. At least this is true for T1N's. Get the high roof, you won't be sorry. :thumbup:

The front aux heater is for heating up the cabin and the engine. It runs off the diesel fuel. Like SprinterUSA1 has said, you can set the timer to run the heater before you arrive. I like it for the fact that I can come to a warm van and just drive off rather than wait until it warms up, especially during the winter season. And diesels take forever to warm up!

sikwan

06 Tin Can
@Sikwan,

this may be true for a lot of them but it is not for the Sprinter. At least I have not experienced it on mine.
I guess I should say it takes longer than my petrol variants. :D

It is a lot harder to keep warm too during the cold season.

SprinterUSA1

I guess I should say it takes longer than my petrol variants. :D

It is a lot harder to keep warm too during the cold season.

Doubt Diesel will ever warm up as quickly as a gasoline engine. The MB CDI's still warm up quickly though. Compared to the VW TDI you woudl think it is a gasoline.
Anyway, aux. heater is a nice option because of the reasons mentioned. Helps with fuel mileage in the winter also, since there are no cold starts neccessary.

SprinterUSA1

ELJEFE

Lord of Immortality
i'M IN SF as well [Marin] and sussed out the local dealers [and the entire US!] Locals did not have what I wanted [lo-roof 2500 144 CRD in silver] and of all the dealers Hartzheim was a complete joke -i wont bore you with the details, except to say they know nothing , are unreliable, flaky, and incompetent [Will included! [they did have some inventory for test drives tho! Good for that!] Minimal discount as well. Avoid like the plague~!

I Picked up my ride last week from Dave Smith in Kellog Idaho-biggest Dodge dealer in world. They had exactly what I wanted @ a healthy discount and they paid my airfare up. They are not Sprinter experts-you will know more than they, but they move alot of Sprinters and will deal! Not so far from SF either. and in nice part of planet! PM me if interested further.

I use mine for camping, Mountain biking for 4 people as well as light contracting. Im pulling 2 of the seats and may turn one in line with side to facilitate bikes, sleeping and materials, etc.

Not sure why you want the cargo version, as the windows make all the dif. in viz and interior light, esp if you're carrying folks! With so much altitude, I wanna see it all!

Hope this helps!

elJ

scotty

Hey Richard,
I have a 2006 140' Standard ( <---- ). We specifically got this van for mountain biking and generally getting out into the hills. We had a long look at the high roof but ended up with the standard roof for a few reasons: I am 5'8" and can alllmost completely stand up inside... we have a couple kayaks (around 18' long). putting these on top is a struggle, on the higher roof it would have been ridiculous... we are usually only hauling 3 or 4 people with bikes, but we fully intend to cover the roof in bike racks so we can haul the full compliment of 10 and bikes from town to trailhead. Also covering the top with a platform will be a great place to sleep in griz country...

I have noticed further out in the Cascades, at the end of a few long dirt roads, the standard roof is just clearing overhanging trees and limbs...

We were shopping for a cargo with a first row of seats, but ended up buying a full passenger van and we couldn't be happier! The seats pull easily and can be stored when you don't need them. The windows are expansive and with the factory tint you cannot see in unless you're head is right up against the side... also the windows are high so people don't casually see what you have on the floor.

I bought this down in Lancaster (those guys were really great to work with and took really good care of me)... driving back up to Seattle i was stoked to find that my mountain bike fit behind the rear seat across the back perrrfectly...

We pulled the third row of seats and could easily fit 6 bikes back there. We now have pulled both rows of 3 seats and moved the row of 2 seats to the front. For trips to Montana and then Utah (next week); we have plenty of room for a futon mattress, all our equipment, and a few bikes. The 140 length is fantastic... tons of room, incredibly maneuverable and easy to park, surprisingly stable in cross winds and rutted highways, and the bikes are out of the way in the back...

This thing rallies on dirt roads as well... we were nervous how it would handle off road (i would love to put a viscous coupling underneath), but we are completely impressed with it now. Honestly it handles dirt roads better than our Toyota Tacoma did! (until we get stuck anyways), and it blows that trucks fuel mileage out of the water. Kick off the ASR on the washboards and it cruises. At the local dealer they looked at us like we were nuts when we talked about off road use... but we spend a lot of time driving remote dirt roads. There is some more aggressive AT rubber coming before the snow falls.

We are both in the bike/outdoor industry and there is pretty much always a bike or two in the back. There is plenty of room to maneuver around the bikes and it isn't apparent from outside what we are hauling. Next project: we want to build removable fork mounts or sportworks style racks into the back so the bikes are more secure... Love it love it love it!

scotty

chasejj

I have the high roof and get a consistent 24mpg @ 70mph (GPS). From what I remember it's roughly the same for the Standard Roof. The big determination on fuel mileage is speed and your foot. At least this is true for T1N's. Get the high roof, you won't be sorry. :thumbup:

The front aux heater is for heating up the cabin and the engine. It runs off the diesel fuel. Like SprinterUSA1 has said, you can set the timer to run the heater before you arrive. I like it for the fact that I can come to a warm van and just drive off rather than wait until it warms up, especially during the winter season. And diesels take forever to warm up!
I find this interesting as I am planning a order of a new Sprinter for the same reasons.
Did you know that there is also a SO code for a Hydronic heater? This works the same way the aux heater (Airtronic) works but heats the coolant water for better starts in cold weather. The added benefit is you can tap into this system and use a flat plate heat exchanger($100) to rig your own hot water source if you had a tank and pump to go with it(hot showers). The new code book for special orders is amazing in its depth and makes it almost easy to build a DIY camper /toyhauler.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Did you know that there is also a SO code for a Hydronic heater? This works the same way the aux heater (Airtronic) works but heats the coolant water for better starts in cold weather.
Hmm, I thought the Front Aux Heater heats the engine coolant or at least I think mine does? :thinking: I don't think mine heats the oil.

I have 2 sprinters. I bought the 200-3 140 SHC off the lot at Portland FL. I ordered the 2005 158 SHC the way I wanted it, from Dick's Country Dodge in Hillsborrow. I have been very pleased w/the warrnty service from Dodge. Both vans are commercial use.

Obviously, the 2007 is different than my vans.
I suggest the hi-output alt, aux front heat, rear hydronic heat if available in the cargo van, heated rear windows, sliding door window, better seats, aux battery, the stock radio is junk as are the speakers. Get the high roof, any scratches from branches will be on the roof and not visible. The high roof is much more comfortable to walk in.

Delete the cardboard sidewall, they are junk, delete the insualtion. It is just open cell foam, and does not cover all of the cargo area. I used spray foam and then covered the ceiling and walls w/thin masonite.

I customized the van for my use.
LED lights in the ceiling, all aux wiring off the aux battery. Wiring fused at the battery, wiring under the van. I Added a fuse block at the back of hte van, then went to the loads. I installed a Sirius radio, upgraded the dash speakers, added Kicker up front and installed 5 " speakers in the back, on the bulkhead. I ordered the plywood for the load area, I wish I had installed plywood myself and had bedliner sprayed on the floor as I did in the 2003. The MB floor covering has no traction left and tools and supplies tend to slid around.

When I ordered the 2005, I made up my order, as you have. I then went on-line and contacted dealers in a 500 Mile radius. I called the fleet sales department and asked if they would be interested in bidding on my needs. The only negative I received was from Smith Motors in C-Da-Lane. They wanted to sell me after market stuff, not factory windows, and other options. They also did not like my Calcite yellow paint. I sent the same bid to several dealers. I was amazed at the difference in prices. The Salem Or dealer is 50 miles from Dick's country Dodge, and want $1500.00 more.

I have been pleased with my Sprinters, as have my customers. The only negative feedback has been from 2 of my competitors. I think they are jealous.

Douglas HIcks

chasejj

Hmm, I thought the Front Aux Heater heats the engine coolant or at least I think mine does? :thinking: I don't think mine heats the oil.
They are 2 different SO items. I assumed the way it was described that the Front Aux Heater was an Espar Airtronic (maybe I'm wrong on that) and the rear Hydronic heat was like or is an Espar Hydronic unit. Either way we are talking about diesel fueled aux systems that are excellent tools to build a useful DIY van/camper/toyhauler.

Anybody ordered the suspension seat bases??

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Anybody ordered the suspension seat bases??
I almost did.... but I passed on it because of something I read in the 2007 Freightliner Owners Manual:

(Page 70)

The suspension seat must be adjusted to your body weight.

- Relieve the load on the seat.

- Select your body weight 88 to 165 lbs (40 to 120 kg) using the thumbwheel for optimal seat suspension.

Reading it now, I think it seems too ludicrous to be accurate. How many adults weigh 40 kg? It has to be a mistake.

When I read that blurb the first time - before placing the vehicle order - I was too jacked up on Sprinter Option Overload; I didn't have the mental faculties to consider suspension seat specs and the 3 dozen other options I was already prioritizing.

-Jon

Top Bottom