#1 reason to own a diesel van?

MINICooperS

I'm shopping for a new Sprinter and would like to hear the real #1 reason people purchase a diesel? Reasons #2-#10 are inconsequential at this point.
Thanks

SprinterUSA1

I'm shopping for a new Sprinter and would like to hear the real #1 reason people purchase a diesel? Reasons #2-#10 are inconsequential at this point.
Thanks

Welcome on board MINICOOPERS,

for one it is a Mercedes Diesel you are talking about and then there is the low maintance and reasonable fuel economy. That would be my vote.

SprinterUSA1

topless

Wichita, KS
It's not just a diesel, it's turbo diesel. A turbo diesel is power on demand, especially in a heavy/large vehicle and even more apparent in altitude. The available power, longevity, long service intervals and fuel economy is typical of any turbo diesel.
I drive a turbo diesel pickup and intend to have a turbo diesel car as more become available in the U.S.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
What kind of car do you have your eyes on?
You bring up a good question (even though it's not for me, but I'll answer it anyways. :smirk:). I had my sight on the New Passat model because the wife likes the style. Only thing is it doesn't have the diesel like previous Passats.

The diesel Accord that Honda is coming out with really has caught my attention!

Oh and not to hijack the thread, when we bought our T1N we had no choice but the diesel. If were buying again, we would still go for the diesel because of the fuel mileage and option to run biodiesel. It's nice to know that the fuel mileage of our T1N gets the same or similar mileage as my S-10, 2.2l 4cyl. The other thing is diesel owners do not need to have the bi-annual smog checks.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
If were buying again, we would still go for the diesel because of the fuel mileage and option to run biodiesel. It's nice to know that the fuel mileage of our T1N gets the same or similar mileage as my S-10, 2.2l 4cyl. The other thing is diesel owners do not need to have the bi-annual smog checks.
OTR Diesel emissions tests are mandatory in some other states, however.

-Jon

SprinterUSA1

You bring up a good question (even though it's not for me, but I'll answer it anyways. :smirk:). I had my sight on the New Passat model because the wife likes the style. Only thing is it doesn't have the diesel like previous Passats.

The diesel Accord that Honda is coming out with really has caught my attention!

Oh and not to hijack the thread, when we bought our T1N we had no choice but the diesel. If were buying again, we would still go for the diesel because of the fuel mileage and option to run biodiesel. It's nice to know that the fuel mileage of our T1N gets the same or similar mileage as my S-10, 2.2l 4cyl. The other thing is diesel owners do not need to have the bi-annual smog checks.

Is Honda going to use their own Diesel engine or are they just using somebody elses like they did in Europe some years back? I believe it was Rovers. I did not even expect the Japanese to get into the Diesel business with their passenger cars now. I thought they were big on the Hybrids.
Anyway, could be interesting if they get the emissions passed.

The VW's are nice. They make the best Diesel on the market. Good on the throttle and still fuel efficient. A bit noisy on the outside though but well muffled inside.

I just wonder why they gave us only on engine option for the T1N and only two for the NCV3. Why not let the customer choose? But they are still nice and quiet compared to some other makers.

SprinterUSA1

Dewey

My Number 1 reason:
Space and Utility.

My '07 CDI passenger van replaced my '04 Hemi 1500 regular cab Pickup (which I loved). This van is bigger, can haul more (3/4 ton), gets better mileage, I can stand up in it, room for our second kid on its way, safer, rides better, unmatched visibility from driver seat, and you never forget where you park (since you can see it towering over all the other peon vehicles). It is now our family van/car. Road trips are a breeze. No more cramped hours of driving.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Is Honda going to use their own Diesel engine or are they just using somebody elses like they did in Europe some years back?
I believe it's their own, but don't quote me on that.

What attracts me to the Honda diesel is that it has a similar system like MB's Bluetec, except the Honda system generates the urea rather than having the owner fill a tank periodically.

Google it. The information is all over the place.

KenB

#1 reason is that it is an (Otto) Diesel design... designed to run on vegetable oil before 1900 A.D. it HAS to be heavy duty to work properly, the efficiency is higher by the laws of thermal dynamics, the fuel specs can vary widely (at least until the particle burning filter/trap catalyst thingy came into being), good diesel engines last long miles/years on normal maintenance, biodiesel fits the original "mission statement" of Diesel's design, green capability is built right in, torque is high even for lower horse-power engines and diesel torque has more push than gasoline horse-power has pull... You see, you don't get just one (#1) benefit, you get them all.

Just watched an episode of Myth Busters and saw them run a Mercedes Diesel Car on filtered SVO (straight (waste) vegetable oil). Certainly I am not silly enough to think that we can make enough vegetable oil to single-handedly replace petroleum, but waste oil that is NOT wasted is one BIG step forward.

KenB:cheers:

SprinterUSA1

Not yet. But, it's supposed to be coming next year.

Suppose this would be a sweet toy to have also. Prefer the 320CDI though. Waiting for the new one. Seen some spy? pics once and they are hot. :drool::drool::drool: Similar to the new C-class but more like a coupe. Hope we will get to see those someday soon. No more facelifts on the existing E-class please.

SprinterUSA1

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
That is my next purchase too, is a 320 CDI.

What do you know about it? Is it changing again from the latest facelift in 05? Any pictures?

Tibor

SprinterUSA1

That is my next purchase too, is a 320 CDI.

What do you know about it? Is it changing again from the latest facelift in 05? Any pictures?

Tibor

Tibor,

no details about the possible new E. Did a search and could not find any pics. My have to scan them in or search some more. It will Hopefully not look like the current model anymore. Very slick unless they change it again. Will post some pics once I find them.

Top Bottom