Premature failure of serpentine belt

SprintED

Some of you may have read about my dead van horror story in another thread...Serpentine belt failed prematurely at 30,000 miles. Dealer has identified an idler as the cause...Idler was apparently seized up. Dealer still waiting for part to arrive and van is going to be in the shop for the rest of the week.

So carrying along a spare belt would not have helped me in this situation. I am kind of hoping that perhaps this idler was the reason I have been getting a nasty squeal on occasion when I turn on my AC. I know there are some others out there who experience the same squeal/bang with their AC...so perhap you may want to examine your belt and idler to see if there are any issues.

Ed
2005 158 passenger

kendall69

My belt hasn't stayed on since I purchased it on April 21, 2007, now some 80 plus days later - it's still in the shop.

Getting belts is not as easy as one would imagine, mine has been on "back order" three times. Three weeks each time.

Also seems like it might be a somewhat more prevalent problem, as many others are also waiting for belts.

SprintED

Kendall69,

I should clarify that my sprinter is an 2005 and that the now old style sprinters have not really had the belt problems that seem to be plaguing some of the 2007s.

Very annoying for you nonetheless and I would pursue the lemon law thing...maybe you got a monday morning friday afternoon special?

BTW is yours a passenger or cargo version?

Ed

kendall69

I got the passenger.

The reason your thread sparked my interest is that they are now hinting it could be the Idler, pulley's, et al.

Ah yes the Lemon Law, it takes sooo much time to deal with, but with me dealing with the dealer etc. on a daily basis since April, it can’t be much more of a burden.

acvr4

replaced serpentine belt

I had a squeal when I used my A/C too. So I opped to replace mine since it's due. $33 from the local auto parts store and it was actually real easy to replace - once I figured how to get in to take the pressure of the tensioner. (old service manual states a 3/8" square opening -- not on the 05, it's a larger Star socket.
Now no squeal but I'm going to bring it to a shop to have the A/C system serviced. It's just cold but not "ice" cold. I stopped and checked a FED-X guy's A/C temp on his Sprinter and it wasn't as cold as mine :idunno: I'll post up when I get mine recharged to let everyone know if there is any difference.

loredo_sprinter

I to, have had this same squeal etc, was wondering if someone has a step by step file that shows how to replace this belt, if so would appreciate it, thanking all in advance

Jules :bow:

acvr4

Serpentine belt

Jules, It's pretty strait forwards. Look on page 104of the 03 service manual pfd (easily found)
The drive tensioner is directly below the oil filter, just left of the power steering pulley and above the A/C compressor- you can't miss it since it's a smaller pulley. Under it is socket sized knob an a Star insert. You can used either one. Then just twist the ratchet towards the left and this relieves the pressure off the belt. Then slide the belt off the water pump pulley first and then it will easily come off the rest. Installation is just as easy Wrap the belt back around the pulleys at it came off, leaving it off the water pump pulley until the end.

Attachments

Last edited:

acvr4

SprintEd was your tensioner seized too? Mine moved smoothy - both the pulley and the tensioner :thumbup:

SprintED

Andy C,

My belt flew apart at 70 mph on the highway. While fixing it the dealership has found that the idler had "packed it in" to use their technical term. I assume the idler seized up and caused the belt to fail.

Although "packed it in" could mean something else I guess??? I will get all the details when I pick the van up...hopefully before summer is done!

Ed

stp57

Thanks for the info Andy,
I always carry a belt with me & it's great to have the diagram to go with it.
Steve

SprintED

Got van back last friday...8 days after I brought it in. According to work order..."idler had fallen apart". New ider, new belt, AC compressor wiring fixed (torn apart when belt gave out), cooling system flush & new coolant (not covered by warranty according to Service writer), and I had them do the fuel fillter since I am behind at work due to the van's breakdown.

Go to pick up van, doing paperwork with service guy... he has the gall to tell me that DC warranty only covers 5 days of rental car costs for any warranty work...I just about go into orbit:yell: I restrain myself, mumble something like "that may be but...I DONT THINK SO! Get my paperwork go to cashier to pay for my flush and filter...she does her thing then asks how long have I had my rental...tell her 8 days and I will not be paying for any rental costs myself regardless of what the service guy says.

She seems agreeable to what I have proposed, takes my money...no charges for rental...so far. Bring back the rental and tell the rental agent that under no circumstances are they to charge any rental fees to my visa. I told them if he dealer tries to pass the buck...that they call me ASAP.

We will see what if anything shows up on the next Visa statement...if there are rental costs...it is going to get real ugly.

Oh yeah...then today 4 days and only about 90 miles after I get the van back...my engine control module/fuel system light goes on in the dash:rolleyes: Call dealer...first available opening is on Friday this week

Here we go again. Not sure how much more of this I can take!

tab380

The Drain Doctor
Is your mileage by any chance is near 80,000 miles? My 03 2500 started giving me constent crap :censored: after that till I got rid of it and got the 07:thumbup:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Oh yeah...then today 4 days and only about 90 miles after I get the van back...my engine control module/fuel system light goes on in the dash:rolleyes: Call dealer...first available opening is on Friday this week

Here we go again. Not sure how much more of this I can take!
That really sucks Ed. :thumbdown: Hopefully, I don't be see this at 30k.

Is your mileage by any chance is near 80,000 miles? My 03 2500 started giving me constent crap :censored: after that till I got rid of it and got the 07:thumbup:
In this post, he's at 30k miles.

kendall69

You got screwed with the system flush. Same thing happened to me and ALL was coverd under warranty.
Fight for a refund on the coolant flush, you will get you $ back. Also since the "faulty" part caused the "issues" again it has to be covered.

SprintED

Actual mileage at time of breakdown was just over 48,000 Km or 30,000 miles...hope I dont see it again at 80,000!

I am sure that the light in the dash is because the dealer did something wrong when they changed the fuel filter. The last time they changed the filter they first left air in the line so I could not get over 40 mph...when they fixed that, they never tightened something properly and the next morning I had a lake of diesel under my van.

Three cheers for "factory trained technicians":smirk:

Ed

SprintED

Kendall69,

I know I got screwed on the flush...but I kind of have to pick my battles and need to try and keep them from slotting me into the super high maintenance client box. But I am going to bring it up with the service manager and ask him nicely to explain how they figure it is not a warranty thing.

The next nearest dealership is 2.5 hrs away and their service is even worse...so beggars cant be choosers.

Ed

loredo_sprinter

Alright I've got a new Serpentine belt, now I need to know how to remove the A/C Compressor belt, this belt has a few cracks in it, and It look as if it's seen later days... it's shinny in some areas , evidence of slippage no doubt...tried looking it up in the manual, I haven't found anything good, any help appreciated :idunno:

Jules

ctmcdaniel

Cross Member
Kendall69,

I know I got screwed on the flush...but I kind of have to pick my battles and need to try and keep them from slotting me into the super high maintenance client box. But I am going to bring it up with the service manager and ask him nicely to explain how they figure it is not a warranty thing.

Ed
Some where on this site I thought I read a TSB about not flushing the cooling system. I used the search and did not find it...... I may have read it on the Dodge technical web site whose name also escapes me.

Tom

Top Bottom