Hi Y'all Newbie here; thinking of getting a Sprinter

Ray Sweeney

Hi Folks: I have a 1994 E150 that I use for work that is due to retire. I visited a Sprinter dealer tonight and am thinking about buying one of these things. Can you folks give me some ideas as to what I need to now about the Sprinter before I spend the loot? Specifically, any problemss that I need to be aware of or some of the better points about the vehicle? FYI, I need one for work (I fix televisions for a living and have been in the business for almost 20 years) that is tall enough to stand up in. That's why i am looking real hard at one of these things. I typically keep cars atleast 7+ years and have had mostly Fords in recent years and have been very happy with them. Had a Chevy Equinox had I had so many proglems with that piece of garbage, I had to trade it in for an Escape (which, btw, is by far, the best car I've ever owned). Anyway, sorry to babble but although I am a Ford man, they just don't have something that is quite the right size for me and that is why I am checking out the Sprinters. Any thoughts, suggestions and/or warnings? Thank you in advance.
Ray Sweeney

Joes05VC

'05 Vista Cruiser fun trk
:thumbup: My 2004 Sprinter is a Vista Cruiser RV conversion and I love it. The mileage beats other vans, it is comfortable and fun to drive, the ease of getting up and moving to the back and standing room make it superior to any other van on the US market. Only drawback, a Sprinter owner should be a resouceful person who can learn how to keep it going with as little dealer contact as possible because the dealer network is the weakness of the vehicle.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
... any problemss that I need to be aware of or some of the better points about the vehicle? ...

Ray Sweeney
Hi Ray,

There are a couple of threads on Sprinter-Source that are disquieting but the degree of concern is reader-dependent.

Accessory Belt Issue
Electronic Issue
Inconsistencies between published specs and delivered goods

Overall, I think most people with a North American 2007 Sprinter are pretty happy. I see people driving them for work and for fun. Occasionally I chat with a Sprinter-driver. No one seems to miss the Econolines and Savanahs.

I like to think I'm pretty thorough in research, and having read every horror story I can find, I still haven't canceled my order.

It's also important to remember that people reach out to internet sources and forums when there's a problem, otherwise they have better things to do than sit around typing about how wonderful their vehicle is (with one notable exception).

Most of your questions can be answered in time with reading. Sprinter-Source is a great library and a dynamic, evolving community.

Good fortune in your decision,
-Jon

Last edited:

greff

I am also considering a new 2006 Sprinter. A dealer has 4 or 5 2006 window vans that look pretty nice. I have not heard any selling prices yet, but I would hope that the price would reflect that they are 2006 models, and not 2007 models. I will use it a day or two a year for business, and the rest of the time it will be my travel companion, as I won't fly anymore. I want to get it pretty well loaded as these 2006 vans are, but would also like to add a table and reverse seating and a few other things after I get it. I'm not sure what to look for in one of these trucks, either in equipment that comes on them, or camping or traveling type equipment to add to it later. I'm also not sure of what kinds of deals the dealers are giving on these vehicles. Any feedback would be appreciated.
greff

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I have a 2006 T1N and if I was looking for another T1N or a 2007+ NCV3 I would at least get...

1. Front Aux Heater with Timer. This setup is really nice for camping and/or warming up the engine during the winter season (I think if you have this setup, you have to have the diesel in the NCV3 model).

2. High Roof. I don't remember why, but I went for the high roof just for the heck of it when I orderd mine and always thankful that I did.

Everything else is pretty much up to you and what you think you'll need.

You can find most of the problems about the two models in this forum's tech section under T1N or NCV3 and by doing a search. For me, I've been really lucky so far, but then I only have 15k miles. The RSN (rumble strip noise) happens, but it's not a reliability problem for the long term. Another one would be the Turbo Resonator problem. I'm waiting for that to go and hopefully I won't be on a road trip when it goes. Since mine is a 2006, maybe they've strengthened it. :idunno: I'll have to do my own inspection.

Best of luck to the both of you, Ray & Greff, and welcome to the forum. :clapping:

tab380

The Drain Doctor
I had a 2003 2500 cargo and loved it ( but not the to small brakes) till it got close to 100,000 miles. To much down time. I have a 2007 now and it is a much better truck inside and out. unless the 06 is over $5000. less than a 07 with the same equipment I would not get it.

SprintED

1) Love my 05 sprinter 158 passenger...far superior in all aspects to a chevy or ford...IMHO

2) There are some good dealers....and seems like alot of bad ones. I think the same could be said about Ford Chevy etc...A colleague of mine has a new Pontiac Montana van and he is just as fed up with his dealer as I am with mine.

3) By in large, the Service Departments at dealerships seem to be woefully ignorant about how to repair etc... sprinters when compared to other chrysler products. I think it is fair to say that the average chevy or ford dealership would know alot more about a Express or F350 van.

4) It costs a bunch more than a chevy or ford. Unless you put on alot of miles in a year or own it for a decade...i dont think the you can make back the extra upfront cost on fuel savings or resale value (Time will tell!)

IMHO When I am done with my Sprinter my ownership & operational costs will be higher than if I had bought a chevy or ford. However, I will have enjoyed
much better handling, ride, features, etc...that and it is the only van that fits my unique situation (wife, 8 kids-2 that are in wheelchairs). So if standing up inside your van is a big plus for your busines...then a sprinter adds value.

Don't forget that a sprinter turns heads...and your business will get much more visibilty (cheap advertising) if you are in a sprinter compared to ford or chev.

Carpe Diem!

Ed

acvr4

Hey Ray,
I'm using mine for work and haven't had any problems, since the dealer fixed some stuff right after purchase.
I've put about 7k on it since Feburary. I was driving it everywheres, since it had the full coverage warranty from the dealer on it. I figured I get some miles on it to find any problems.
Mine was a on lot used 2005 with some miles on it :laughing: It had more options than their other new 2006 and had the window lay out that I wanted. It looks and performs like a new one -- that's what amazes me.

I'm finally getting around to getting it letter up for my business and still haven't permently set my bins :smirk: Have some other thoughts and want to try a few things differently.
I've had GMC, Chevy and Dodge vans and finally made the step up to this one. I too have a tendency to keep my vans - my last was a 94 B350 Dodge 5.9L and it still runs great and looks pretty good too :thumbup: but once I clean it out I'm selling it. Once you get a Sprinter I don't think there is any going back.

Good luck and hopefully you'll have no problems with yours,
Andy

stp57

Hey Ray,
There are some great pictures of work Sprinters in the photo section. I think one of them was setup for a locksmith. You might get some ideas from looking at them.

Hey Greff,
I bought a 2006 in January because I couldn't wait that long for a 2007 model. I got the dealer down from $34K to $30K. I agree with tab380. If you can't get $5K of the list than you should go for a 2007 instead. It seems that MB has worked out a lot of problems before the 2006 model & as a result, there doesn't seem to be a lot of complaints about the 2006. I wonder if the 2007 will be troublesome like the 2002-3 Sprinter was.
Steve

Last edited:

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
1) will tell!)

IMHO When I am done with my Sprinter my ownership & operational costs will be higher than if I had bought a chevy or ford.
Keep a good record. What with inflation it's hard to make a precise comparison with a previously-owned vehicle, but you can also factor-in CPI to help even out the tally. The results will be interesting to see.

SprinterUSA1

1) Love my 05 sprinter 158 passenger...far superior in all aspects to a chevy or ford...IMHO

3) By in large, the Service Departments at dealerships seem to be woefully ignorant about how to repair etc... sprinters when compared to other chrysler products. I think it is fair to say that the average chevy or ford dealership would know alot more about a Express or F350 van.

4) It costs a bunch more than a chevy or ford. Unless you put on alot of miles in a year or own it for a decade...i dont think the you can make back the extra upfront cost on fuel savings or resale value (Time will tell!)

Hi all,

new on board and lots of keeping up to do.

When I read your statement under point three only thing that comes to mind. That is Ford, Chevy and Dodge(until now) have not changed or improved their vans for over 30 years. The mechanics better know how to fix them.

To point four. Sure does cost more the NCV3's even more than the T1N. Besides the fuel mileage advantage which Ford .... cannot even compare to not even with a $ 3000 option Power Scream or Cummins Diesel ( also a screamer). Then there is the size. None offer anything like the Sprinter be it lenght or height. Even with those ugly after market add ons they do not compare. The ride, turning radius ..........

I think the Sprinter deserves a class for itself.

Sorry guys, I am just not big on any american made vehicle.

stp57

SprinterUSA1, you are correct in saying that the Sprinter should have it's own class.
Also, the price difference is not that great. Ford & Chevy doesn't offer a 5 speed computerized transmission like the Sprinter. Only Chevy offers a diesel engine for now. Only the Ford passenger E150 & the Chevy 3500 offer the traction control (as an option!). Neither van has rack & pinion steering & their independent front suspension is by far inferior to the Sprinter's. Add up the options (and the value for the things that are not even available from Ford & Chevy) for Ford & Chevy against the standard equipment for the Sprinter & I believe that the price is pretty close.
Steve

SprinterUSA1

stp57,

I absolutely agree. I just remember what my sales guy told me the other day. That was something like: Anybody who looks at/considers buying a Sprinter and likes everything in/on it but walks away after the price has been presented simply cannot do math. Once you have driven/ owned a Sprinter you are hooked. And yes it has it's flaws but which product does not.

Cheers
SprinteruSA1

PLUMMER

Do atleast 2 months of research, if you are anything like me you will learn what options are very useful and what are not. My current rig is different than what I originally thought was what I needed. Test drive and stick with a dealer that knows more than you after reading this site. Very Rare. I have informed several dealers of this site of which 3 state that they use this know when they cant find what they need to know. I would say less than 10% of saleman know what they should know about this vehicle. As far as problems I can't help you as i only have 2K+ on mine. Just drove from Las Veges to Michigan.33 Hours ...... Seems very good and not even a doubt about whether it was worth it. I will be looking for more for sure.

Suba

I've got an 04 158" high top with 37000 miles. Never had a problem. ( except some RSN ) Van's always a pleasure to drive. Great visibility. Good in snow and rain. Engine's quiet and responsive. Good fuel mileage. Lot's of room. Did I mention it's a pleasure to drive (!) :thumbup:

Last edited:

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
SprinterUSA1, you are correct in saying that the Sprinter should have it's own class.
Also, the price difference is not that great. Ford & Chevy doesn't offer a 5 speed computerized transmission like the Sprinter. Only Chevy offers a diesel engine for now. Only the Ford passenger E150 & the Chevy 3500 offer the traction control (as an option!). Neither van has rack & pinion steering & their independent front suspension is by far inferior to the Sprinter's. Add up the options (and the value for the things that are not even available from Ford & Chevy) for Ford & Chevy against the standard equipment for the Sprinter & I believe that the price is pretty close.
Steve
Don't forget the automatic stability control...

SprinterUSA1

USA1

I belive in the US there is no differcence in the ESP between the NCV3 Cargo and Passenger vans.

Tom

Tom,

I have not seen that in my van yet. There should be a switch to turn it off, correct? Do not see. ASR, yes.

ESP for T1N only in the passenger version.

SprinterUSA1

PLUMMER

Seems to be on my cargo van , oh no not seems to be, but it is. Also says standard on all vans.........Of course that could be a misprint in the brouchure and on my window sticker.

Top Bottom